MAYhem 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2018.

?

What's your MAYhem look like?

1. Gonna use some brand new gear that I've never tried and just have FUN with it!

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I'm thinking of pairing some gear together I've never paired before.

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Time to go full dark side and learn straights - this is the month to bleed after all.

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. A total bloody mess may be in my future - stand by!

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  5. I'm playing it safe and eating as many cookies as I can.

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

This was a Pacific. I have an Assured as well. I had to work out the alignment but get good shaves out of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great setup Gary! Like the classic car model in the photo too. Is that a two-band badger you have in your Jayaruh brush? I think you will spend a long time trying to find a good razor that the Nacet blades does NOT perform well in.

Oh, go ahead, Paul. Be bold! Be reckless! Go wayout on a limb here! Predict the winner of this month's race while the horses are still rounding the first turn! You know you want to... ;)

Keithmax, Linuxguile, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  3. Screwtape

Mark @Boojum1 -- great grill photo as usual. Two things I was wondering:

1. Is that one of those French artisan donkey's milk soaps? What's it really like?

2. The new Proraso Cypress and Vetiver scent -- description and assessment?

Inquiring minds want to know who are on NB'18 and therefore shouldn't even be inquiring to avoid temptation...

Keithmax, Boojum1, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

steve mcqueen bullitt 68 mustang.brush has a 2 band maggard badger knot.thank you ,hope you are healing well.
    cookies always win

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Keithmax, PLAla, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem 2018!!!!!

May 21

Razor - El Cheapo Rapira
    Blade - rapira-stainless.jpg (1)
    Soap - Truefitt & Hill 1805
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

Time to revisit an old el cheapo razor, the Rapira that they will give away with blades sometimes. Or sell very cheap with some blades. It's a lightweight razor, plastic handle, cheap metal head and the blade is held in place with 4 tabs - one on each corner. This is the razor famous for "making a Voskhod rough" when I first used it a couple of years ago. Well, we know technique should make all things better, or at least workable, so let's test the theory with this one. I chose the Rapira "chrome" blade since it's my least favorite Rapira of the bunch. It's not a bad blade, just not my preference in the group. T&H 1805 and the Wolf provided a very nice lather and I was ready to shave.

One of the basic principles we teach here is "ride the cap". That works well with this razor, and the last few times I've used it I've been able to get a decent shave out of it. Tonight was a very nice shave, if a bit less than optimally smooth. Not rough, just not as smooth as something like a Fatboy or Lather Catcher. Two passes and some touch up and I called it a done shave. I felt like I was a bit irritated from the shave but alum was quiet, so it wasn't as bad as I feared. The finish is a solid near-BBS so no complaints there either. Overall a very nice shave with a razor that, at one point, was harsh and difficult for me. Nice.

May 21 2018.JPG

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

May 21st
    Razor: Blackbird OC
    Blade: Dorco ST301
    Brush: RR Bruce
    Stirling mentholated pre shave
    Soap: Stirling Eskimo Tuxedo
    Stirling tea tree witch hazel
    AS: Proraso

Good evening gentlemen!

I seem to have lost focus of my focus. The only constant has been the Blackbird. I'm ok with that. My goal was to get consistently good shaves from the razor, so far so good.

Menthol Monday for this evenings shave. A nice DFS+. I did some extra touch up on my neck which resulted in warmer than usual alum. Someday I'll learn to just go with two passes on my neck and call it good. Today wasn't the day.

First time I've used a Dorco blade, it felt smooth and sharp. I'll see how the next few shaves go.

I picked up a few more Stirling products, the pre shave soap, Eskimo Tuxedo, and tea tree witch hazel. The pre shave was nice. The shave soap was Stirling. The tea tree witch hazel felt soothing but the scent is less than pleasant. The smell of tea tree oil isn't for me.

Have a great night fellas!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Clearly this crowd favors treats over pain. Hard to understand....but it is what it is. :signs002:

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll concede A&M in the SEC. But Mizzou? Nope. Haven't done a thing to deserve the honor. Shouldn't have been selected in the first place. Heresy. Heresy, I say.

Keithmax, Linuxguile, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The only problem is not enough of them.....

You will get it down quick I am sure.
    Awesome report. I can understand you liking the GJB a touch more!!

Love reading about the progress here!!

How did you lather the Williams? It really does not take as much water as most say.

There could even be some babies balloons popping going on... Love those cookies.

THAT IS NOT A LATHER CATCHER!!!!!!!!

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is really an amazing razor. The OC Damaskeene and Treet Super was smooth as silk on a 3ish day old beard. Boots shave sticks rock with a big ole boar. Finished up with a tpuch oh menthol for Monday!!
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, RyX, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

(Just got done for the day, catch you all tomorrow.)

Keithmax, RyX, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  12. Screwtape

Oh yes, I remember now. And the wood on that one is zebrawood. Those Jayaruh 400-style brushes are great and that was an excellent choice of knot to fit in one. Now that you've had it a month, are you still liking it? :)

Keithmax, RyX, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've seen it called a Lather Catcher more often than not but.......yeah, I compare it more to the 1912 actually. Anything with a "vestigial" lather scoop is suspect at best.

14. brit

brit in a box

i like it very much. i have only used it 3 or 4 times as i only shave 2-3 times a week and rotate through all my stuff..good back bone and quite soft.my 4th badger brush.1 vulfix pure-scritchy,and 2 simpson best badger.they feel similar to the 2 band.thank you.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Usually it's called the little lather catcher. The closed head is what I think makes the difference. They had moved on from the open head design. Completely new loading system and all. I have a 1915 pat. date Kampfe bros/star that is not a lather catcher either. But to be honest the 1914 is a great razor. Much better to me then the 1924.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

SOTD :)
    R41, Other stuff the same. Another hurried pic but most importantly a decent shave.
    Futur shave didn't have as long a life through the day....we'll see what the R41 manages :)
    Detour week this week
    upload_2018-5-22_8-55-47.png

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Keithmax, RyX, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Great pic, Perry. I would tend to agree that one has to find the right angle with it, as opposed to it being intuitive, like a G or E style razor.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Easily my favorite synthetic, and probably my best overall performer.

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Jim!

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, gentlemen! The golf was a lot of fun, and there is something about watching a 90 year old man follow a 7 year old boy off the tee box. Definitely a special time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.