Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

bild-015_108667152.jpg
    Googles vanilla extract, this cam up. This is used (as far as I know) in baking. I dont know if one should use it in say a Pre-shave oil

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If you can eat it, it should be safe on your skin.

3. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

I would make sure it is oil based like the link i posted. Most vanilla used in cooking contains alcohol (prob not the best ingredient in a pre shave), and also water and thus will not infuse with oil.

4. Omelmad

Good point =)

5. Omelmad

thats harder to find... =(

6. BJV

BJV Active Member

I'm going to give this a try. I've been wet shaving for more than 50 years, and have only heard of pre-shave oil recently. I've got the olive and castor oil on hand.

Now all I need is the essential oil in lasagna fragrance.

Adonis and Sara-s like this.
  7. jjhiza

jjhiza New Member

Great tutorial. I'm definitely going to give this a try!

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I ordered some bottles from specialty bottle today. They have the best prices I've seen. Thanks for the lead.

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both those bottle work great. The pump bottle is especially handy for oil-dispensing...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I bought 1 of each and 6 8oz containers with lids. Great prices! Again, thank you..

11. lobomalo72

lobomalo72 Member

I will give it a try. Thanks

12. BJV

BJV Active Member

I've used Alpha-Keri Moisture-Rich Oil for years due to a recommendation (for any skin irritation) from my dermatologist. It is unsurpassed as a moisturizer since it is an emollient, which holds moisture close to the skin, and as the dermatologist told me, "There's only one true moisturizer in the world."

It spreads easily, so it goes a long way, has a very light fragrance, and is readily available online (although it's increasingly difficult to find in drug stores--as are many items these days). It also works great as an after-shave balm.

An eight-ounce bottle (with a convenient dispensing lid) should be about $10.

Attached Files:

13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Where would one purchase Sweet Almond Oil. I have read almond oil is good for dry skin so i would like to try it out.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Any "Hippy Dippy Health Foods Store" might carry it. Any store that carries Dr. Bonner's Magic Soaps" will probably carry it. You can also get it on Amazon.

16. BigMark

Lol. There is a Health Food store I pass on my way to work. I will give them a visit later on in the week.

17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Thanks for the post. Does anyone else have concerns regarding the effects of various oils on shave brushes? I never really had a problem, just spent a little extra time washing out the brush.

18. BigMark

Are there an issues?

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I generally feel there is not. However, I have perused a few threads where the subject of brushes requiring extra rinsing when using some oils. Forgive me if I appear to be an alarmist. Just attempting to stimulate the discussion.

20. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

I've used preshave oil daily for 4 years and never noticed any issues with my brushes. I figure that I shave with soap and hot water, and the same basic combo is used to remove oil and grease from dishes and pans in my kitchen. My brushes always feel squeaky clean, never oily. If you're worried at all, just clean them from time to time with shampoo. It's made to remove residual oils from hair.

Kilgore Trout likes this.