Old formula vs new formula? Have you ever liked the old one better?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LatherShaves, Jun 17, 2018.

1. LatherShaves

LatherShaves New Member

Hello,

Have any of you ever preferred an older soap base that an Artisan has used over their 'new and improved' version?

I just thought that would be an interesting topic.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Artisan, no.
    Commercial, yes.

AoS, Trumper's. Old formula was better.

Porazo, new formula is better.

P160 old was better. New was worse. New and improved is comparable to the old formula.

TBS soap/cream, Maca Root formula is better than the old version.

Edit: improved versions usually are an improvement, except....when a company goes from tallow to vegan products. Vegan can be the equal of a tallow, but the first iteration/version seldom is.

3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Stirling old was good - the new is outstanding.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Can’t believe nobody’s said Williams yet.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. The old Williams is better. The new is still good.

The Body Shop Maca Root cream sucks toes compared to the old formula. I still have a couple tubs of it.

As far as Artisan stuff I do not use enough to know.

Yehuda D, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Repeating some mentioned...
    Trumpers OLD

Crabtree & Evelyn OLD
    Art of Shaving OLD
    Williams OLD
    Barrister & Mann NEW
    Old Spice OLD
    Mystic Water NEW

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I never tried the old version of Barrister & Mann, but the new is excellent.

Ditto for Sapanifico Verisino. The Felce Aromatica I have was Beta [version] 3.9, and was outstanding.

I looked it up, and they are on "Beta 4.3" which begs the question, when will they decide they have an "Alpha" formula?

jtspartan and Linuxguile like this.
  8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

In software, the first versions are alpha, followed by beta, followed by "release candidates" followed by the final versions.

Yehuda D, Linuxguile and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'd forgotten that. Good call.

Yehuda D and Linuxguile like this.
  10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I have noticed most in the wet shaving comnunity prefere the older over the new version. For me i enjoy williams new the same as I did the old. I prefere new old spice scent but prefere the longevity of the old. I prefere vintage razors, but its mostly for the history, most other things talked about here i have no experience with the vintage versions.

11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't like change. If that's you and you find a product you like and then they change it, you're going to be prejudiced against the new version. That's just human nature. On the flip side, if you disliked the old version, how likely are you to try the new version? So I would expect the general drift of opinions to be in favor of the older versions.

I have no idea how many (if any) of the people here fit that mold, I expect that the members here are more open to new experiences than the average population or they wouldn't be here.

178-bplatoon and Frijolero like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Not I. I know good stuff when I use it and know if it's worse when they change it. I can also recognize improvements.

13. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

That's why I put the weasel words "if any" in there. Like I said, I expect that the members here are more open to new experiences than the average population or they wouldn't be here. Your post just backs that up. The broader your experience, the better your ability to judge the change. Also, although I didn't specify, I was thinking more in terms of minor changes, rather than the big ones.