April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Just a quick advertising note:. My three brush multi-PIF in the Freebies section will be closing tomorrow. A number of you have entered but if anybody hasn't and wants to, you have today and to the end of tomorrow to do so. I will start drawing the three winners on Wednesday.

These are the three synthetic brushes:
    IMG_00000224.jpg

MR41, brit, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks-I'll skip that one.

jluc, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  3. Paul Turner

I'd like to get some confirmation here- a while back, I read that "canned goo" referred to canned GEL(like Edge or the Gillette Series), not cream. I immediately agreed to that, because it appeared to me that if you use Edge, you'd better not use Aqua Velva afterwards(or any cooling A.S. for that matter)because what you'd get is a liquid version of the same thing you just shaved with I wouldn't think of something like Barbasol Cream or...yes, Rise Super Foam..as a goo because they are more comforting on the face, IMO. Thus......who agrees that GEL is "goo", but cream/foam is....well, cream/foam?

4. Paul Turner

A follow up-having said all this shave SOAP falls into a different category altogether, of course, so using, for instance, Stoylin Xecutive Man A.S. after Xecutive Man soap is natural.

5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Try TOBS against cream from a can. Like comparing real whipped cream to cool whip. No contest. As far as I'm concerned, if it comes from a can it's goo. Can you make it work? Sure, but it's still aeresolized foam, not cream.

6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I was lead to believe its the propellent in the can that dries your skin. Since ive started using soaps , ive not gotten dried out . Knock some of the cheap stuff( im opening another can of worms) like William's or Colgate or Arko, but my experience has been soft skin after the shave . Haters are going to hate and to each his own but thats just what works for me . The Proraso is good too but im not a big fan of the softer creamy soaps or croaps or whatever they are called . Grew up watching my Dad using the hard soaps and he wouldnt touch a can if shave cream or foam ...ever . When i did use canned stuff the gel was better than foam but it dried faster than the William's. Just seemed like it was laden with alcohol or some ingredient that dried my skin . Thats my input .

FaceScraper, Keithmax, jluc and 9 others like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Bruce!

8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I remember when you posted those Joris razors when you got them, Chris. Awesome deal and great to hear that they are working well for you.
    Great photo and write up, Jim. All brass Canadian razor? $100? Good shaves? Nope, not interested...:sad024:
    Looks like a great set up, Perry.
    I’ve pulled my birth year long handled SA for tomorrow as well, Andrew. Great minds...
    The usual informative and well-written write up, John.

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Jason!

jluc, Norcalnewb, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Indeed! :eatdrink047:

jluc, Norcalnewb, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I keep a can of Barbasol (Arctic Chill) and will replace it when it's empty. When I use it I dispense into my shave bowl, knock the fluff out of it, and add water for a better fine tuned lather. In a pinch I could use it straight up.
    As to Goo? That's more a category encompassing anything from a pressurized can. I think most refined wet shavers include Barbasol in the group along with the gels.
    I wouldn't let it bother you Paul. It's your shave, enjoy it your way.
    Haters gonna hate baby pipe.jpg

I've found a preference for hard soap, too. Hard soaps are all soap so you know what you're paying for. Not that I don't use a cream or a soft soap. Soft soaps, croaps, and creams already have water blended in. I've got a faucet full of water and don't mind taking the time to souse and load. Considering the amount of unused lather that goes down the drain I've flexible either way. It's less about pinching pennies while enjoying good lather.

12. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Menthol Monday
    SOTD 4.23.2018
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: Barburys synthetic
    Cream: C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream
    Razor: Gillette '57 Flare-Tip
    Blade: Crystal (5)
    Post-shave: Assured WH, Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling PS Balm, Barbasol Brisk AS

Nice, comfortable shave with the Gillette Flare-tip loaded with a Crystal blade. Have a great week everyone!
    sotd 4.23.2018.jpg

MR41, brit, FaceScraper and 11 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

That picture brings me right back into family history-my dad loved pipes, and probably looked just like that in his "youth"-minus the pipe of course!(I recall seeing pictures of him at about that age). Oh, I'm not bothered by the "goo" thing-mainly because the Rise Super Foam does what the old Rise did-"seep moisture into the beard". One thing for sure-I doubt I'' uze Edge again, because of what I talked about in the original post..that could change if there ever was an Edge Aftershave.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Very nice, Dan!

clint64, PLAla, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason. Interested in one?

Screwtape, clint64, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Excellent picture of a classic shave, Dan!

clint64, PLAla, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thank you, guys!

clint64, Linuxguile, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Skills over-riding shenanigans? ;)

19. Bama Samurai

Anti-Atra campaign logo?

20. Bama Samurai

It pays to have dreams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.