April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

An ice pick sharp observation, comrade.

clint64, PLAla, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

A Russian never asks anyone to hold their vodka. The simply throw it back like oligarch on vacation and proceed.

clint64, BaylorGator, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

If I had bought this razor a month or two ago I would have gone for the .68 blade gap. I figured I'm ready for a more aggressive razor. I hope. :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Bama Samurai

If you think you're ready, and are excited about trying more aggressive... It means you are ready. It's going to be great.

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Chris! I actually feel pretty confident it's going to be a nice shave.

Famous last words.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

clint64, PLAla, FaceScraper and 4 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Skin stretching is the difference between bbs and injury at that gap level. As long as you mind the fundamentals, it's pretty hard to cut oneself. A blade moving parallel to taut skin (ride cap, light pressure) has no force acting upon it that would cause it to penetrante taut skin. If you're using a low angle and not getting cut now, it's unlikely that a change in razor head will be any worse than just increased irritation due to higher angle. You'll adjust quickly, maybe even day one.

Paul Turner, jtspartan, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  7. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I wasnt going to rush you lol. If your done with it, you can send it my way . I'll give it a nice safe home and use it often.

Bama Samurai, clint64, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I get a kick out of using products from the opposite end of the cost spectrum, so Arko plus Omega boar paired with a gold plated Joris...... well that is just :signs021:

Dealing with mental illness can be brutal. I have been through similar with some people that were very close to me. It was brutal to say the least, I felt useless in it seemed there was so little I could do to help. But all that you do does help even if you don't see it. I agree, be grateful for what we have, many have it far worse. Hang in there Chris.

jtspartan, Bama Samurai, RyX and 9 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I hadn't heard about your friend, Chris. I'll be praying for him.

Bama Samurai, Screwtape, RyX and 6 others like this.
  10. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

My bad....I didn't take notice that it's a synth. I thought you got a new Duke 3 to replace the one you had.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Day 152

Gem ClogPruf
    Gem Stainless
    Semogue BC Mistura
    Arko Stick
    Superior 70

Fresh blade was a bit rough as confirmed by a splash of Superior 70.

Overall, a nice shave with just a bit of short lived irritation.

12. Norcalnewb

29692187-CB2A-4B37-947A-4CBE0767DDD2.jpeg

April 23 SOTD:

Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Super Steel
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Lather: Jeeves of Hudson St Bay Rum
    Aftershave: Clubman VI Bay Rum
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

A gym shave this morning, and I was glad I had this razor. Washing my hair was hard enough, let alone shaving. This is definitely a good razor for mornings like this, as I got a DFS on two passes. I have no doubt the MMOC would have bit this morning, and I honestly would have skipped if I had packed it. It probably wasn't my best shaving experience, as I didn't work a great lather, but the results were more than good enough for this work day. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD April 23, 2018

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: GEM PTFE coated
    Razor: GEM G-Bar
    Brush: Rubberset 100T restored badger
    Soap: Stirling Grapefruit

Enjoyable shave on a typically draggy Monday morning. Stirling never disappoints and the faint menthol in the Grapefruit scent is nice. Nice run from the G-Bar and all worked together quite well.

Have a great day!

SOTD 4-23-18.JPG

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

A chin area weeper this morning, but nothing serious. I'm faced with a decision with my Local Gent Co. soap(Fields&Streams). The remaining soap essentially covers the circumference only..I'll try ONE shave with it, but I',m not sure how much soap I can get on the brush. Seems I'll have to scrape around the edges.

15. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

April 23rd ‘Menthol Monday’
    ‘59 Gillette Flare-Tip w Polsilver
    Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost SS
    TGN Finest Fan/ Maple
    Thayers
    Chatillon Lux Bon Vivant AS
    BE4A0BD5-EAB3-404D-99A3-328A44AE6E94.jpeg
    Very nice 3 pass shave this morning. Went with the Jack Frost for Menthol Monday. Pulled the Flare Tip, inspired by @RyX to use up some ‘on the go’ blades and this was already sitting there loaded from whenever the last time was I used it. A very underrated workhorse razor, imho. I think this was a Polsilver, but to be honest, it could have been a Wizamet. The markings are nearly identical. The Bon Vivant seemed to be as good a match as any to this uniquely scented soap.
    Have a great day all!

MR41, brit, Bama Samurai and 10 others like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Or throw it back like a Cubs fan in the bleachers.

17. Paul Turner

My local CVS has that Caffeinated shave cream....might give it a whirl!!

18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Great photos Clint! She looks like she is going to love it in Arizona!
    Great shot Jim! What plate did you get with the Krave ?
    Excellent photo, Perry!

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Chapter 23, Wherein our hero has an ominous foreshadowing of the MAYhem to come...

For as long as I've been on the forums, one of the uniformly disliked blades has been the Van der Hagen "Ice Tempered" blade. As a result, I had avoided getting any until recently when VdH offered a free tuck as part of signing up for their recycling program. Though I should probably have held them for next week, I decided this morning to kick off my personal MAYhem early and break one out.

So, we have a Slim set on 5 and a universally disliked blade. What's the worst that can happen? :)

It turns out... not much. I actually enjoyed this shave. It was smooth and efficient with no issues and no complaints about the blade. A definite BBS with, admittedly, just a touch of sting from the Alum. Once again, my Physiognomy causes a shaving product to behave counter to expectations.

Sigh. If this is a precursor to MAYhem, then I'm in for a repeat of last year. For those who don't remember, that included such missteps as shaving with a Chinese-made Gem-style blade, a shave which was very smooth but with little reduction owing to the fact that the blade had never been honed. Similarly, the "Hail Mary" of pairing my least favorite razor with my least favorite blade failed when the two actually worked well together.

20. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Perry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.