First shave with Rolls No 2 Imperial

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Steve_Keyte, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Steve_Keyte

Steve_Keyte Active Member

I picked up a couple of Rolls No 2 Imperials the other week in a local antique shop for 16 GBP (about 21 USD). Both were in reasonable condition and only needed a light cleaning to remove years of caked on grease from the mechanism, the blades a honed on some cheap stones I got from Amazon (1000 them 2000 then 6000 grit) with two layers of tape on the blade spines, I then stropped the blade using the Rolls strop with some Solingen red paste (I had previously restored the stop by cleaning and treating with Neatsfoot oil). Examining the blade edge through a cheap 60X pocket microscope the blade edge looked OK, showing light polishing marks across the bevel and no chips etc. to the cutting edge.
    The first shave I did using Saponifico Varesino 'Felce Aromatica Beta 4' soap, a little wetter than I would use for a DE shave and I must say I was pleasantly surprised, the razor shaved really close with no discomfort except some slight tugging, which I put down to a combination of less than perfect technique and possibly a blade which could do with some more honing / stropping.
    Overall I'm very impressed with the razor and I'll certainly keep using it to perfect my technique, it made a pleasant change from my usual DE razors!

Steve

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    AGHisBBS, Keithmax, RezDog and 3 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@Billyfergie is the resident go-too, for Rolls Razor advice.
    My 2 cents is that most smooth edges, on razors, have been obtained by honing minimum 8k and above.

Billyfergie and Steve_Keyte like this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I saw one once in an antique shop, but I didn't know what I was looking at.
    I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You have Done the Right thing Takin it to the bevel Hone then Working through a Progression..The Rolls Hone is a 12 K Slate..The Blade Needs Honed to 12 K Really before Putting it on the Rolls 12 K Slate...The Rolls 12 K Slate is a Maintenance Hone & Don't Reckon it Will Pick Up a 6 K Edge..Too Big a Leap..So..I Recommend a 12 K Finisher then Put it Onto the Rolls System..I have Honed More of these Blades than I Can Recall & 6K is Way Short I Reckon for the Rolls System to Pick Up..:happy088:

One Layer of Tape Keeps it Compatible with Rolls System..Two Layers is One Layer Too Many..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    AGHisBBS and Keithmax like this.
  5. Steve_Keyte

Thanks the the helpful tips Billy, I'm getting a 12000 grit stone to try improving the blade, I don't want to spend a fortune on stones etc. at this point, I bought the two razors more of a curio and they were cheap, but now I might try to get the blades up to peak shaving condition as I'm very impressed with the first shave with what is more than likely a sub-standard blade!

Steve

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Billyfergie

5 Micron & 3 Micron Lapping Film will Do the Job as Well as Any Synthetic..Cheap as Chips..:happy088:

Steve_Keyte and Zykris like this.
  7. Steve_Keyte

Well I had a look at the spare blades which came with the razors, one of them appeared unused, still being coated in petroleum jelly. I cleaned it and had a careful examine of the edge using the hand held pocket microscope and the blade edge looked 'cleaner', finer polishing marks and the actual cutting edge looked defect free, so I gave it twenty laps on the hone and the stropped the blade, the shave I had with it this afternoon was an improvement on the first, using the same soap and brush the shave was more comfortable, still not 100% tug-free, but better than the first.
    As Billy has suggested I've ordered some lapping film so when this arrives next week I'll hone the first blade, using one layer of tape as suggested and using the lapping film, hopefully this will do the trick with the blades,

Steve

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Billyfergie

I Personally Take My Rolls Blades to 16 K on My Escher Thuri...I Strop Mine with One Layer of Tape as Pictured Earlier on the Hone on a Normal SR Strop on the Table..I Get Superb Shaves..In Other Words I Don't Use the Rolls System at All..:D

That Said..I Can Get Nice Shaves from the Rolls System as its a Darn Fine Set Up..But My Way is Light Years Sharper & Smoother with an Escher Thuri 16 K Edge & Using a Proper SR Strop..:happy088:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    TestDepth likes this.
  9. Steve_Keyte

I did the blade with the 5 and 3 micron lapping film on a float glass plate and when I viewed the edge it's now shows very fine polishing across the bevel, so I'm going to have a shave with it in the morning, hopefully this one will be a big improvement!

Steve

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.