BEGINNER HERE!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Jordan Smith, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD :).

Spyder and Jordan Smith like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Jordan Smith , from North Cackalacky and an old soldier. Thanks for your service. I shave with straights on Saturdays.
    zwelcome2b.jpg

Jordan Smith and Spyder like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Post up some pictures of your razor and give us some additional information on your hones. Many of us straight razor users here hone our own blades and we even have some professionals that do honing and restoring services.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome!!

Spyder likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  7. Jordan Smith

Jordan Smith Member

I don’t know how to upload a photo; it says file too large. I did a terrible job of trying to restore the cosmetics, but I got the old looking surface off. And I used a noton 220/1000 and a Norton 4/8. I also have a Norton lapping stone. The edge is ok I think though

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Jordan Smith

Jordan Smith Member

UPDATE: hey guys! So this is my second shave with the razor. I put more effort and attention into stropping this time. Much better shave, however, still not quite so close. I was able to shave the majority of my face and even did second passes against the grain. No cuts! Watch your all’s videos and reading techniques really helped out a lot!

As I get better, and master (somewhat) stropping and honing, I will have a custom razor maker make me one. His work is really beautiful, his shop is called the shave smith. But I still have some refineries to make in what I want. My biggest question is a smiley or straight. I feel like a smiley will be more versatile, but I’ve never shaved with one. Thoughts any body? I’ll probably post a poll

Keithmax, Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Howdy from the great state of Texas!
    Welcome aboard. Great resource here, and lots of friendly folks as well.

Spyder and Jordan Smith like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@gssixgun and @HolyRollah need to join in.

RyX, Jordan Smith and Spyder like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It sounds like you’ve got the hones to get it shave ready. Try reducing your pictures to a megabyte or less.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    RyX, Jordan Smith and Spyder like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Jordan Smith and Spyder like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

It is hard to learn to shave with a straight razor, even harder to learn to hone and even harder to learn both at the same time.

Consider either sending out the razor to be honed by a pro or purchase second razor that is professionally honed. Until you have experienced a properly honed razor you will not know if you did a good job honing your razor.

A cheap properly honed razor can purchased either on the BST here (there are some razor listed now from @Drygulch) or a cheap sight unseen straight from Whipped Dog.

Welcome to The Shave Den and the dark side as we refer to straight razor shaving.

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good morning from MN. ☕️ What he said. ^^^ I 100% think a guy should learn how to KEEP a razor sharp first. Then, learning how to MAKE one sharp isn’t such a leap.

RyX and Spyder like this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Jordan Smith

I hope you enjoy it here. Good luck with using straights, I'm sure you'll do fine. Patience, practice and time will get you to your goal.:happy088:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Jordan Smith likes this.
  16. Happy janitor

Happy janitor Active Member

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Several paths to getting large files to upload.

If you have the ability and software to wrangle pixels - reducing the size of the photo or saving it as a GIF can get the overall size to under one megabyte.

Adjusting the initial photo format to less than the best your camera or phone can take may get you under the file size limit.

Installing the Tapatalk app on your phone and learning to use it has advantages. No need to adjust photo file size. The app does it for you.

If you want to play around experimenting, go to the Post Testing forum. It's a playground where folks fiddle with these kind of things.

Jordan Smith likes this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

20. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Hello welcome to TSD. I’m currently active as well! To upload a photo I use the app Pixlr and resize it. It’s a pretty simple app to use.

Jordan Smith likes this.