New to this, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Michael Hall, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Michael Hall

Michael Hall New Member

Just starting out with the wet shave, kind of. Bought a Microtouch DE razor a year ago and was completely blown away. Upgraded last month to a long handle Merkur 23c. Needless to say the Microtouch went into the trash. I was completely satisfied with the Merkur, until I was given a 1930's open comb Gillette New. It is so much better. Now I just want to see what is out there. Just received a 1966 Gillette travel razor, but hesitant to use it since it is still brand new. What do I buy next. Looking at suggestions. Thanks

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like a good time to look at SE razors. And Welcome!

9nein9, Dansco, MR41 and 4 others like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I agree with @wchnu. Maybe a Gem 1912?

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Forget your password immediately!

Just kidding.

Dip your toe in the cool, cool, waters of Schick Injectors. ;)

9nein9, Dansco, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. Michael Hall

Michael Hall New Member

Are the single edge more aggressive than the double? I want an aggressive shave. My skin is not sensitive and I was going to buy the muhle r41. I use feather blades and with only water and get a pretty good shave with no nicks or cuts. Does the shave soap make a big difference?

9nein9, RyX and PLAla like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

You shave with water and not soap?

9nein9 likes this.
  7. Michael Hall

Michael Hall New Member

Yep, got used to doing that with the cartridge razors. When I bought my first de I tried it and my face was cut bad. Used can foam (I know it's junk) for a while til I got technique down. Now I'm back to just water.

9nein9, Jayaruh and PLAla like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My father in law shaves with water only. My grandfather shaved dry. No soap, cream, goo, nothing. As our resident sage @swarden43 proclaims - It's your shave. Enjoy your way!

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  9. Michael Hall

Michael Hall New Member

Dry? How?

9nein9 likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My dad shaved with just water. He used a 1930s Gillette open comb until he died in 97. BTW, glad to have you @Michael Hall , if you PM me I have a bunch of razors and would be glad to give you some deals. I also make shaving brushes. OH NO! another rabbit hole...
    zwelcome1a.jpg

9nein9 and wristwatchb like this.
  11. Michael Hall

Michael Hall New Member

9nein9 likes this.
  12. Michael Hall

Michael Hall New Member

Love that pic btw

9nein9 likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

9nein9 likes this.
  14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome. I ALMOST stopped buying razors after I got my first Gillette NEW. I think it may be the finest razor of all time.

9nein9, Dansco and wristwatchb like this.
  15. Michael Hall

Michael Hall New Member

@jimjo1031 thanks bud. @Troy M I have yet to beat the 1930s Gillette. Funny thing is, it's the only one that was free. Still looking though.

9nein9 and Troy M like this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

I've said it a bunch. If I'd have baught a Merkur Progress first, I likely wouldn't have a collection of safety razors.

9nein9 likes this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Michael, welcome to The Shave Den. I agree with @Troy M -- it's hard to beat a Gillette NEW DE razor. You have a fine razor. If you want to try a brush and a couple of different soaps, PM me and I will fix you up.

9nein9 likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Michael Hall! Seems like you are jumping in, and asking all the right questions. Before you know it you'll have a cabinet full of soaps & creams, brushes, bowls mugs & scuttles.
    Those canned shave gels and foams are not bad products. Barbasol lather myself occasionally. For many of us the fancy soaps are about two things. First, getting a slippery surface to slide the razor over. Second, the scent of the soap. If you are happy without it, no one can tell you you're doing it wrong.
    As a new member of TSD you can sign up for the Newbie Giveaway. It's a chance at winning some internet credits to pick up some free soap to try. ;) Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

9nein9 and Dansco like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!