Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Sunday morning while the birds were active in the backyard.
    [​IMG]

2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

You did him a favor! Now he can enjoy real pipe smoking. :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

E54F4175-78C5-4D08-B17A-2AD542E95CCF.jpeg
    Cool damp Sunday afternoon, perfect for a pipe! John Aylesbury English Mixture in a Briary branded, natural finish counter pipe. This pipe is a perfect example of what to look for in a counter or basket pipe; no obvious flaws, and while the hole is very slightly off center, it is dead on the bottom.

I’ve neglected this pipe for a while, need to smoke it more to turn the color and get the sheen on it. No Latakia in this blend, by the way. For those still fairly new to pipe smoking, an English blend means simply the total absence of any flavoring. A lot of people think that means Latakia, and is true in many instances, but not all.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I missed out on that. They were already out when I got around to attempting to order.

Erik Redd likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Great pipe, great blend...

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and Erik Redd like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm still trying to figure out what to get, but I was wondering. Do re-usable filters work ok? I know disposable ones are cheap, but some pipes come with re-usable ones. Also, and I may be regretting asking this, but are any of the cheaper pipes coming out of Asia any good?

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I'd advise against Asia. Who knows what's in the varnish and such. Most of us use no filter. Honestly, go get a Grabow from a drug store. I smoke one every other week or so. Very consistent pipes, paper filters.

Helpful? Let's talk.

AGHisBBS, BamaT and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

I used one of them during my college days. I actually liked it.

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I don’t have any filter pipes, but if I did it would be the balsam type, not paper.

I highly recommend a straight or very slight bend for beginning pipe smokers. They’re easier to smoke without smoking “wet,” since the draft hole in the shank and stem will almost always properly align and the draft hole is easier to drill at the bottom of the bowl.

I believe one of the best bargains in pipes are Chacom, particularly the Ariane line. Very good quality, simple design (that can be a good thing) and they won’t break the bank when you can catch them on sale. Shown here from Pipes and Cigars for $70, although it appears their inventory of this line is down. You could check elsewhere for more selection. Four of them reside at my house, and I love them.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/chacom-ariane-pipes-pipes/1508466/

Hers’s the Cassette line of Chacom; I especially like the Lovat #2. In fact, I may order one myself!

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/chacom-cassette-pipes-pipes/1473733/

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    gorgo2, RyX, Erik Redd and 2 others like this.
  10. jimjo1031

After some research I decided to go with this Gardesana H.I.S. bent pipe. As I like cigars that are medium-full in strength, and conversing with @Bama Samurai, I went with this as I really don't need a filter, and it was more than 50% off list at $25.00. And I do like rough finishes and bent stems. I was going to go used until I saw this and figured it would be a good one to go back on pipes. Granted it's been years since I used one, and now I need to find some good tobacco to smoke.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    SharptoothC, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

A sandblast or rusticated finish feels good in the hand, at least to me. H.I.S. pipes are a good starting point, nothing wrong with that choice. I have one that is my favorite lawn tractor pipe; it is a bent, and is easily clenched while I’m cutting grass.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Good deal.

I have a Gardesana and a couple HIS that all smoke great. You should be very happy with that.

13. jimjo1031

I just did some research on the Gardesana H.I.S. pipes, and they are made out of Briar wood. (Hugo International Series)

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  14. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Nightcap in a Butz Choquin Origine, one of the original designs by BC back in the 1800's, it was originally made with an albatross wing bone back in the day, now it's delrin.
    DSCN0933.JPG

BamaT, Erik Redd, wchnu and 1 other person like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome ride home!!
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS, BamaT, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD Dutch Nat Cav.gif
    PS Dutch Natural Cavendish & a pinch of Perique in the Old-Vic at dusk. Had to turn on the AC today. Low 80s but the breeze was nice.

17. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Twenty years of pipe acquisition disorder. A lot for a guy on a shaving forum, not a lot in perspective of pipe collecting in general. I thought you guys might like to see.
    DSCN0936.JPG

gorgo2, SharptoothC, wchnu and 3 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Wow. Amazing, even. How do you choose which one to use?

AGHisBBS and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Nice!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

A rainy day. so probably no pipe tonite, but at least I got a delivery.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, AGHisBBS, wchnu and 2 others like this.