Old shavecreams

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Titus13, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Titus13

Titus13 New Member

I recently found a old tub of portals shave cream in the green tub it has to be at least seven years old is it still usable?

MR41, RyX and Yehuda D like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It might be a little dried up, but it should be fine to use assuming that it doesn't smell rancid. You may want to let a little hot water sit on the top of the cream for a little while to rehydrate it a bit. And/or you may want to lightly scrape off a thin top layer before use.

If it is a tallow-based cream, there's a possibility that it has gone rancid which you can tell just by scent. If that's the case, then do not use.

RyX, Yehuda D, Titus13 and 1 other person like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have several creams that are older then that. Never have had one go bad. Give it a go. If it got a little tight load your brush right off the top of it.

Yehuda D, Titus13 and EnglishChannel like this.
  4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I had to give away a bunch of creams which I know I'll never use. I even threw away six creams which had become rock-hard. I think those creams were from 2002.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Because creams contain water, they also have preservatives to help resist bacterial growth. No guarantees, but it's possible they are safe. Do a test on your forearm.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Do you mean they got hard in the tube Jeff?

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You know we live in a "hurry-up" world, when a shaving cream from 2002 is called "old". (or ""rock hard" to quote @Yehuda D)]

Yehuda D likes this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s usable, like a soft soap.

Yehuda D likes this.
  9. Yehuda D

The six which I threw away were totally unusable. Nothing would have made them lather. :)

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Oh, I guess I’ve never had one get that far gone.

Yehuda D likes this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

ABC cream will dessicate over time, but it remains just as good as when it was new, which is a thick cream in a tub. When it starts getting stiff, I usually take the lid off and let it make the transition in the fridge until I can lather on the soap. Eventually it will be as hard as a hard soap bit it's still fine.

Cheers, Steve

Yehuda D likes this.
  12. Yehuda D

Sorry for such a late reply but perhaps they just dried up. There was just no way to use them.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for the reply!! Hope all is well with you.

14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

+1