No Poo!

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Rusty blade, May 9, 2018.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

No shampoo that is. I stopped using shampoo over a month ago and my hair has never looked and felt so good. I only wash with water and occasionally I will wash with a small amount of conditioner. Conditioner has some mild cleaning properties. My hair is not oily or dirty or smelly. For most of my life I fell for the marketing -- "Wash, rinse, repeat". I think back to the 1970s when the advertising promoted getting your hair to squeak...and it was all wrong. I will never use shampoo again. Anyone else try "No poo"?

Jayaruh, Keithmax, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

No. But I quit shampooing every day and now shampoo once or twice a week. I’ve been doing that for a couple of years and It seems to work better.

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. octoserge

octoserge Member

I’m gonna give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Maybe get a better shampoo/conditioner.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That's interesting just using water on the hair..if it works for you great. Personally I need to use something more to get what's left of the hair clean. I find an all natural hand soap does the trick and I haven't noticed that I smell like poo. I also have lady friends who use regular poo and imo, their hair tends to smell really good..think it's some kind of strawberry poo..:p

TobyC likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used some strawberry poo once as I ran out of my own poo and had to use the wife’s poo.

That day the women at work came over and took turns smelling my hair. They wanted to know the brand of poo I used so they could get some of that poo too!

True story! No poo!

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Just goes to show that

Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Hair on my head is one eighth of an inch long, just a small squirt of poo will do.

9. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

If you stay in a clean environment water, even cold water , does the trick, and indeed, the tallow production is reduced and the hair kooks and feels fine.

If you come into a dusty environment it becomes a different story.

Think of mountainbiking in hot and dusty australia, breaking down plasterwork in an old building, making concrete and pouring bags of cement into the mixer, using a spraygun without wearing the headcap, a week of camping with a campfire for cooking, rustprotecting the frame of the car with used oil,...

That is the moment where you realise that water, even hot water does not prevent you from getting dreadlocks in a week.
    Even with shampoo it is hard to get clean sometimes,...

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Five years ago I switched to shampoo bars and rinsing with vinegar, it made a huge difference. Also no more dandruff.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’ve had a similar experience with shampoo bars (though I rinse with lemon juice, because I can’t stand the smell of vinegar). But if I skip a day, my scalp gets itchy & flaky fast.

Zykris and Keithmax like this.
  12. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Apple vinegar?

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I guess I have graduated to the no poo class sort of. About once a month I will shampoo, but I don't repeat. I don't use product in my hair either.

Keithmax likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I started using Stirling’s Rosemary Mint shampoo bars, and my scalp has never been in better shape.

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

How did you know? I dilute it 50/50 with water.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Problems with oil and dandruff went away when I started shaving my head. Poo free and loving it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I enjoy my poo.

18. brit

brit in a box

may cut down a day or too.

19. Warp47

Warp47 New Member

Lucky for you, your hair is not oily. Mine is. I can't afford not to use shampoo every day.

20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Must be too long or you wouldn't notice.