FREE CREAM - The Shave Cream Challenge

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Vlasta, May 24, 2017.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I had to add a good bit more water to that one than I thought. Once I did, I got a pretty slick lather out of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Vlasta and mrchick like this.
  2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Used sample D this morning. It was okay, perhaps a little thirsty, but made a lather which protected my face and I shaved. Scent was not objectionable. My face felt a little dry after, but clean up seemed to be pretty easy.

Jim99, Keithmax and Vlasta like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

“I” was on tap for tonight. From the feel, I figured this one could be split into thirds and still provide enough lather. I was right, this could actually provide enough for four shaves. If this isn’t Cella; it’s a darn good Chinese knock off :)

Vlasta and Jim99 like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@Vlasta , I’ll be sure to send over my spreadsheet tomorrow night. I can’t wait to see the results tallied up and the brand names of the creams.

Linuxguile, Vlasta and Keithmax like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Your done already????

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yup! I think I was the first to start.
    :)

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Shave with H is done. Pretty nice cream, I thought. Not quite my favorite of these samples, but a worthy cream. My expectations may have been lowered due to a couple of suggestions from @wristwatchb and @Vlasta, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

Spyder, mrchick, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

2nd shave with sample D. It went well. No surprises, but I really like the clean up after. Very little thick oily scum left on the razor, brush and sink. That is a huge plus for me. The cream itself provided lather for a shave and a not obnoxious scent.

Vlasta, Jim99, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  10. SharptoothC

It was definitely a solid performer. The only hold back was that I didn't love the scent. I didn't hate it, either. But that's been in large part my experience with this whole thing. There really haven't been any duds that I just hated. All have been usable to varying degrees within an acceptable range. All have lathered easily, no cuts or weepers. Yeah, there's been some variation in slickness and cushion, but not to the degree that there is one I could not use, especially with a little time to dial it in. Scent has been my biggest variable, and being that it is purely subjective and none has been so off-putting that I would not use it

I finished with "I" last night. I have never tried Cella, but I could see the assertion that this is it to be plausible based on what I have read of it. The scent was pleasant, if a bit milder that I expected. I got enough lather for about 7 passes. I only took three. It wasn't the slickest soap ever, IMO, but it was a pleasant shave experience.

Vlasta, Norcalnewb, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Just got done using H. So far it's the highest rated cream I've used yet. Slick as ice and cushiony as a downy pillow. Scent, not a clue. Didn't really find it "Holy Cow!" but it wasn't "Gross." This one I would buy definitely.

Vlasta, mrchick, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Just used "D", the test lather was very promising but was drying out a big on my face. Can't wait to see the final results and the big unvailing.

Vlasta, mrchick and Spyder like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The second shave with (Cella) I. I switched brushes to the RR Monster to accommodate the lather. I split this piece into thirds, and could have probably split it into 5-6! I just kept feeding this water and it just kept growing in volume! Below is the leftovers for the third pass! This time I made sure I used a 6/8 razor, so I wasn’t rinsing water from the blade every stroke!​

2CF72600-76C9-4222-BA18-85D680BBA7F0.jpeg B7F63180-0352-474F-B809-FBEFAC2109BF.jpeg

Linuxguile, Vlasta, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am done with my shave with I, and I will agree that it others it sure seems like Cella. Good shave.

B6AA5BE5-3BD5-426E-A01F-6E40679C9C2E.jpeg

Vlasta, Keithmax, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  15. SharptoothC

J is in the books. Very pleasant shave. Lather was quite nice. The scent drove me crazy. It was not bad. I just could not put my finger on the scent profile. I cannot explain what it smells like.

Vlasta, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Must be Tabac!

Vlasta, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  17. SharptoothC

It is most certainly not Tabac. I'd know that scent anywhere.

18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Is that positive or a negative?

Vlasta likes this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It’s brown sugar/ cinnamon I tell ya! Take this from a crusty old chem e who’s nose have spent decades sniffing solvents, amines and other forms of methyl ethyl bad stuff. :D

Vlasta, Norcalnewb and Linuxguile like this.
  20. SharptoothC

I love me some Tabac.

Vlasta, Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.