Has anybody got the SV strop ?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Olie29, Dec 16, 2017.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

These are my go to strops. I have a lot of them, since even with years of experience, I nick them now and then. Tony is a very nice guy to deal with. As I say, they are my favorite strops. I recommend getting the three inch width ones. Avoid the "vegan" one.

2. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Any one have any advice on what width would be best for a starter strop ?

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

I do like the look of that limited edition !

Spyder, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My recommend width would be 3”. Then you don’t have to learn to strop in an “X” pattern to cover the entire width of your blade. That simplifies the motion and hopefully decreases the chance of a nick or a cut.
    I’ll have to be honest though; I didn’t and don’t own a three incher:)

JohnDB and Olie29 like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The 827 is a Russian Leather, rough textured, and a slow draw.
    The 127 is smooth, and a fast draw.
    It's a matter of preference. @gssixgun (our resident Straight Razor Guru), suggested the 827, when I was starting out. It has performed great, on all my razors, and I have acquired a few.

gssixgun, Keithmax, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not bragging, but I still have the first and only strop I've ever used - one extremely small nick, barely noticeable.
    Two inches wide. I strop in an X pattern. I started slow, took my time, paid attention to what I was doing. Did I mention only one small nick?

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

B3B5AAE1-B664-4368-8FDD-1146DE582F6D.gif

Keithmax and Olie29 like this.
  8. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Thanks appreciate that...all stuff I had no clue about but that’s why didn’t want to just rush out and buy one I’d rather learn first what I should be taking into consideration

TestDepth and Spyder like this.
  9. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Suppose some people just take to it like a duck on water, I for one certainly won’t be going at it hell for leather...no pun intended... with my new strop !

Keithmax, Spyder and TestDepth like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

No, he is just old and slow. :happy097::happy102::happy097::happy102:

Spyder, Olie29 and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Well there’s that, and the fact that he hasn’t let the edge actually touch the strop since he nicked it that one time. Fool me once......

DaltonGang, Spyder and Olie29 like this.
  12. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Lol I would be pissed tho with the first nick on a £200 strop...wouldn’t want to use it again

DaltonGang, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

20,000 comedians outta work...
    Now I know where they hang out. :D

14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

So this might sound weird but I did this early on to get a feel for what strop width meant...
    Fold 3 newspaper sections in a 2”, 2.5”, & 3” widths at about 18-24” in length. Keep it decently thick to mimic a little like leather. Then strop a razor if you have one or a butter knife for the feel.
    Might help with the decision. :)
    Tom.

Spyder, Keithmax and Olie29 like this.
  15. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Thanks il give that a go with one of my Feather AC’s...Think they are slightly smaller than the straight but it’s worth a go to get a feel of what width I’m gonna be working with

Spyder, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  16. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Torlof @ Scruppleworks makes amazing strops and can do both high end and starter strops.
    Alastair @ Westholm is amazing, but he’s currently watch and shoot on Facebook for the time being.
    Kanayama is also very very nice.

TestDepth and Keithmax like this.