SoS: Dec 11 - 17, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thanks, Steve, and these all-amber handles are a joy to photograph in natural lighting. :)

Smooth Steve and clint64 like this.
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Occam’s Razor 2 dot & Schick Proline #1
    Maggard 30mm B&W
    Stache SoapWorks Black Pepper
    Nivea 2in1 lotion
    Stache SoapWorks A/S Splash
    F1FE6BD3-76C0-4A32-9908-E77297F5D04F.jpeg
    Great shave this evening with the Occam’s and Proline. A 3 pass with the 2 dot head and an excellent BBS finish. Theshaves with this razor have great. Nine shaves in and the last 5-6 shaves have been drama free with excellent efficiency and closeness. Looks like a keeper in the rotation. Have a great evening and shaves Gents... ;)

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a consistently fantastic shaver. Excellent 2 pass shave, with the first pass leaving me with a DFS, With the second pass, I was left with a BBS shave. It was buttery smooth, even with the ATG pass. Top shelf razor. I wouldn't hesitate getting another, if the opportunity arises, and it was in good shape.

Razor- "Gong Razor", by ERN. Extra Hollow Ground.
    Brush- Stirling Boar.
    Soap- Arko/Sandalwood
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Deep Woods. Coleman Lantern Decanter.

PC161416.JPG

4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 17 December 2017 "SOTD"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
    Lather: - Route 66 ~ Lavender Woods 3x
    Bowl: - Captain's Choice
    Razor: - Schöne Italian Open Comb
    Blade: - Treet Platinum #2
    Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
    Fragrance: - L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This soap was a very generous gift from Douglas Carey and boy do I like it. Wonderful stuff!
    Oleo Soapworks El Caballero Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Edwin Jagger DE89 Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave
    Have a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  6. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Good evening to all. I was on the road all week and thus my travel set up was the ticket for 5 days.

Omega boar/badger mix travel brush (this one is the size of the bambino, but not pure badger)
    Fine Green Vetiver
    Merkur 37C slant
    Cold water/alum/cold water
    Proraso blue aftershave balm.

The slant is a reliable razor that I've always found to be somewhat mild. It delivered a smooth, comfortable shave everyday, even in the hotel.

7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

DEcember 16th SOTD
    #53/58 British Aristocrat Jr w Nacet (2)
    TGN Synthetic/ Mahogany
    B&M Cheshire SS
    Thayers
    Jeeves of Hudson St. Tobacco & Bay AS
    BF299104-B848-4D76-A6BB-F3B580DAF0E1.jpeg

8. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

December 16, 2017
    Shave of the Night

The Soap & Aftershave was the winner of a 6 soap pass around that went coast to coast with most active members of the "How to Grow a Mustache Google Plus" forum. It is a amazing group of guys that share in this hobby/mania, there is ZERO Drama, no bickering over hardware or Trashing artisans & most importantly there is absolutely no political discussions. The soap tin and bottle is how Doug packaged his soap years ago. I like the large 8 oz tin.

brush = by Scott Kennard Colorado Razor Designs
    razor= Colonial General.

[​IMG]

9. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

that lather catcher has the Most AWESOME handle! I would love one on my Gem Jr L.C. Fuzzy had a great youtube shave with a similar handle.

10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sunday SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Dubl Duck Goldedge 5/8 Full Hollow
    Brush: Paladin PK-47 26mm Blonde Badger
    Bowl: Prohibition Style
    Pre-Shave Scrub: Saponificio Varesino Honey & Grain
    Pre-Shave Oil: Homemade Bay Rum w Lime
    Shave Soap: Prohibition Style Capone's Bayrum
    Aftershave: Extro Bay Rum Artigianale

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    clint64 and mrchick like this.
  12. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Thank you again very much :happy088:

clint64 likes this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Feeling like a Dork...
    Razor: Dorko 14
    Brush: Vie Long Lord Randal brown horsehair
    Soap: The Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost (Best $0.01 soap ever!!! :))
    A/S: Razorock Irish Countryside
    EE171F11-AD81-4162-BC0D-2FF80403DC58.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave... and don’t be afraid of being a Dork!
    Tom.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!!

December 16 - It's TOGGLE TIME!

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Stirling Barbershop
    Brush - 30 DC LE
    Post - Alum

So, I started to post this about an hour ago but decided to catch up first. Wow! This place is just like I like it. Busy! Ok, so here we go. Still "Toggle Time" here, but I'm changing it up to compare the Fatboy to the Toggle. My Fattie is a 1959 model while the Toggle is 1960. The Toggle was the first to be made in 1955 and given a number of trials. The Fatboy followed and ended up outselling the Toggle, thus condemning the Toggle to the dustbin - until we all found it. The purpose of the comparison is to see which I prefer and if I can determine a definite reason. They are extremely similar in head geometry, gap is identical, weight isn't that much different. The real difference is a toggle to open the razor versus a dial. So why did the Toggle fail? At least I'll have my opinion when I'm done. Not saying it will be the absolute truth, but at least a subjective look.

I'll be using both razors on 6 and with a Voskhod. Starting with the Fatboy tonight to make it a fresh feel after 9 days on the Toggle. Tomorrow I'll switch to the Toggle. Then back to the Fatboy, then back to Toggle then back.....you get the idea. Until I can make a decision.

As far as tonight's shave I went with the highly decadent Stirling Barbershop lather and scent, brought to life with the LE brush. Unbelievably decadent. I did three full passes, not because I needed that third pass, but because I was just enjoying it way too much. The baby is in the house with quiet alum and no issues. Mmmmmmmmm good.

[​IMG]

15. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

LOL. I swear I didn't copy you!

clint64 likes this.
  17. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Crown King - Oubliette Synergy SE
    Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar
    Radio 1912 | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

Oubliette is the official soap/splash of the How To Grow A Mustache G+ group. While this is the "Special Edition Reboot" version utilizing the throw-back 6 oz. oversized tins and apothecary bottles, it's my understanding they will later be offered in the traditional plastic tubs and glass flask bottles. I'm apparently a rare wet shaving community whore, equally comfortable in online fora, FaceBook groups, Google+ groups, and Reddit (r/wetshaving and r/wicked_edge). As a result, I was intrigued to see just what fragrance was chosen to be representative of the HTGAM community. Throw in "Special Edition" and you've got me.

Oubliette uses the high-butter Crown King base which I've only recently discovered and regret I'd not discovered it sooner. I've lathered Crown King with badger, synthetic, and now boar. I can confirm this is one of the easiest soaps to lather in my den. I was a bit overzealous with the load, given the perfect storm of the wide-mouth tin and the huge Omega knot harvested from the PRO48, so some lather was wasted. It did contribute to a quick shower head and face shave courtesy of the large coverage from the knot and above average slickness from the soap. In my previous impressions of this Crown King base, I tentatively placed it among the leaders in the artisan community. I'm now confident in that assessment. This is an upper-tier soap in terms of performance.

My only complaint with PAA/Crown King splashes is the inclusion of alum. Sure there are fans of alum, but it's just unnecessary. Alum gives me a brief redness that I'd rather do without. I suppose it is a testament to my enjoyment of the fragrances in that I continue to use them despite this. They do offer balms in most fragrances, but not for Oubliette as best I can tell.

Oubliette sat around for a little over 24 hours before I could use it, but the fragrance from the soap alone filled the spare bedroom. Off the tin, this is a very pleasant, intoxicating fragrance. I kept coming back to it, cracking open the tin and taking it in. While I found this unlathered fragrance was very pleasant, I feared it was going to be too powdery for something I'd wear. Fortunately, that aspect was much less evident when I lathered it. Instead, I was met with a clean, cured tobacco and musky floral aroma with suggestions of citrus leaning towards lemon, but far from being lemony. As the shave progressed, the nature of the fragrance became woody, spicy, and warm. The musky floral note became more familiar as the documented jasmine. The splash unfolded in a similar fashion with the tobacco carrying more weight and sustaining while the understated citrus wafted in and out. Again, the dry down warmed up and took on a spicy, woody ensemble with jasmine remaining in check as to not betray the overall masculine accord. I hesitate to use the word "barbershop" when describing it because that seems to mean so many different things, but it does come to my mind regardless. It's probably the faint powder that makes me go there. The closest fragrance in my den would probably be PannaCrema's Pure2O Damn Fine Shave, whereas Oubliette handles the powder in a more masculine fashion. I certainly feel that Oubliette is a fragrance for the masses, but it's still quite unique and bold. It's a good choice to represent a fine group of gentlemen.

18. Vesalio

Vesalio Well-Known Member

DNA
    Mike's vetiver soap, manchurian badger brush Druida, razor 8/8 A Castro, after shave Floid vigorous, Perry Ellis balm.
    The dense foam generated quickly and well with softness by this good badger, allows the easy slip of this imposing razor that in two passes takes the hair of 4 days, good protection after shaving, which we seal with the application of the Floid perceiving that rich warmth which I appreciate a lot. Rating 5/5. Good evening friends.[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi XT1635-02 mediante Tapatalk

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 17, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis
    Modified Gem PTFE (4)
    Shavemac D01 Silvertip
    C.O. Bigelow
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

20. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20171217.

[​IMG]

J&T® model "Minimalistic" pear / Tuxedo.
    Jabones by Luna "Dama de noche".
    Schick type O injector (copy).
    Personna S/S PTFE coated (12).
    Jabones by Luna "Dama de noche" ASB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.