March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Jim!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, jluc and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Jason! I tried for the warm look like many of your photos. The wood background was a missing element in mine.

Thanks Clint!

Thanks Andrew! Jack @Spaerrow may have set the VS Black Pure badger knot deep because it's got just enough backbone to keep me coming back. When I first got the New I polished it up. Since it's showing all brass patina takes over quickly. I'll keep it clean but let it age from now until I do the next thing. Jim @Jayaruh got his replated in nickel IIRC. Or maybe it was Bob @Bobcat.

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Andrew!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thursday March 22 - sampling onward

Gillette Fatboy on 4 / Gillette 7 O'clock (1)
    JR #267 boar
    Trumper GFT cream
    Alum and Florida Water

IMG_00000204.jpg

I don't think this little sample tub of GFT is going to give me a fair idea of what the cream is like. The scent is rather faint, but the cream itself is more like a croap, so I think it has dried out. I suspect an actual tub would be softer with a much stronger scent. About all I can say is that it's pleasantly citrusy. According to Fendrihan, it's a zingy citrus with woody notes of cypress, moss and something else, centred around lavender and tarragon.... mine is vaguely citrusy. The shave performance was great though -- creamy lather, slick and protective action even between lathers, and a soft postshave face feel. Trumper, like TOBS, makes great cream.

Two passes of a fresh 7 O'clock blade in my Fatboy on its normal 4 gave me an error-free DFS shading into BBS territory. Florida Water seemed to meld well with the GFT for a great finish.

Oh and Jayaruh #267 has completely redeemed my opinion of boar brushes. I rubbed streaks of the GFT on my face today and then face lathered with a dampened brush, and the big boar knot did a superb job.

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Which 7 O'clock blade are you using John?

6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I get brush envy everyone you pull out that Cypress beauty, Rick!

4? Holy cow, Clint, are you eating the soap?

Talk about a stunner! If you ever sell that brush, I want dirt rights of refusal, Jim. Just wow!

I actually have something to report today, as in the midst of a very busy week I decided to take up the straight this morning after a couple months hiatus. I’m only about 30 shaves in, but muscle memory was there for the N-S pass, and I’m improving on the S-N pass. Still needed a third pass from the Slim to get a passable shave, but the shave was incident free and continuing to show progress. I’ll take the win and “proceed along the path.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful photo and lineup John. What do you think of Florida Water?

Drygulch, jluc, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:D No I am not eating the soaps. 3 of the soaps were full size soaps started last year and finished this year. The 4th was a sample of about 1.5-2 oz from Adam that only had 1 shave on it last year, so it was really finished this year. I have several more that have between 20-30 shaves left in the tub that will easily be finished this year just by using them regularly. My soap inventory really exploded at the end of last year and I want it back down to around 15 soaps. That way I am always finishing something up and trying something new.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm headed to my parents house this afternoon. Going to do an oil & filter change on mom's Taurus. While I'm there I'll walk the citrus orchard that's in bloom just to get another look at a cypress tree I'd like to harvest. Been gathering bits an pieces of wood in anticipation of the lathe I still haven't found. I've got pecan, live oak, and I found a hunk of mahogany 2X10 left from a job a decade ago. Might still have a little of the cypress from trimming low branches that has mostly been mailed to North Carolina, Canada, and Japan.

This project is on a slow burner. Sometimes I get fired up, but a used lathe has eluded my visits to pawn shops. I wouldn't need one for the asymmetric style handles. :think002:

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Nice of you to help your Mom with her car.

Drygulch, jluc, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Right now I'm using ones that come in a green package with black letters and are made in St. Petersburg. I also have a couple tucks with a red front cover that are made in India.

I like the Florida Water. Pleasant floral and citrus smell that lasts quite awhile. And according to the internet,I can dump some in the water holder on my Swiffer waterjet broom, squirt it around as I sweep the floors, and it will give my house a magical voodoo / feng shui good luck boost...

12. Linuxguile

Sounds like the Super Stainless, wonderful blade!

FaceScraper, Drygulch, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

March 22nd
    Gillette NEW SC w PermaSharp (2)
    Captain’s Choice Sandalwood SS
    Omega ‘49/ Walnut
    Alum
    Thayers
    Chatillon Lux GLSq AS
    3857207D-7C18-4B64-A00B-FC7623F0FD44.jpeg
    Leisurely shave with this combo earlier this morning. Probably a few more days with the NEW, and then I’ll call the focus complete. Continued with Sandalwood soaps and today the Captain’s Choice was up. First use of any Captain’s Choice products, and this one came via Randy. Didn’t get the lather where I wanted it, but that is probably my fault.
    Still had a nice 3 pass shave, finished with the excellent Chatillon Lux.
    Have a great day all!

14. Linuxguile

Fantastic photo Jason!

Drygulch, jtspartan, jluc and 2 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Randy!

Drygulch, PLAla, jluc and 2 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Jason!

Drygulch, jtspartan, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. She gets a servicing on her automobile at the cost of materials. I stay for a home cooked meal!

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Jason. What did you think of the CC shave soap? When I tested the prototype I noted the scent strength needed to be increased. The scent was a perfect match to the CC Sandalwood aftershave.

Keithmax, RyX, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

On the same day you post that stunner, we have a spring snow shower. Sigh.
    Boring is good!
    Great photo again, Jim.
    Super sounding shave, Perry. The 66, as you know, is a great shaver!
    I’ve looked at my NEW LC and thought the same thing, Rick. Nickel or Gold...
    Great looking brush!
    Your Trumper experience mirrored mine this week, John. The cream was so dry that I thought it was a triple-milled soap for a sec. Great lather, though.
    Good job with the straight, Randy. You get extra bonus points for pulling it out part way through a busy work week as well.
    I hear you on the soaps, Clint. I think 15 or so is a nice number for a good rotation. However, I haven’t finished a full puck since a C&E Sandalwood almost two years ago. I currently don’t have any pucks or tubs that are anywhere near the bottom. I also have a few sizable samples that I’ve had for months that I haven’t even touched. My tube of TOBS Sandalwood is feeling a little light, though. I assume that would count in Adam’s draw if I get through it. Also a few large Stirling samples (Baker St, Barbershop) that would be done in 5-7 shaves or so.
    Hold on to that Mahogany, Rick. It makes rich, dark, classic looking shaving brush handles and bowls.

Keithmax, RyX, Screwtape and 5 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason!

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.