1953 Gillette President

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razorhound, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

My 1953 Gillette President just arrived with the postman. I had much trepidation about this razors arrival. Time for a brief backstory. I had been watching a pristine president and case on the bay a few weeks back lusting mightily after it as no razor before(ya right!)and figured it to be a little out of my league price wise. But lust being the powerful motivator that it is I set a max bid a little south of $200 and that was blown out of the water on morning of last day. Sold north of $300. I figure President in that good of shape not in my future realistically. Week later another shows on the bay for a sell price north of $200, only three photo's but what could be seen was sweet other than minor blemish on case. Still more bread than I wanted to drop. Price gets reduced $190 and to make my self feel better I make low ball offer(still a lot of cash for a razor) and shockingly to me it is accepted.

Now I am panicked thinking I just bought my second most expensive shave machine ever with out even being able to scrutinize it well(only three photos)and I am going to learn a bitter lesson. Anyway I see postman coming to the door and thought with sick feeling "well...here we go" I am afraid to open the box expecting unseen angles in photos to be less than hoped for. I opened the case and looked it over twice and almost wept. It is beautiful.(to me) Thank you sir whoever you may be for selling me one of my dream razors at a fair price.[/ATTACH] IMG_0943[1].JPG IMG_0949[1].JPG

2. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

He shoots.
    He scores!!! :sport001:
    :happy096: :signs154:

sdguero, Dansco and Razorhound like this.
  3. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

4. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Well that's pretty awesome! Glad you've found yours - I'm still looking for a #15.

sdguero, Linuxguile and Razorhound like this.
  5. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Had more photos but they wont upload,files to big or something. I could not be happier being I thought my impetuous nature was going to bite me as usual.

sdguero and Dansco like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That looks great. Glad you got it. I found mine almost by accident about 2 1/2 years ago. I saw it in a thrift store and didn't know what it was. I went home and looked it up. I ended up going back and getting it. The guy was asking $40 for it. He even gave me a 10% veteran discount.
    http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2015/05/1953-gillette-president.html

7. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

I find the usual user grade SS and Slims, the occasional Fatboy or open combs in the wild but never a President or Aristocrat. Yet anyway. It is a lot more satisfying that way than hunting on the bay.

sdguero and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

I pretty much have my bucketlist razors now other than a New open comb Deluxe. Never been fascinated with the Toggles for whatever reason, and good thing with the outlay of legal tender required.

9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    You mentioned the aristocrat. The 46-47 is my birth era razor. It was actually the first vintage razor I ever bought. I found it at an antique store. I had actually made the decision to return to DE shaving and went out with the purpose of finding a razor. Well, this is what I found. I did not know what it was. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I realized that it was a 46-47 Aristocrat. I eventually had it replated in gold.
    replate.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    TestDepth, CarlfromMO, AlDm and 4 others like this.
  10. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

:happy096: That is beautiful. Who did the replate for you?

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Beautiful razors up there!

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Sport Shaving

Razorhound likes this.
  13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

GOAL !!!!
    Congratulations R-H.....This is a Beautiful thing....I'm so glad you shared it with us!
    One of those "Life Defining" or at least "Shave Defining" moments....which is both, actually!
    I feel like this enriches all of our days...when these things happen to/for anyone of US...
    I hope you have many wonderful Zen Like Shaves with this gorgeous example of a Functional Art Masterpiece..
    :happy096:

sdguero and Razorhound like this.
  14. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Don't forget about the Sheraton, the Open Comb version of the Aristocrat.

[​IMG]

15. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Interesting. I find that the 48-late model Aristocrats, the Diplomat and the President model Gillettes all shave about the same and do so very well. I have all 3 and my favorite is a pristine Diplomat. For some reason it just seems perfect for me. I find it very hard to use any other razor as they do not measure up to the Gillettes for me. And, that includes some very expensive Stainless steel razors. The Gillettes make them feel like clunkers, stainless steel clunkers, but still clunkers! Nice President you have there. A mechanical work of Art!

Razorhound and sdguero like this.
  16. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Very handsome piece of shaving equipment as well. Thank you for helping enable me in my struggle with RAD! :)

Jorvaljr likes this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Congrats ! I know how you feel. When I got mine I was ecstatic and I too got it for a great deal

Razorhound likes this.
  18. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Beautiful Razor! This is still on my short list of razors I want to pick up just haven't been lucky enough to find one I can afford.

Razorhound and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your find. :happy088: I've always wanted a President but like you found the cash out lay a little to much.
    I do own a 46-47 Aristocrat it's one of the few TTO's I enjoy shaving with. If the President shaves anything like it your going to enjoy using it ALOT.:)

Razorhound likes this.