Blade Storage Cigar Box

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by mvd, May 29, 2018.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

If the tobyc here is the same one that did some cigar box razor storage some years ago, then thanks! I have used his techniques a few times, and decided to put them into action once again for my sample packs of blades.

I gave the box a spray of clear coat just in case those off gas rumours aren't rumours after all.

Here are some pics:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs021:

TobyC and mvd like this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Yep, that was me! Good to know that stuff was helpful, looks great my friend! :happy096:

4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

This is some of my junk.

100_2389_25.jpg

I didn't do anything special for the blades though.

100_2390_25.jpg 100_2391_25.jpg

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

6. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

TobyC likes this.
  7. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I am getting better at these razor boxes but still not exactly where I want to be. I like this box better than my first try, but the middle section is a bit too high, and I should have been able to fit another razor in. Also, I might start looking for multi level boxes since I have a good sized collection. Otherwise, I will end up with lots of cigar boxes. Maybe cigar boxes for high end display and a multi level box for the ones in frequent rotation.

Anyhow here is today's project.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

8. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

The boxes from "La Barba One and Only" would be perfect for this...

9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

There's always multi drawer jewelry boxes.

Keithmax and mvd like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use wooden cigar boxes to store all my collected and spare blades. I also use them to store the various razors I have collected. They are inexpensive, work well, easy to find and have some variety to them.:)

Ijustmissedthe50s, Keithmax and mvd like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Depending on humidity levels in your area, i would think a silika pack may be in order.
    Cigar boxes were designed to hold moisture in, I'd think the goal would be to remove it away from blades.

178-bplatoon, Keithmax and mvd like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love wooden cigar boxes, but unfortunately, I hate the smell of tobacco. If you share my distaste for it, I have a solution. Take a cotton ball and spray some cedar oil on it. Leave it in the cigar box for a week and the tobacco smell will be gone.

13. Weasel640

No not really. Cigar boxes are not Humidors, they do not hold the moisture. Hence the reason for Humidors. A cigar box is just a box that hold the cigars, nothing more. Most are made of wood that is Spanish Cedar lined, they do not seal. Some are made of cardboard on cheaper lines. Just like any other box they will dry out depending on the humidity of the environment they are in.

Most cigar boxes lose that smell if you simply leave them open, empty for a week.

Keithmax and mvd like this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Cedar oil, which comes from the Eastern Red Cedar, or aromatic cedar, can be very bad for some people, wood allergies are more common than you think.

2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION 2.1 Classification of the substance or mixture: GHS Classification in accordance with 29 CFR 1910 (OSHA HCS) Skin irritation (Category 2), H315 For the full text of the H-Statements mentioned in this section, see Section 16. 2.2 GHS Label elements, including precautionary statements: Pictogram Signal Word Warning Hazard statement(s) H315 Precautionary statement(s) P264 P280 Causes skin irritation P302 + P352 P321 P332 + P313 Wash skin thoroughly after handling Wear protective gloves P362 IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water. Specific treatment (see supplemental first aid instructions on this label). If skin irritation occurs: Get medical advice/attention. Take off contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Page 2 of 6 2.3 Hazards not otherwise classified (HNOC) or not covered by GHS: none 3. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS 3.1 Substance Synonyms: Cedarwood Oil CAS-No: 8000-27-9 Hazardous Components: Component Classification Concentration Oils, Cedarwood Skin irritation 2; H315 ≤100% 4. FIRST AID MEASURES 4.1 Description of first aid measures: General advice: Move out of dangerous area. Consult a physician. Show this safety data sheet to doctor in attendance. If inhaled: If breathed in, move person into fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. Consult a physician. In case of skin contact: Wash off skin with soap and plenty of water. Consult a physician. In case of eye contact: Flush eyes with water as a precaution If swallowed: Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Rinse mouth with water. Consult a physician. 4.2 Most important symptoms, both acute and delayed: The most important symptoms and effects are described in labeling (see section 2.2) and/or in section 11 4.3 Indication of any immediate medical attention and special treatment needed: No data available 5. FIREFIGHTING MEASURES 5.1 Extinguishing media: Use water spray, alcohol-resistant foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. 5.2 Special hazards arising from the substance or mixture: No special hazards known 5.3 Advice for firefighters: Wear self-contained breathing apparatus for firefighting, if necessary 5.4 Further information: No data available 6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES 6.1 Personal precautions, protective equipment, and emergency proced Page 3 of 6 For personal protection, see section 8. 6.2 Environmental precautions: Do not let product enter drains. 6.3 Methods and materials for containment and cleaning up: Soak up with inert absorbent material and dispose of as hazardous waste. Keep in suitable, closed container for disposal. 6.4 Reference to other sections: For disposal, see section 13. 7. HANDLING AND STORAGE 7.1 Precautions for safe handling: Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid inhalation of vapor or mist. Normal measures for preventative fire protection. For precautions, see section 2.2. 7.2 Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities: Keep container tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated space. Containers which are opened must be carefully resealed and kept upright to prevent leakage. Light sensitive. 7.3 Specific end use(s): Apart from the uses mentioned in section 1.2, no other specific uses are stipulated. 8. EXPOSURE CONTROL / PERSONAL PROTECTION 8.1 Exposure controls: Appropriate engineering controls: Handle in accordance with good industrial hygiene and safety practice. Wash hands before breaks and at the end of the work day. Personal protective equipment: Eye/face protection: Safety glasses with side-shields conforming to EN166. Use equipment for eye protection tested and approved under appropriate government standards, such as NIOSH (US) or EN166 (EU). Skin Protection: Handle with gloves. Gloves must be inspected prior to use. Use proper glove removal technique (without touching glove’s outer surface) to avoid skin contact with this product. Dispose of contaminated gloves after use in accordance with applicable laws and good laboratory practices. Wash and dry hands. Body protection: The type of protective equipment must be selected according to the concentration and amount of the dangerous substance at the specific workplace. Respiratory protection: Page 4 of 6 Where risk assessment shows air-purifying respirators are appropriate, use a fill-face respirator with multi-purpose combination (US) or type ABEK (EN 14387) respirator cartridges as a backup to engineering controls. If the respirator is the sole means of protection, use a full-face supplied air respirator. Use respirators and components tested and approved under appropriate government standards, such as NIOSH (US) or CEN (EU). Control of environmental exposure: Do not let product enter drains.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

BINGO! All of this is on the money! :happy096:

Jrdelgado likes this.
  16. Weasel640

Plus another thing... Cigar shops sell cigar boxes by the lot... If you search "Cigar Box Lot" you can find assortments of 10 or more for really cheap. By the time you would get them most if not all the tobacco smell is gone.

Keithmax and TobyC like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Cigars International sells them in lots of 10. I have ordered from them. (they offer a choice of wood or cardboard cigar boxes.) They also have brick & mortar stores, where you can buy them, one at a time.

I can still smell the tobacco, but I suppose that can vary with the seller and with the individual's sense of smell.

If that works for you, it's a great idea. As for me, I can still smell it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  18. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Try a couple of cloves, or these....

[​IMG]

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I guess that could work but I like the cedar oil better

TobyC likes this.
  20. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I use cigar boxes to hold a lot of my reloading things. Mostly bullets I cast, from lead. What I have have done is find some boxes you like of a popular brand. That way you can get a steady supply of the same box. Having the same size boxes makes it so much easier to stack them, and keeps them organized. I’ll use only one type of box to store a certain thing. That way I know at a glance what’s in it.

178-bplatoon, brit, mvd and 1 other person like this.