Anyone remember their dad Shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Knox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Because I exist, I have a father. I have never had a dad.

I learned how to shave via TSD; so y'all be my daddy.

2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Yup. He used a Schick Injector (I think Type E) that I also started with until I fell for the Trac 2 when it hit the stores. I have 3 injectors that I still use about once a month. Still a great performer. I wish I had today, but unbeknownst to me my mom chucked it long ago when his eyes whet bad and he had to transition to an electric.

3. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

My dad used a Gillette single blade throw away plastic head. I remember my grandpa using a superspeed or something similar. He also used soap in a bowl with a nice brush. I wished I thought of trying to get those items after his passing. Now when I shave I think of him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Sure do, Dad used a Black Handled Razor, I think it was a Gillette Super Speed. The smell of one brand of canned shaving soap always makes me feel like I am six years old, and being chased by him around the house for trying to splash him with cold water, Barbasol flying onto the living room sofa and rug, Mom somehow blaming me......:rolleyes:

5. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Yes I do. First memories were of him using an adjustable Gillette black handle DE, then he switched to Gillette Good News disposables. Always with Barbasol canned cream. Never a brush. This was the late 70’s. He gave me a Good News razor for my first shave around age 14. He’s passed now and I’d so love to have him here and buy him a nice brush and soap setup. Fortunately I’ve passed my razor, brush, soap routine on to one of my sons.

6. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I have a vague memory of my Dad shaving with a TTO DE razor. I think it was a Gillette, but cannot verify that. Maybe he was a Schick man.
    I think he bought me my first razor, which was a Schick Adjustable, but I don't remember him teaching me to shave.
    Honestly, I remember that we talked about shaving, but I don't remember my Dad showing me how to shave.

I have the last razor he used, which is a Schick Tracer FX. I vaguely remember him talking to me about that razor. I was a Gillette Atra fan by then.
    Sorry to say that I didn't get into this shave thing as a hobby until years after my Dad had died. So I really didn't pay much attention to his shaving habits.
    I do remember a long period where he used an electric razor (Norelco). I used one for a while too (Braun).

Unfortunately, my Mom didn't pay much attention to that either. So all I have is his last Schick Tracer razor and an older Rubberset brush that Dad used.

I try to talk shaving to my 2 sons (they are grown men), but they are less interested than I was as a young man. Maybe that will change one day.

Norcalnewb, Jim99, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My two are 22 and 25 and have gotten in to Slims, Fat Boys and Edwin Jaggers.

Jim99, GatorJoe, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Growing up I remember my Dad shaving with his Gillette Executive (gold fat boy). I have it now and it is a prized possession. He was an Old Spice kind of guy (soap mug and AS). I also have his mug. I can remember him working up a thick lather with a green handle boar brush. In his later years he used canned goo and disposables. When he was in the nursing home I would visit and give him a great shave, hot towel treatment and all the fixings. I remember it used to make him feel so good. Special memories.

Norcalnewb, Jim99, GatorJoe and 4 others like this.
  9. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

That's good on you Enrico!
    My 2 sons are 35 and 28. The older one uses a DE and loves Arko. The younger one uses the latest form of the Gillette fusion.

They used to be strictly electric shavers, so have made some progress.

Neither is interested in trying out straight razors or shavettes yet.
    Maybe someday. :)

Jim99, GatorJoe, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  10. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My Dad used an Aristocrat, cheap boar brushes and Tabac or Williams soap in a mug. He favored Aqua Velva aftershave. Sometimes he used Skin Bracer by Mennen.

sdguero, Norcalnewb, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My dad used a DE when I was very young, but used a cart when I was a bit older. He used Barbasol for his cream. He used to let me "shave" with him using the back of a comb much like a straight razor. In reality those are some of my earliest memories, not to mention my fondest. It is why I try to get my son to shave with me now, although as he is getting older, he is loosing interest in doing it. We still have fun, and I hope he will cherish those memories like I do. I can say these memories with my son rank right up there with the ones I have with my dad.

AGHisBBS, GatorJoe, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This is a very heartwarming thread and I’ve now read our posts over a couple of times. The stories are amazing and the father and son bond/experience is so strong and long lasting.

Fathers sure do have an influence on their children. I posted earlier about my dad and watching him shave. I remember when he bought me a toy DE razor that I would open up to put in cardboard blades. It came with a small can of shaving cream. I loved it and even shaved next to my father on occasion with it. My sisters were jealous! I must have been no more than 5 years old at the time, but I used to feel like a grown up using it.

Maybe some of us question if we’ve done enough for our children and wonder if we’ve been a good enough role model for them. I’m sure our fathers thought the same thing. Reading these posts show that our dads did make that lasting impression on us and it seems that it was mostly for the better. I realize that none of us are perfect. Maybe sometimes it’s the mundane things we do in life and share with others that make the most difference.

Thanks for sharing.

:)

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband recalled having the same kind of toy razor. He loved it when his dad lathered him up and let him “shave.”

AGHisBBS, GatorJoe, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Dad would always rub chins with us kids before his shave. Felt like sandpaper. This was kind of like welcomed torture to us:) I passed this practice down to my boys and now to my grand kids. Of course I perform this ritual after the shave;) Below is a picture of me and my dad when I was just a little "shaver".

Normal (LazyLens 20160203 090132 HD) 1.jpg

15. Guy Woodall

Guy Woodall Active Member

I remember my father using a Gillette Slim Twist, before he moved onto an electric. After he retired he switched to a Mach 3. He originally used a shave stick eras if I think. Latter he used TOBS rose or lavender. I recently found a similar slim on eBay and have given it to my brother as part of his 50th birthday present (the first time he has used a DE since basic training).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

My dad had a techmatic and shaved with Gillette Foamy Sensitive. He switched to trac II and then Sensor carts, before giving up shaving and growing a beard.

I showed him my DE collection back when I started and he said something like "I hope the blades are better" and "why would you do that to yourself?" I take it the DE blades of his era wren't very sharp.

AGHisBBS, Norcalnewb and sdguero like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I started with a de, not that the blades weren’t that sharp; they rarely got changed. As I remember, you could milk a trac II almost indefinitely, by using more pressure.

AGHisBBS and sdguero like this.
  18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I talk about my Pop's shaving habits around here quite a bit...I feel like I re-bond with him everytime I shave, and many other activities that we shared..

First time I saw him shave, I was probably 4...He was using a Schick I2 Hydro-magic, a brush, and some GREAT smelling soap. He brushed my nose with it when he caught me watching...But the dye was cast...That Hydro-magic had captured my fancy. After he was through, I picked up his injector blade dispenser and started rifleing off blades into the sink :shocked003:...He caught me and very gently discouraged me and put the razor and blades on the top shelf of the medicine cabinet....Later I climbed up on the sink, scored the razor and checked out that Hydro-magic lever...then inserted the blade key and rifled off the rest of the blades in the magazine...:happy102:

After that incident, he got me a toy DE razor that loaded cardboard blades, and he and I would shave together. And he would show me how to make a lather and how to rinse the whiskers out of the razor...BUT each day after our shave he would disappear in the Master Bedroom with his razor and blades and I have no idea where he hid them...:rolleyes005: And trust me, I looked...};^))

This period was short lived...Very soon after he switched to canned goo....I started school...time marches on...

When I bought my first razor, I bought a black Super Speed. dad asked to see it. He shook it and it rattled. He said, "Your a better man than I.....I wouldn't be able to put a sharp blade in something that rattled like that, and drag it around my face, first thing in the morning!" and he laughed, and disappeared into his bedroom. When he came out he called me and asked if I wanted a real razor...and he handed me that I2 Hydro-magic that I loved so much as a child...I grabbed it! Another Schick Head was born!

Our house was ALWAYS a strict Schick House..Years later, when my brothers and I were shaving...If Dad would go into the bathroom to shave and someone had left a Super-speed on the sink...Dad would be humming and filling the sink with hot water...He'd casually look over at the Gillette and pick it up, look at it and always casually toss it into the trash...:rofl:and go about shaving...
    Needless to say...no one left their Gillettes laying around very often in our house!!!

He was a dyed in the wool TWS guy and loved a great shave... Over the years, when either me or my brothers would gift him cartridge razors, he would thank us profusly...But they would end up unopened...He never succumbed to the cartridge revolution..Man, he would have loved it around here!!

Heres a Schick Hydro-magic with a shave mug my wife had a pix of my Pop put on as a surprise...
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  19. major_works

major_works Member

Yes, I do remember my Dad shaving. He had a TTO Gillette, but which model, I couldn't say. I know that it was adjustable because I distinctly recall playing with the dial. I also remember Mom's Lady Gillette; it had the little "stars" on the handle.

I don't have either razor, alas. Sure wish I did.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Great recollection!