January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Still hard to commit to a tub when you are wondering what you are gonna get.

FWIW, after all the talk this morning, I broke out the Velvet Jacket. It has been around for a while, stills bears the old name, and the scent definitely fills the room. I had to leave the bathroom mid shave for a bit this morning, and when I came back, you definitely could smell it. I find it has an almost leathery scent to it. I like it a lot.

LOOT, Keithmax, Screwtape and 10 others like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

-CJB Pain Stick
    -Rudy Vey Chubby w/28mm Shavemac Finest
    -Jeeves Velvet Jacket
    -Skin Bracer Oak Moss

Inclement weather caused us to shut down crews for today, so I ended up with a Monday morning at home, which is a pleasant change for me at this job. With no crews out, there is nothing I can’t get done from my laptop, so I had a little extra time for a morning shave today.

The CJB is new, I was looking for a inexpensive traveler. It seems more refined than the last one I had. This is a nice razor. For guys who were wondering, the plastic travel cap from Feather fits this quite well. It binds on the handle just a bit, but snaps securely over the blade holder, and suspends the blade edge as intended. The Feather cap did not work on Kai pain sticks.

The fat Shavemac knot worked up a great lather from the Jeeves this morning. This brush was absolutely built for face lathering, and eating up soap. A guy really has to load it in there to make sure he doesn’t have to fight for it by the third pass, but it is such a pleasure to use.

A big splash of the Skin Bracer, and I am BBS’d, and I am ready to go drive off into a blizzard. Here is a traffic camera image of one of the main interstates heading into MPLS. Sometimes I really miss the days when I used to be laid off in the winter.

[​IMG]

LOOT, wristwatchb, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks! It's a great brush.

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yikes! Look at that snow! My parents left Minneapolis the other day to fly to Utah for a family funeral. Not sure when they're scheduled to be back to Minnesota. They might want to wait a day or two!

5. PickledNorthern

Where our job is, they are calling for 7-12”. The concern is traffic, more so than the work itself. Our single biggest risk, safety wise, is transportation, and even the best truck driver in the world can’t help it when some asshat slides into him. Our new little company can’t afford to absorb any accidents into our safety record, so sometimes we just have to shut down and let it play out.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I hope it's a little better in Utah.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm surprised there are any closings up there at all. From the looks of that traffic cam it's just a mild winter's day up there.

LOOT, Keithmax, RyX and 6 others like this.
  8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That picture looks like a scene from the movie Fargo. Great write up, though, Jared.

RyX, Norcalnewb, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you, Gentlemen.
    Yes, I turned this brush last year. The ferrule is technically for a lathe tool handle, but any brass ferrule would have done. The wooden handle does go all the way to the top and then the ferrule sits on it wholly. I got it at Lee Valley, but you can get similar tool ferrules at other locations as well.

Keithmax, Screwtape, RyX and 6 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am always afraid it will end up as a search if the thinks fall all the way into that juniper bush. :D

Wow. I don't see how you guys get used to that weather. Of course you say the same about our 100 degree heat with 90+% humidity.

Keithmax, RyX, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I will happily work in zero over one hundred any day.

12. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Shavette Focus 1.22.2018
    Pre-shave: Nivea Men Sensitive Face Wash
    Brush: VDH boar
    Soap: Proraso white
    Razor: Magic by Master Barber shavette
    Blade: Derby Professional (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's Original WH, Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling PS Balm, Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS

Nearly everything was working this morning... the face wash felt nice, the Proraso lathered well and felt tingly on my face... the post-shave was pleasant and soothing as usual. But the one thing that wasn't working right was me. Apparently, my technique, or concentration, or angle was off. I'm not sure. I do know my angle was off when I was about to do a downward stroke on the left side of my face... as soon as I started I felt the blade slice into the skin at the temple. It was not a deep cut. I stopped it in time, but I had to take out the styptic pencil. However, I needed that styptic for four other small nicks or weepers on my cheeks and neck. I don't know what I did to cause those. I didn't feel anything and didn't see them until I had shaved the lather away and saw the blood. Oops!

I'm not going to shave for a couple of days. Give my face a day off.

Hope everyone else is having better shaves than me.
    sotd 1.22.2018.jpg

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

14. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jared! It is an AP Shave Cashmere knot.

15. Norcalnewb

Nice set up, Jared! I can understand not wanting to go outside in that!

16. Norcalnewb

Awesome picture, Dan!

17. sdguero

Sheez.... trying to catch up and interact with you fellas. Rather chatty, aren't we?

Glad you had a great ride this weekend! I'm just curious, since you're a motorcycle enthusiast, if you've ever attended the Sturgis motorcycle rally?

:happy096: I don't think you have to confess anything! Why is "molesting" your shaving software a thing to "confess?" Experimentation is crucial in this pursuit for the ideal shave.

Thanks again, Chris. I appreciate your generosity.

I've taken your advice and that of others... just use a blade until it needs to be replaced. You'll know it.

I've tightened up my "waste" of blades. At one time, I had different blades in different razors and I didn't know if any of them had one use or ten uses.... I was out of control. Now, I just use one blade for whatever razor I'm going to use.

The other day I was leaving the house when the wife stopped me and said something like, "Let me smell you." She got in close and backed away and said I smelled like an "old lady." Well, I think that was the day I was wearing some Skin Bracer AS.... but I also used some Old Bond moisturizing lotion because of some dry skin itch. I think she was smelling that. I haven't used that lotion since... itch or no itch.

Take care, Adam. I'm praying for your family as well.

Thanks, Jim!
    Thanks, Clint!

A couple of things came to mind re wearing nothing but I thought better of it since this is a family friendly forum.

See previous comment to Jared. ;)

Thanks, Clint. Although I've never heard of the brand before it's made in India. Chris @SharptoothC sent it to me, and he got it at a local Indian grocer's. I have since noticed West Coast Shaving sells it.

Good call when the roads are like that. More people, who do not have to be out in that weather, need to learn to just sit tight and wait it out.

Minnesota winters aren't so bad. I've lived there, so you get used to it. I'm okay with the 100 degree temps, but that high humidity is miserable. My brother and his family lived in Florida for several years. It was fun to visit them... for a week or two... but then I was ready to leave the heat and humidity behind.

Thanks, Jim!

18. sdguero

Excellent shave, Keith. I hope the rest of this week's shaves go as well for you.

Good video, Fuzzy! I didn't know they still made Marvy soap.

Re your Dollar Store blades, are they made in Korea or Vietnam. Mine are made in Vietnam. Still a Dorco blade do you think?

I love my E-4 Fatboy! It has not disappointed me yet.

Excellent report, John!

Gorgeous photo, Clint!

Excellent set-up, Mark!

Terrific photo, and set-up, Jim!

Outstanding selection for your shave this morning, Perry! Enjoy your week.

Inspired shave, Jason!

I forgot about his ads. I'm not sure out to post a video but I'll try:

upload_2018-1-22_12-57-18.jpeg

I'm curious, John. What do you use the Listerine for?

Micromatics are fun to use. Have fun!

Terrific photo!

Excellent shave, Jared! Enjoy your day inside!

19. sdguero

Well, embedding the Jack Palance commercial didn't work. Oh well.

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats on the move, Brian!
    Awesome photo, Clint!
    Great setup, Mark!
    Cool pgoto, Jim!
    Very nice, Perry! Interesting though of using a scuttle to chill your lather!
    Cool setup, Jason!
    Nice setup Jared. Your roads look like ours did yesterday.
    Awesome shot, Dan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.