Breaking In A Vintage Ever Ready C40

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jim99, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I just picked up an unused Ever Ready C40, boar, and would like to use it.

As the brush is probably 50+ years old, is it best to leave it unused, or would a proper break in give me a usable brush?

Would a break in differ from a new brush? Any special precautions?

Thanks
    Jim

BAB4E099-F6DE-42A0-B8B4-B685E0C7121B.jpeg 12016DBB-B999-4D2B-9BE4-9421F10669B1.jpeg

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

There are different ways, but when I get a vintage boar brush I'd like to use, I soak it in hair conditioner. After about twenty minutes or so, I work it in with my fingers, rinse it, and do it again. It'll soften the bristles and should be ready to use.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This only my opinion, but I'd say use it ... that said, it's probably very dry, so a soak in water with a teaspoon of conditioner, may be in order. Just my thoughts. :)

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Wow twins separated at birth! :happy097:

5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I don't like suggesting conditioner since most conditioners are created to repair split ends, just the opposite of what is wanted when breaking in a boar brush.

Instead I recommend a Spa day where you soak the brush for 15-20 minutes in a solution of Borax dissolved in warm water. After the soak I gently squeeze the knot in a cotton towel followed by four iterations of twenty up down and twenty side to side strokes on the cotton towel. Then repeat the process twice and after the third cycle let the brush dry overnight.

I love bringing old brushes back into regular use and have quite a few in regular rotation.

brit, TestDepth, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

So it sounds like both methods gently soften the bristles which are no doubt dry from never being used. I might go the conditioner route later this week.

The knot is a 19mm, so I’m not expecting a lather machine. However, I do like boar brushes.

Thanks for the recommendations.

brit, AGHisBBS and Enrico like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bet it'll be nice and scritchy!

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have several vintage brushes and a couple were nos, I have soaked them in hot water for hours and then used shAmpoo to wash them. You can do it a couple of times and it’ll still feel new.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I actually like scritchy.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I was being serious, so do I! Can't stand a soft floppy brush that just smears soap around the face. My only brush is a giant Omega a former member gave me years ago; it's great and all I need. But I sometimes miss my old red/black Fuller nylon. That was great too.

Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Believe it or not, I have a VDH boar that I bought as part of their shave set 3 years ago and I love that brush. It’s definitely a scritchy one and has lots of backbone. It’s precise, maneuverable and lots of scritch! Great brush!

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, it’s ready for use! I soaked the brush in a mix of conditioner and water overnight, gave it a good rinse and let it dry. It looks good and no bristles have broken off.

I’m going to use it for my shave tomorrow morning. I can’t wait!

Enrico likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Get let us know. :)

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I soaked the brush in warm water before the shave this morning before lathering up. I used my TOBS sandalwood cream this morning as I wanted to take it easy on the first outing with the vintage C40.

The bristles have plenty of backbone and it whipped up a nice lather. As it’s only a 20mm knot, I was able to precisely apply the lather.

It was fun to use a NOS brush from circa 1960 and it lost only one hair in the process. Not bad at all.

I’ll keep it in the rotation and, if the knot doesn’t hold up, I’ll reknot it down the road. For now, I’ll enjoy the ride with the C40.

@gorgo2 , the brush is scritchy and is just the way I like it!

9FFF2DF3-C7E9-4F3B-B3EE-6346E1C9D063.jpeg

Tedolph, brit, GatorJoe and 3 others like this.
  15. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It should last several decades at least even with regular use.

Linuxguile, Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

With the acquisition of this C40, plus the one I won in a TSD raffle last year that I reknotted with a synthetic, I now have a matching set.

Note that the boar on the right is still damp from my shave this morning.

247812DE-37BE-464E-9B0C-F54DD2721FB0.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    brit, GatorJoe, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Rat own, rat own for da skritch!

Jim99 likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i scored a canadian rubberset brush from an antique store a while back. looked hardly used if at all, but definitely neglected. i soaked it a few times with a bit of dawn and then let it dry.test lathered it 2 or 3 times with some shave cream and let it dry again. no hair loss so far and lathers well.i think it is 1950s or 60s. 20180322_160414.jpg

Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s a nice brush!

I’ve used my brush 3 times since the initial soaking and it’s lost a total of 3 hairs. I’ll be using it again tomorrow.

I didn’t think a vintage NOS brush would survive more than a few uses as I thought the hairs would be too brittle. I was wrong!

brit likes this.
  20. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I have some that are now over a half century old and still going strong.

Jim99 likes this.