TOOBS Longevity

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Knox, Jan 15, 2018.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I found that TOBS easily stretched a couple of months even with generous use.

Spyder likes this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I just barely dip the tips of the bristles and face lather. Voluminous lather and it's lasting forever. No pressing in the tub, no swirling in the tub. Just barely make contact and face lather and I get plenty for 2-3 passes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Enrico, Knox and Spyder like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for that idea! Going to try that.

Spyder and SharptoothC like this.
  4. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I got the almond scented tub off of Amazon and used it for the first time yesterday. It was really pleasant to use on my face. Lathered well on my horse hair brush. I expect this to last a good long while, especially as I'll be alternating between that and my D.R. Harris Marlborough puck.

Spyder and Enrico like this.
  5. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

That's always been my experience with TOBS as well. It's usually pretty soft. But my first tub of the Sandalwood is pretty hard, very different than usual. I got it directly from TOBS, but I'm thinking it might be older or something happened to it. It still lathers up great and the scent is fabulous. It's just got an out-of-the-ordinary consistency.

battle.munky likes this.
  6. SharptoothC

My Sandalwood is the same. Much firmer than my Eton College, but no issues lathering. It's a great soap.

Borderboss likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

TOBS sandalwood is my favorite cream. The lather, slickness and scent is all there!

I have been judicious in my use of my current tub as I have a habit of making way too much lather. I’m not using it every day, but I now have at least 40 shaves out of it and have used just a little more than half.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Mine came from the motherland. A friend of mine was vacationing in England and I had him run over to Old Bond Street for me. It may be the finest SC I've used, which isn't super endorsed since I have only used KMF, COBigs, Erasmic, and other "budget" creams. Still, it is damn fine.

Spyder likes this.
  9. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

A day early, but this is where I am at the 2 month mark.

Doesn't look like it will make it another month:

IMG_4597.JPG

Jim99 likes this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If you nurse it a bit, you should get another 2 to 3 weeks out of it.

Knox likes this.
  11. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i tried some tobs lavender recently and thought it was a nice scent and worked quite nicely too

12. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Mine as well, well first I bought Billy Jealousy that was a mistake. I was trying to reduce my costs in the beginning to see if I enjoyed the expierence. So like a smart ass let’s buy a no lather soap! Remarkable scent I must say smelt like tangerines, so refreshing and lots of glide. Ultimately no fun... so I have it away and I bought Sandlewood and Jeremyn street for sensitive skin. Both beautiful but I would have to say still entry level.

SharptoothC likes this.
  13. SharptoothC

Could you expound on what you mean when you say "entry level"? It has me thinking and I'm curious as to what views are on what qualifies something as entry level. I find TOOBS to be strongly and pleasantly scented, easy to lather, and quite slick and protective at a fairly reasonable cost, as well as being well known and relatively easy to obtain. Most of my soaps are made by soap makers who are considered "artisans". Does availability and name recognition factor in? Ease of use? Simplicity or complexity of scent? It's a thought worth exploring.

CastleShave likes this.
  14. CastleShave

I’m glad you asked! TOBS. Is obviously so well known because of its consistency, ease of use and typical scents that every other soap maker acknowledges this and slightly changes the formulas. I consider barrister and Mann, tallow+steel, Baum.be and many others to be intermediate and more enjoyable. The complexity of scents in B&M when reading them are not the most appealing until you lather them up and say WOW! Tallow and steel is the same concept for me. GreenEarth Shave is another I would recommend. This is an actual soap, I can’t get it out of my regular rotation. It’s purely vegan and website is not very attractive nore is the container but when I shave with it my skin feels remarkably fresh for majority of the day and slickness is phenomenal!

15. Michael_W

I was so impressed with my almond-scented cream that I sent away for the Mr. Taylor's version, which is out for delivery as I type, along with a porcelain lathering bowl. What I like about Taylor's so far is that it takes very little product to whip up a decent lather. The trick, I've found, is in learning to control the amount of water going into it. I find that squeezing out a little from my brush after soaking works well, and then I just use my brush to create the lather.

Jim99 and CastleShave like this.
  16. CastleShave

I’m definately looking forward to placing an order of the almond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Michael_W

Yeah, almond to me is just a clean-smelling aroma. I use Method brand wood cleaners for the floors and other woods where I'm staying, and I enjoy the smell a great deal. The Taylor's reminds me of that scent.

Jim99 likes this.
  18. Michael_W

Aaaand the lathering bowl produced a rich lather that gave me an excellent shave this evening! Nice!

Knox likes this.
  19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Still going strong. I will either post the three month photo in a couple of weeks, or the empty container if that happens first.

I am quite pleased - I really didn't think this could last as long as a Williams puck.

Jim99 likes this.
  20. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

IMG_4983.JPG

It made it 3 months!!! I still have more left than I thought I would.

Thus ends this experiment- time to switch to my beloved Arko and keep this for later.

Jim99 likes this.