Does the Game Changer make Baby Smooth Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by montieg, Apr 22, 2018.

1. montieg

montieg Well-Known Member

Since I was one of the lucky ones to get a Game Changer, I'm guessing that it's going to replace my Baby Smooth? Do they still make the baby smooth? Is it worth keeping or should I sell it?

Cheers
    Montie

Keithmax likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I say sell them both and buy a good single ring. Spend the extra money on coffee.... :cool:

TobyC, brit and montieg like this.
  3. montieg

Not a fan of the game changer?

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sorry just bashing new over priced stuff. If you like them go for it.

Enrico likes this.
  5. montieg

It's not really over priced. My Merkur Progress was about the second price.

Cheers
    Montie

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would say the same about the progress. But I am fair about it. I would not spend money on a new model SE either. Also on your original question...I would say keep both. A rotation is awesome.

TobyC and montieg like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i haven t used a game changer or baby smooth.i have a mamba ss that ticks the
    " nice modern stainless razor for a great price" box.the rest are vintage gillettes.
    i have used the mamba a few times, not earth shattering...i like what i like i guess.

TobyC likes this.
  8. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I think it is a bit early for such a question since nobody has received the production razor and they don't ship until Monday. Use it for awhile, then make your decision. The value of the Baby Smooth is not really going anywhere. Pretty much everyone that wanted one bought one even if they are discontinued. For me, I like playing around with a rotation, and selling them is not worth the hassle. I admit it is an odd hobby, but it doesn't break the bank. Besides, nobody here knows what works for you. I really like the Baby Smooth. I have the Ti version and enjoy the shave it provides. It is one of my favorites. I know they discontinued the Ti version, but I think they are just sold out of the Aluminum. I saw a post by Joe saying that they were thinking of making a SS version. I personally think the Game Changer will be a very good razor, but I really won't know until I try it firsthand. Good luck with yours and I hope you enjoy it.
    Steve

Flyingbald, montieg and brit like this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

No idea, but I am considering selling my Woody Woodpecker.

AGHisBBS and montieg like this.
  10. montieg

You're right. Wait to find out.

Cheers
    Montie

Smooth Steve likes this.
  11. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I love all the variation in different razors, but after a year+ of trying different makes and models (mainly SE) I've come to some conclusions.
    • A razor, at its most basic level, is nothing more than a blade holder
    • Most all razors will provide a good shave if used with a quality blade
    • Shaving vendors are in business to turn a profit (good on 'em!) and will market products accordingly
    All that being said, I myself have spent far too much $$ chasing after the perfect razor. I can pick up almost any of my SEs and produce an excellent shave.

Does the Game Changer obsolete the Baby Smooth? Probably not. They're both quality pieces.

Although, I'm just a luddite SE fanatic stuck in the early 1900's. I'm probably way off base... ;)

12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

no it doesn't make the BBS nor the Mamba obsolete. Next on the line for release is BBS in 316L SS

montieg likes this.
  13. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Did Gillette NEW make Old Type obsolete? Not if you ask people like @TobyC? Or did safety bar razors make open comb razors obsolete? Nope, open combs still got their fans, and rightly so.

While I have neither of the razors you mention, I am very sure Baby Smooth will have its followers despite of Game Changer. Shaving is YMMV, and because of this a product has to be truly unusable in order to become obsolete.

14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The OLD type preemptively made all other DE razors obsolete, but we still MUST have variety. ;)

brit, montieg and Enrico like this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Ditch 'em both, get a quality vintage made of brass! All roads lead to the OLD. :D

brit, wchnu, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Unknown.png

I'm just causing trouble ... that and I thought @TobyC would like this.

AGHisBBS, TobyC and montieg like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

If you have sensitive skin the Baby Smooth is your daily driver. It forces a shallow cutting angle and is pretty much impossible to get irritation with this razor. It may take a little extra touch up but you can get to a BBS shave with the BS no problem. The Mamba is similar to the BS in that it is very mild and smooth, but it allows you a little more adjustment in the cutting angle. Both the Mamba and the BS have minimal blade feel and neutral blade exposure. The Game Changer is a step up in aggression and efficiency, and has a definite blade feel to it thanks to positive blade exposure. If you are heavy handed with the GC it most definitely punish you with razor burn, weepers, and nicks where as the Mamba and BS would be a lot more forgiving. This thread on B&B will help clear up any confusion in regards to shallow vs steep angle blade exposure:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/steep-and-shallow-angle-shaving-defined.530201/

Keithmax, Smooth Steve and montieg like this.
  18. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Thank you providing the comparison on these, I’ve looked on and off at each of these separately and this is definitely very helpful!

Keithmax and montieg like this.
  19. montieg

That's very interesting. I know I am sometimes heavy handed and that's why I'm doing a 30 day challenge where I use the same razor blade and soap for 30 days to actually improve my form.
    I've been using a Merkur Progress on 2. I've improved and learned each time. I've been using "riding the cap" method and it seems to be working.

Cheers
    Montie

Bama Samurai and Keithmax like this.