How much time does it take you to shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Compa, Oct 29, 2009.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Three passes with touch up, 15-20 minutes.

2. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

When I first started traditional wetshaving, I kept reading the advice, "take your time, this might take more time than you think" So when I was shaving in 10-15 minutes I was concerned I was doing it wrong, but still getting desired results. I'm glad that this thread has shown me that 10-15 minutes isn't that freaky fast.

3. Making lather, lathering up, 2 passes, applying balm and cleaning up takes all of about 10 minutes.

I am perpetually running late, so most weekday mornings I don't have time to bring out the folding straights.

As a result I've gotten very comfortable using the Feather AC DX and KAI Captain Excelia. I never thought it would take me 10 minutes for a 2 pass shave with straight, but there you go...

4. Compa

Compa Member

I've discovered that even if I get up earlier, I end up my whole routine by the same time (6:45) 'cause if I wake up late, I slice my face while shaving and if I get up earlier then I shave slower than usual haha.

All in all, I think practice is giving me a bit of speed. I think it takes me about 10 minutes less to finish and still get the same great experience (... I don't think that's something my GF would like to hear haha)

I try not to worry about the time it takes me to shave... yet I want to do it a bit faster so I don't have to worry about being late for work :prrr

5. flipflopsnowman

flipflopsnowman New Member

PSO, shower, hot towel, lather, 4 pass shave, rinse, alum takes about 40 minutes.

If I speed up my shave and don't go for BBS or PSO/shower/hot towel (2-3 passes instead of 4) it takes about 15 minutes total.

I find that when I'm in a hurry, it's way better to remove steps than to speed up the process. I'm guessing I could get a face wash, lather, 2 pass shave, rinse and after shave in 5-10 minutes but why would I want to do that when I can enjoy the "zen like process" of cleanliness for 40 minutes?

6. Compa

Compa Member

Haha yeah :D d(n_n)b "zen like process" is what keeps me saying "screw it, I'm doing it slow"

7. jordan84

jordan84 New Member

I find about 45min with 3 passes and a couple of touch ups and Iam done but sometimes longer if I havent shaved in a couple of days I found lately shaving every day works the best at night time. Just before I go to bed I spend the time to have a nice relaxing shave.

8. TuttoItaliaOnline

TuttoItaliaOnline New Member

I always end up in about ten minutes. If everything goes smooth, I'll do another run with the lather I already made. If the lather tekes loner or I need to change blades or whatever, then it's just once and will alos take about 10 minutes. Weekends can be longer though. And now that I start with using a hot towel before the glycerine soap, it sometimes takes a little more.

9. Jamazar

Jamazar Member

30 to 45 mins for me

10. Milton

Milton New Member

It typically takes me 20 minutes if I take my time.

Speed Run? I've gotten a DFS in 5 minutes before. Loaded my slant, put on brushless SC and let it sit for a minute, WTG, XTG, apply AS, and run out the door.

11. Idgie

Idgie New Member

About 15 minutes for me.

12. Compa

Compa Member

seems the average is 15 mins
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who takes 45+ mins hehe n__n

13. GrimRep_er

GrimRep_er New Member

Today, my 3rd wet shave ever, took me 20 mins. I did much better than my previous 2 shaves thanks to threads from this site and Mantics videos. I was really careful on my neck this time and finished without any blood shed! Taking my time, and shaving w/the grain helped a lot. My neck is acutally skin color instead of red.

Oh, as a noob....what is BBS? I missed a few other's to put I don't want to go back to page one and have to retype, lol.

I shave in the evening which works out great for me, especially since now shaving takes me much longer than it used to.

How often do you all shave? Now I shave every other day. When I used Mach 3 I would shave ever 3rd day (since I hated doing it)!

UMMM, that's about it!

14. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Glad to hear its coming together for you. :happy088

BBS = Baby Butt Smooth

The majority of my shaves are done in the evening, sometimes in the afternoon, but I have a weird swing shift schedule.

I like to shave daily just since I enjoy it so much now, but sometimes due to work, I may skip a day or two here or there. Back when I used cartridges and canned gel, I would do it once a week whether I needed it or not. :rolleyes:

15. Thandor

Thandor New Member

If I have to do a speed run, I have a mach 3 as a backup. That monstrosity usually takes me 10 minutes. If I have the luxury of time, my shick injector takes me about an hour.

16. highball

highball Member

10-15 minutes, including clean up

17. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I haven't been timing myself, but I've definitely knocked some time off of my shaves. I think I have it down to about 20-25 minutes.

18. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

Pure DE shave:
    About 15 minutes from start of lather formation to finish - with one WTG and one XTG. Depending on the blade I'm trying, it usually results in decent shave to DFS (with weeper or two on occasion if it's a more aggressive blade).

Shave using a mix of straight and DE (am still learning straight so I use the DE to finish up parts of my neck):
    About 35-45 minutes from start of lather building to finish.

In the end though, like you said Compa, as long as I'm not in a hurry for work or anything, I too don't really care how long it takes -- only that I enjoy the time regardless of whether it's 15 mins. or 45.

In fact, sometimes I have to be careful because I enjoy it so much I find myself wanting to take even longer or shave more often - to the point that I put off other things I should be doing instead of shaving (wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where you get paid to shave yourself)...

19. saltypete

saltypete New Member

I allow 15 to 20 mins. I don't rush as I enjoy the ritual too much.

Pete

20. nealf

nealf New Member

I am going to say 10 - 15 minutes.