Old Type or New Type Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fishcrow, Feb 6, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

What is the difference between an old type Gillette and a new type Gillette. I see these terms often id describing Gillette Razors.

2. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is that the "old" are the vintage DEs and the "new" are the injectors. However, I'll have to admit I have not encountered the old/new advertizing. Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

Proverbs 3:5-6

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is a New.

TSD.JPG

This is an OLD.

Single Ring Finished View TSD.jpg

fishcrow and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Here's a link to Mr Razor and OLD Type Gillettes.
    Here's a link to Mr Razor and NEW Type Gillettes.
    I have one of each. I find the OLD to be more aggressive than the NEW.

Edit to add: Gary beat me to the pics! Nice!!

fishcrow and Hanzo like this.
  5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Not that you asked about them, but here's a link to Mr Razor and New Improved Type Gillettes.

The New Improved was manufactured after the Old Type, but before the New Type.

So the timeline goes Old Type > New Improved Type > New Type.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Thanks. I do agree that Old Style Gillettes are more aggressive. My old style open comb, I find is very aggressive..

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I always thought the Old Type was just such a nice easy mild shave and that the NEW was much more aggressive.

8. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

Key indicator that you have an old type are the two large locating pins.

9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I am going to hope that folks here are much more knowledgeable now than they were in 2012. (Even then the razors were well known to anyone with internet access.)

Both the OLD and The New are fairly low on the aggressiveness scale, around 4, maybe 4 1/2 out of 10. I still say the OLD type is the best double edge razor ever made, but the New, and the pre war Tech, are great shavers too.

Jrdelgado, PanChango and Enrico like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nope, the New Improved retains the pins. It's the curved head that distinguishes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    TobyC likes this.
  11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You'll also find pins on most of the clones, near-clones, and razors in general from the '20's through the '50's, along with most modern 3 piece razors.

Jrdelgado likes this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Curved head? You mean top of the baseplate?

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Curved baseplate[​IMG]

Frijolero and TobyC like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Wow. I looked at the first post and scratched my head, wondering why @fishcrow was asking such a basic question...then I looked at the date. Lol

15. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My gillette new does not have the pins.

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The New Improved is different then the New. The New Improved was made between the Old Type and the New. There is also a New Deluxe that is a flat bottom version of the New.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit and TobyC like this.
  17. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Interesting "fact." As far as I can tell, while we speak of many pre-NEW razors as Old Type, I don't think Gillette called anything Old Type until 1921. Waits talks about "Old Style" to refer to 3-pin razor caps (which include some OC New Improved Models), but these run from 1904-29. His "Old Type" entry suggests a 1921 date with the words "Old Type" under the diamond trademark in pocket style cases. While Krumholz uses our modern way of discussing Old Types, his research agrees with Waits. When Gillette wanted to market and push the more expensive New Improved razor, it created the Old Type brand at a less expensive price point ($1) for those who wanted what they were used to. Apparently, these Old Type branded razors were the Brownie models and Pioneer models and such.

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I though it worked in this thread. All credit goes to Phillip Krumholz and Robert Waits for the info.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They certainly were not Old before 1921..

19. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Ah, i picked it up at a second shop it was just labled new. Whatever it is it shaves nice.

brit likes this.
  20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

New Improved ~ Pins

New ~ No Pins

Show us your razor please.