The Decline and Resurgence of Wet Shaving

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Johnny, Feb 15, 2012.

1. brit

brit in a box

here i am playing around in the archives and i found this thread...i love de shaving. while most are still chasing gillettes latest and greatest( which de was a part of back in the day) this just works for me .
    a learned skill (but not like straights of course) but a skill just the same that rewards when one gets better.whether its a fresh for the day nivea/synthetic/tech shave or a rewarding evening relaxing t and f/badger/aristocrat shave i enjoy them all.
    much of todays technology is geared to put money in others pockets ,not to improve lives.but thats another story.
    in a world where corporations push you more for less, a nice older school de shave is a great way to step back from race.

2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I like your write up on change in our life's, I did a thread over at B&B "The new & old Technologies! A different view point." and the folks like to comment on the changes in their life time and not always for the better. Maybe another generation will come back 180 degrees to enjoy our ways of life that I would not trade for anything else.(it would be nice to leave the negative experiences out if possible that we all witness as we journey along in life.)

brit and Keithmax like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's funny reading this thread; I'm reminded that my oldest showed some interest in using a straight razor, claiming the terrible waste of cartridges going in to the landfill. So being the dad that I am, I research the blazes about straight and DE shaving. At the time he had just lost his sight and hadn't gotten his bearing being blind so I encouraged him to go in to DE shaving and to prove a point I started into DE shaving myself. Well there is a lot of anger and depression in big life change like loosing ones sight, so on top being angry about never learning to drive he said he didn't want to be bothered with it. A few years later for college graduation; I gave him a full shaving kit including a re- plated Slim, blades, bowl, soap and brush. I now have both my boys enjoying DE shaving.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My son learned how to shave with a DE from watching me. His mom had him try with a cart and then he decided that DEs were the way he wanted to go and has looked back once. He got a free Mach 5 in the mail out of the blue and used it until the blade died and then started using his DE again and came to me all surprised about how much better of a shave he got. "Duh," said I, and gave him that look of wisdom that my gray hairs allow from time to time. He went off to boot camp and used the cheap crappy disposables provided and one of the first purchases he made with his bootcamp money was a DE of his own choosing. He's still going strong today.

He also bought an adult hooded onesie.

Had to add that for some contrast :)

brit, Enrico and DesertTime like this.