Italian Soaps (and creams I suppose...)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Vlasta, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    HI - apart from proraso has anyone tried any other Italian soaps or creams?

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Cella - both the red tubs of cream and the bricks of more putty-like soap. (same formula I think, just one is dryer). They are a classic Italian almond soap with a smell much like marzipan.

Also Vitos, both the Red and Green label soaps. One has an extra helping of coconut oil in it. Both are again a white putty-like soap that smells of almond. Vitos also makes a very good eucalyptus shaving cream.

Finally, I have tried Valobra. They make a soft almond soap in classic Italian style very similar to the Cella and Vitos offerings and equally good . However they also make hard soaps. I have tried Fougere and Unscented. Excellent tallow soaps, although the Unscented rather smells of the tallow instead of being totally neutral.

I have always meant to try Saponificio Varesino some day but haven't yet.

Oh yeah, and the Omega brush people offer a eucalyptus cream/soft soap that is excellent if you like eucalyptus. It is a bit less runny than the Vitos Eucalyptus cream.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    TheFiveO, Yehuda D, Rhody and 5 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have used the Valobra soap, it was very good. There is a rumour that it is the same soap as the old AoS tallow. I think the AoS tallow performs even better, but that may just be in my head. The both have similar performance and the scent of clay.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

It's entirely possible, because Valobra is one of the companies that makes house-branded soaps for other people.

For that matter, I have a suspicion that the "Omega" eucalyptus soap may very well be made for them by Vitos.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I think they did make the AoS tallow, they are very similar and the are similar to another big $ soap. I agree with you on Omega too.

Yehuda D, Vlasta and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

There used to be a cream from Italy called Roxi, which smelled exactly like the old Proraso with wheat germ oil. It was very good. There was another one called Squibb, which I never tried but I heard it wasn't bad.

7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I am very fond of the Valobra Unscented stick. Great travel soap. I've tried their Fougere but wasn't too happy about the scent personally. I also had my share or Cella and Omega, but moved on pretty quickly.

Yehuda D and Vlasta like this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I just picked up some Sapone da barba from 4711 - was this only made for Italian market?

Yehuda D likes this.
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

My Palmolive Menthol cream was made in Italy and it is fantastic. I have two Italian soaps from Tcheon Fung Sing- Mastro Miche and Farinik- and they are ok.

Yehuda D and Vlasta like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have a puck of Figaro Sapone Speciale (I have been told this was the original P.160). Excellent performer. Light scent that vaguely reminds me of Arko.

Yehuda D likes this.
  11. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I have had great shaves with all the soaps\creams from Italy that I have tried.

Razorock has some of their soaps/ croaps made from Italian artisians. Muddier Focker was my favorite and gave me a great post shave face afterwards.

Cella is considered to be one of the classic croaps. I like the marzipan scent. Can lather it up as quick as anything in my rotation and perform well in all departments for me.

Panna Crema was one of the best performing soaps out there when I tried it a few years ago. While other artisians have caught up with them. They since have re formulated there soaps and are still putting out a top tier product.

Sapone Veresino is my favorite soap in my rotation. Super easy to lather, seems to make my whiskers really soft and my razor just glides over my lather removing them. Post shave feel is great and stays that way for hours. Scents are really good. The soap puck is harder than any others in my rotation. And while this soap may cost a few $$'s more. I think it's going to last a lot longer than my other soaps.

Yehuda D, Rhody and Keithmax like this.
  12. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Saponificio Varesino is my top right now. I also like cella.

My newest is PannaCrema. Going to whip that up tomorrow

Yehuda D likes this.
  13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Sottozero soap from TFS is pretty good. It smells minty and nice with rich, easy-to-build lather. One thing though: Sottozero means "Below Zero" in Italian, but this soap is NOT a face-freezer at all. In fact, it's less cooling than Proraso Green.

Rhody likes this.
  14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Cella.

Rhody likes this.
  15. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Cella?Don't they make cherry and blueberry chocolate covered cordials.Usually available around the holidays.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

@Screwtape my friend you stole my thunder! Every one of those are amazing soaps. I did a group buy of Vitos and I still have a ton left over.

As for me I love :
    - Vitos
    - Cella
    - Valobra
    - RR
    - Proraso eucalyptus

I can't wait to try many more

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Kondor

Kondor Member

Never saw it in Italy or on any Italian online shop. I cannot be 100% sure, but probably it is a German product with an Italian name to make it more fashionable...
    I am Italian and I tried (of course!) some Italian soaps. You never go bad with Proraso, latest "Single blade" line is very good. "Saponificio Varesino" soaps are quite expensive but you cannot complain on their quality. Never tried Vitos soaps after I had serious problems with Cella (I am allergic to benzaldehyde - hammond synthetic flavour).
    "La Saponeria Artigiana" produces two good and not expensive soaps (also in the one kilo brick packaging) unforturtunately flavours are too simple: almond and sweet coconat.
    But the REAL gems are others: Denim and Noxzema creams! Both manufactured in Italy, really cheap (1.20€/2.20€ for 100/150 ml) but with GREAT quality and smell.

http://www.denimworld.info/
    DenimShavingCreamItaly.jpg
    Don't worry, the web site is in English...

Denim brand is REAL Italian! Every man in Italy know the Denim brand, their aftershaves are widely available (not all type and not the shaving cream, unfortunately) in every supermarket.
    Now it is owned by Swiss...:(

Noxzema brand is well know, but I mean the shaving cream made in Italy for Italian market:
    Noxzema_shaving_cream_Italian_made.jpg

If you have any question, feel free to ask! :)

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I've tried a bunch - Saponifico Varesino, RR, Cella, Valobra almond croap, Valobra hard soaps, I Coloniali Mango Oil soap and IC Rhubarb Softening cream, ABC, AdP, XPEC and maybe a few more. None are bad, the last 6 are magnificent and the prices of the ABC, XPEC, and AdP are even more magnificent!

Cheers, Steve

19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Ahhh, my Italians. Love them! They are among my best soaps.

Saponificio Varesino in any scent is one of the best, if not the best, vegan soap going. I am a tallow fan but this stuff beats down many tallows in all aspects of performance. Add to the fact they are milled and will last forever, you have a winner. They can be had for $24 - $42 but because you will use far less than any other soap made, it is very cost effective.

PannaCrema Nuavia line is top shelf but you pay for it. I have the Green and Blue and they are amazing too. Price is the only thing that keeps this one from being my only one. I tend to use it on special occasions and on days when a little extra moisturizing is needed or when I just want to indulge. At $65 it is expensive but worth the splurge.

I Coloniali is another top Italian. Slightly more than SV but top shelf all around. I have only tried the mango version but once I tried it, I snatched two up quickly since they are discontinued. They have a scent that even among my 80 soaps is unique and is a treat to use each time they come up in the rotation. about $36-40, it is still affordable. You barely make a dent when lathering it so it should last a while.

Razorock is a baseline soap with good properties. what makes it good is the price. You get a large variety for not much price. I tend to watch the ingredient list on Razorock though. They are made by different suppliers for Razorock. I tend to find the ones with fancy oils line Argan oil, etc. tend to be their better soaps. The ones with simple ingredients are fine but lack in moisturizing and a richer lather to me. $5- $15, it is affordable but not equal to many domestic soaps for a few dollars more. I would instead grab some Stirling for a few dollars more. you get more soap and a better lather. For the price, it is that bad, if you are choosy.

Always wanted to try Cella, ABC, AdP Valobra and XPEC as I have only heard good things about them. Being Italian myself and a beard that needs daily maintenance, the opportunity may still present itself.

All the best in your quest for some Italian soaps.

Rhody likes this.
  20. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

has anyone had any experience with 3 p shave cream. its marketed as a pre-shave cream but they say it can be used as a shave cream also.

I received the 100ml jar today .Most of the packaging is in Italian. Some quick translation reveals that the claim it can be used for skin and shaving irritation, and sun burn. I cant describe the scent. Medicine smell .label says some peppermint .feels very slick on fingers. I'm going to use it as a pre shave tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Yehuda D likes this.