Dollar Tree $1 Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by gzp, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    They just showed up at our Dollar Tree, too. I picked up two of them.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have not found them here.

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I picked up one a couple weeks ago. Very light. Also a very mild shave, almost to mild. The young 20-something guy that rang me up said "Those are the best razors made." I feel like getting him a real Super Speed.

Herm

AGHisBBS, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I picked one up a while back. It's similar to the Pacific razor that was being sold. The blades were decent for a shave or three. After a little finnagling it aligned well enough for some right good shaves. I've heard others say they rust easily, but I haven't had that issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

My Assured brand dollar store razor rusted:)

AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and gorgo2 like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lol. Or a good Gem Jr.

Herm2502 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So is this the VDH and that other brand DE (bald guy on the box) that I see sold for around $20 at Walmart, CVS, etc?

8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

No, those are made by Weishi out of much higher quality material (i.e., Brass).

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ah, thank you. At a glance this $ Tree one sure looks identical.

10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Somehow the Chinese have mastered the ability to make versions of a product that look almost identical, but are made out of materials varying in weight and quality from used soda cans to Brass.

While I don't have a Weishi, they are supposed to have a weight similar to a classic SuperSpeed. OTOH, the Pacific razor (precursor to the Assured) is lighter but still relatively solid and a Nanjie razor (almost identically visually) seems to have no weight at all.

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

By the way, if anyone tries this razor's blades, be careful. I found out the hard way that the end tabs are stamped out with teeny tiny barbs on each end that will snag you good. I have NO IDEA what they were thinking when they included this "feature" in the stamping but it's the most idiotic thing I've ever seen.

12. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

My local Dollar Tree store has them in stock. I picked one up today in my travels. I was curious to see what a $1 razor looks like. Cheap enough entertainment. The funny thing is I don’t even use DE razors. Oh well, my wife might use it.

13. HUF

HUF Active Member

BTW, a few months ago, I saw VDH razor at Burlington Coat Factory store in Eynon, PA for $13.

MR41 likes this.
  14. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

They just showed up in central Ga.I grabbed one and have shaved with it twice.It is very light and I swear I have to use a slightly differnt angle with this one in comparison to my other DE's.I am using the blades that came with it.They started off each shave so far a bit grabby but smooth out nicely,never as smooth as a name brand blade.But I do wtg,l-r,atg and get a DFS almost BBS with warm Williams lather.

RyX likes this.
  15. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Made in China? I'll pass.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have a few of these and they all work about the same, mild and easy.
    I could not use the blades that came with them because they pulled like a dull blade on my face. But I do not have any issue with using one with different blades. I put a Dorco 301 in them and got an OK shave concidering I have been using nothing but feathers for my face.
    Haven't used Feathers in one of these yet but that's in the rotation for September, after my Poenix DOC run, when it gets here.
    Feather blades will proof out the shaves for me.
    Still on my Schöne OC for the next few days but will post the results of the dollar razor/feather blade here, if only for..
    sǝlƃƃᴉƃ puɐ sʇ□ɥS :D
    tp

MntnMan62 likes this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I cut my Schöne OC run short and tried the Dollar Tree dollar razor with a new feather blade.

You might think that it would be a itchy, burning, blood bath, but you'd be wrong.
    :confused:
    Using Italian Barber Amici for the lather and going cold on the shave as always it wasn't half bad. :)
    IMO the razor is just a hair below the Van Der Hagan tto in feel but not as gentle as my Merkur MK 23c or the Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle.
    I had no issues with the shave and will use it for the rest of the week for good form.:duel:

I'll let ya know how it goes.
    tp

18. urrlord

I did my third shave this a.m. with this razor and I think the blade is just about done in.I think tomorrow's shave will be with a derby or a freds blade

Terry likes this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

So I used the dollar razor all week. I only used it in the morning and had to clean up at night the last 4 days and I like other razors, so I switched it up a bit.
    IMO
    With a Feather blade I was good about 6 hours, good as some other razors I own so I wouldn't count this little critter out. Concidering the price, I'll have a few around the shack for give aways and travle. Not nearly as good as some, but with a good blade it's 10 times better than the plastic disposable razors, even though it's a disposable razor.
    tp

20. urrlord

Today I used the dollar tree razor with a derby blade on it's fourth use and got an almost BBS on 3 passes.Next payday i'll grab a handful and toss into the closet.A few years ago I got a no name chinese razor off Ebay after 2 months or so some of the chrome plating peeled off revealing plastic underneath.I'm waiting on that to happen to this razor.