The Barbasol Shaving Cream Travel Can Experiment - Sensitive Skin

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by sdguero, Oct 16, 2017.

1. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the amount of shaves per can, as this thread is proving out @sdguero is getting an amazing amount of shaves from a lowly travel size can. As I predicted before, my guess is 40shaves before the 2oz is gone, YMMV.

Bama Samurai, Bird Lives and sdguero like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

What do you mean dissagree....Disagree with what? All I did was agree with sdguero, and say the quality of the cream was great also.....Are you saying that the quality of the cream is bad....or that you don't usually get alot of shaves per can....or WHAT?

I'm not arguing...I just don't understand what you are dissagreeing with...please indulge me and explain, sometimes I'm a little dense....:happy097:

Bama Samurai and sdguero like this.
  3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, I think we just had a miscommunication or misunderstanding of what was said. Seems to me we're on the same side: Barbasol is a terrific product; and, the little travel can is loaded with a ton of shave cream.

Let's move along now, folks. Nothing to see here. :cool:

Bama Samurai and Bird Lives like this.
  4. Bird Lives

What do YOU mean...Theres alot to see here :happy097:
    You're running a very cool thread here! Theres great cream....cool razors...mystery and suspense (just how many shaves will the can give?) :rofl:
    Theres alot happening around your place, my friend :happy096:

5. sdguero

You're absolutely right! I didn't even think about the mystery and suspense part. :rolleyes: I was just having fun with my razors and the Barbasol. :thanks:

AGHisBBS and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  6. sdguero

Shave #27 11.18.2017

Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Shave Cream + Soap: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can + Tabac soap http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/page-4
    Razor: Merkur 34c
    Blade: Derby (I've no idea how many shaves this one has had)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Skin PS Balm, Stetson Cooling Moisture AS, Stetson Original Cologne

I sensed a disturbance in the Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can Force this day. As I carefully dispensed the creamy, rich lather from its tiny travel sized nozzle, I heard it spit out a bit of air and expel two small air bubbles with the golf-ball sized dollop. Hmmmm.... I'm hoping to get at least 30 shaves out of this can. I like even numbers, but whatever happens, happens.

Today, I augmented the Barbasol with Tabac. Neither product needs the assistance of the other one, but because I'm doing head shaves and I need more lather than the single golf-ball sized d0llop called for in my experiment I'm augmenting, adding to, molesting, adulterating (or whatever you want to call it) the Barbasol with something -else. In this case I loaded up the brush with Tabac and bowl-lathered. Then I dispensed the dollop of Barbasol to the brush and whipped it up with the Tabac in the bowl. I added a photo of the lather to http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/page-4

I don't remember the last time I used the Merkur 34c (one of my early favorites) so I pulled it out to use. Still had a blade in it from last time. I don't usually leave blades in the razor but I did, and I used it. The blade, the razor and the lather all worked great! Achieved a DFS. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    IMG_1687.JPG

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

40ish

ilts, AGHisBBS and sdguero like this.
  8. sdguero

You may be right.... We're getting closer to that number.
    -Dan

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

How's it treating your scalp?

10. Bama Samurai

Scalp Tonic for fun. Try Osage. I use something in mine every day, even Vitalis or Jeris. I don't shave, but 1/2 guard and fade it myself every week.

11. sdguero

No issues or problems whatsoever. I'll give it a rest until Monday and we'll do Shave 28!

12. sdguero

I'll consider that. I've seen Osage, but have never tried it. I'm always open to trying new products.

13. Bama Samurai

Osage is really strong menthol, light powder scent that goes with most AS. I use it on scalp and face. Just don't get nuts with it.

sdguero likes this.
  14. AGHisBBS

I'm gonna have to say I'm sorry here, I saw your first post as "not a lot of shaves per can" rather than "not just a lot of shaves per can". Mea culpa.

sdguero likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Gotsha! I wasn't giving you a hard time....I was just trying to understand....Thanks for clearing that up, my friend....

AGHisBBS and sdguero like this.
  16. sdguero

Shave #28 11.20.2017
    Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
    Shave creams: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can + CO Bigelow Premium Shave Cream
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/
    Razor: Schick Krona
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (4)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Skin Cooling PS Balm, Skin Bracer

Today's shave was the last shave for this travel size can of Barbasol Sensitive Skin. I had bowl-whipped lather from the CO Bigelow and then I picked up the Barbasol can and pushed the button.... as soon as I did so it spit, and sputtered but it dispensed nearly a golf ball-sized or a little less of somewhat liquefied lather. Then it stopped, and I mean stopped. I pressed down more on the button but it was finished. The Barbasol travel size can declared, "No more, 28 shaves is all you get from me."

So what have we learned? First of all, when I started this experiment in the middle of October, I was certain that I would be done by the 1st of November. After all, I'm using a travel can... with 2 oz. (57 g) of product. I frequently use travel sized deodorant, toothpaste, and mouthwash, and you all probably know that they do not last more than a few days, and I'm talking no more than a week. I decided I would shave everyday in October to get this done. I was still doing face shaves and every few days I'd shave my head, but I only used the Barbasol for my face shaves and something else for my head shaves. My goal was to use only a golf ball sized dollop from the Barbasol can which meant I had enough for 2 complete passes and some touch-ups. By the time November 1st arrived, I was already finished with Shave #17. Think of it... 17 shaves, or 17 days. A golf ball sized dollop for each shave... from this little can. And it wasn't finished yet.

November arrived, and I had to change my tactics. I promised my wife months ago I wouldn't face shave in November. But I do head shaves every few days. I wanted to continue with that single dollop as if I were face shaving to try and be as consistent in product use as I could. Unlike my face shaves, I knew that a single golf ball sized dollop of Barbasol would not be enough to do more than 1 comfortable and protective pass for the head, so I would have to combine it with something else. I had other Barbasol flavors and I augmented the single dollop from the travel can with that... or I combined it with another product, either a soap puck or a shave cream and I got amazing results. You can go to this thread for details (and pictures) ... http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/

So in answer to the previous question... what have we learned?

1. The Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can is packed full of lather which should last about a month's worth of shaves, depending upon the amount you use.
    2. Interestedly, I also have a travel size can of Barbasol Original which is 2.25 oz (64 g) of product. I suppose the extra 1/4 oz would provide about 4 to 5 additional shaves. I've no idea how much I've used this can previously so it wasn't part of this experiment. I knew the Sensitive Skin was brand new and when I first used it.
    3. Whether you like "canned goo" or not, Barbasol really does offer a shave cream which is comfortable, cushiony, protective, and feels good on the skin. As a side note, I like Sandalwood scents, and the Sensitive Skin has a mild Sandalwood scent, ergo, I like it.
    4. If you need a quick option for shaving because you don't have time to whip up a lather and subsequent clean-up, Barbasol is a worthy choice.
    5. Barbasol blends well with other shave soaps and creams.

Imagine.... 28 golf ball-sized dollops from this 2 oz can. We'll bid farewell to this empty travel sized can, but for those who want to know this empty can will go to the City's recycling center and repurposed.

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

Excellent shave today. I'm very tempted to start shaving my face again because the whiskers are driving me crazy, but I promised my bride I wouldn't (face) shave this month. The things we do for love, right? :angelic013:

Have a great week, everyone! And Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

17. AGHisBBS

I want to thank @sdguero for this groundbreaking thread. He persevered through many more shaves than he thought he would when he took on this responsibility. Traveling shavers everywhere can now rest assured that they will have almost a full month of excellent Barbasol shaves in a format that easily fits into any Dopp bag or shave kit.

ilts and sdguero like this.
  18. Bird Lives

Congrats SD on a job well-shaved!!

Very interesting project, I'm sorry it's over...Although, you sure can't fault the Babasol...It acquitted itself more than admirably!

I shaved with the Arctic Chill today....I forgot how nice of a menthol fix this cream is capable of serving up!
    My compliments to the chef !!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    ilts, AGHisBBS and sdguero like this.
  19. sdguero

Thank you, both!

And thanks to everyone who has followed the progress of this little can of shave cream.

AGHisBBS and ilts like this.
  20. Bird Lives

Barbasol Travel Size: The Little Can, That Could!!!

AGHisBBS, ilts and sdguero like this.