January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

It's even better with ice water in the scuttle! ;)

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Dan! You also get the award for keeping the massive multi-quote organized!

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

More poking fun at Purest that any actual contrition. If there's a place to be honest about how my shaves go, it's right here. When I was raising children I'd get them involved in the kitchen at supper time. Both because my Ex knew less about cooking than I did, and I wanted the kids to learn to be independent thinkers as adults. We stirred up some interesting Asian/Italian Fusion dishes. They can all make a BBQ sauce from scratch using common pantry ingredients. Ever get tired of cherry Koolaid? Try mixing Lemon-Lime and any red colored packet- makes a grayish ditch water color that tastes great!

That's a sign of your improving technique. Assuming the tools aren't damaged you'll get a decent shave with any razor, and blades brands don't matter as much as newbies might think.
    Just remember; The 30 Day thread has a big blinking Entrance sign, but no clearly marked Exit.
    :eatdrink047:

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've shaved with 6 or 8 different #195's & found the E-4 to be my favorite. Must have been a good time for production and quality control at the Gillette factory.

Go to YouTube and find the video of your choice. Copy the www.address. Come back to TSD, look for the "Media" button - two overlapping boxes. Click on it, a window pops up, paste the video address in the box. When you Post the message, the video will be there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  5. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Rick. I’ll try that later when I get home. Hanging out with Mom while she gets some errands done.

PLAla, Linuxguile, RyX and 3 others like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Dan!

sdguero, PLAla, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Andrew!

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

No I have never made it to Sturgis. I have never had the time to make the long ride up and back. If I am lucky enough to be riding when I retire, my goal is take a retirement trip and ride the motorcycle through all the lower 48 states over the course of 4 months or so. I will call it my "Nowhere in particular and everywhere in general retirement ride". My biggest decision will be starting the tour clockwise or counter clockwise.

Thank you Dan.

Thank you Andrew.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Dan. Sorry about the mishaps. Did your wife make whatever you used as the background. Either way, the background is gorgeous.

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Today's shave:

Stirling Island Man
    Edwin Jagger Chatsworth
    Astra SP
    30DC brush
    Aqua Velva Ice Sport
    Caswell Massey

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Very little to report here in Cali. Travel kit includes B&M Cologne Russe sample - anyone else smell a hint of pickle juice in both that soap and Stirling Ben Franklin, or is it just me? Anyway, two passes before spending most of my day in the hotel meeting and conference rooms. During the breaks, the view ain’t so bad for a Florida boy though...
    5BE29AEE-49F7-4585-AF66-5B497CDD81D1.jpeg

12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I believe during the Iron Butt Rally they make that tour in 11 days -- and sometimes touch on Alaska too. Not much stopping for sightseeing though...

Drygulch, Keithmax, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Hope your next one goes better. Question: Could you have snagged/caught/buggered your blade on something? I know it sounds stupid, but some stupider things have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Drygulch, Keithmax, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Okay, question for you. Does that knot do something for you that others don’t? I ask because I don’t have one, but don’t just want another Plisson type without the dyed tips. I work really hard to make every brush I have (and eventually keep) be different. So does the Cashmere bring something different to the table, in your opinion?

Drygulch, Keithmax, Screwtape and 6 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

There is also what is call an Iron Ass Run where you need to do 1000 miles in 24 hours. I have a buddy who has put together and run a couple of them. He tried to get me to go on the last one. I have done 600 ish in a day, and I swear to all that is holy that it will never happen again.

Drygulch, Keithmax, Screwtape and 5 others like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

I really gotta move.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Depending on the points and layout they do hit a lot of it in 11 days. No interest in that pace. My limit is about 500-600 miles a day and then I am looking for a cold adult beverage. :eatdrink047:

Drygulch, Keithmax, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The Saddle Sore 1000 in 24 hours or the Bun Burner 1500 in 36 hours gets you membership and the license plate holder. Until you start planning it is harder than you think on your body to average 60 mph or over for an extended amount of time. Unless you are on a bike with a larger tank you'll be stopping every 200 to 250 miles and you'll not be able to waste a lot of time on fuel stops to keep the average up. My hat is off to those that can pull those kind of times.

My personal limit is 597 miles of back roads from NW Arkansas to Decatur Alabama. I was ready to stop for gas and a cigarette and push on through for another 3 hours home but Wade and I decided a hotel, good meal and cold beers was an even better idea.

19. PickledNorthern

I bow to Clint’s Iron Ass. My bike is more of a cruiser than his, and he is way more of a miles hog than I am.

Drygulch, Keithmax, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  20. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Randy, besides being a beautiful vista, that is an outstanding photograph! :happy096:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.