What razor has slipped through your fingers??

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Nov 22, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs081: Better luck next time.

Karl G, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  3. DaltonGang

It's better this way. My other razors would have been jealous.

4. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

When I read the title of this thread I thought there would be blood and chipped edges.

:scared007:

AGHisBBS, George X, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

Yeah, the first thing I thought of was when I was shaving bare footed and my 7/8 (or something extra heavy) Hart Steel slipped out of my hand and took a tumble toward my feet. You know how time suddenly slowed to a crawl in The Matrix? It was like that. A split second seemed to last forever as I had visions of that razor going through my foot. Fortunately, there was a clang instead of a splat, followed immediately by "Thank God it missed my... Oh God! The Razor!" Luckily, the edge didn't make contact with the floor and the only sign of dropage was the razor flopped around loose in the scales... Which is easily fixable with those razors.

Jim99, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is why I always wear 'protection' when using a straight. I had a similar event with a PRC razor, it missed everything but it did chip the edge. Yes, it happened in slow motion.

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

No picture......didn't happen.

Keithmax, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

TestDepth, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I gave a Barbasol Floating Head to a friend. I later found out that my two buck shaver was worth two hundred bucks.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If its any consolation, the blade and tang on that particular ODH are showing the tell-tale splatter signs of celluloid rot present in the scales.
    The blade may be salvageable, but the scales have already begun their descent into useless oblivion...

odh-rot.png

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    I Thought that this Beautiful NOS 1962 Russian 5/8th Birth Year SR had Slipped through My Fingers.. @Karl G Put Me Onto it on Our Friendly Russian Seller EBay Site..I Said Yeah..Maybe..He Kept on at Me to Press the Button on it..I Went Yeah Soon..Then Someone Bought it Next Time I Looked..:eek:

A Couple of Weeks Later Much to My Surprize it Arrived at My Door in Scotland..Karl had Bought it & Got the Russian Seller to Send it Over as a Surprize Gift..So there You have it..The One that Slipped through My Fingers But Ended Up in My Hand..Thanks to Karl..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 7 others like this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Och Aye - it’s what happens when a stubborn German meets an immovable Scots. :happy102:

Keithmax, DaltonGang, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  14. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

There have been many...both on the bay and in antique stores. I should have purchased them, but didn’t and regretted it later. But alas...I try not to look in the rear view mirror of life’s regrets and keep my eyes on the road ahead of me.

15. DaltonGang

Thanks, that helps. It seems that most Otto Deutsch on eBay have cell rot.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very true. The fragility of those scales is the very reason why an intact ODH razor is so highly prized if one can find this particular razor in stable condition.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I passed an Otto Deutch this past summer at an antique store, while on vacation. It was typically stained but otherwise in great condition. I passed on $25, but in hindsight; should have snatched it up.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.