Anyone a shampoo bar user?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Darkbulb, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Been reading a lot about shampoo bars lately and just today I decided to plunk down some money and ordered a shampoo bar from Mike's.

It'll be the first shampoo bar I've ever used (and the first product by Mike actually) so I'm curious as to how it will perform.

Anyone out there a converted shampoo bar user?

Stock photo:
    [​IMG]

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never tried it. Honestly, I'm confused by the whole soft soap 'body wash' and hard shampoo bars. Seems like it's all from a world gone mad. And, the soap above looks a lot like cheese to me, which only further complicates matters. I'm interested in hearing what you think, as well as any info in general on why I'd want to use a shampoo bar.

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm a bit 'lost' as well but intrigued enough to try it out :)
    I do like the idea of knowing exactly what is in the shampoo as opposed to the rather artificial-sounding-ingredients in most shampoo bottles you find in the stores.
    People also seem to like it for traveling, no issue with having it in a carry-on since it's solid, etc.

I'll be sure to bore you all with a mini-review when I get it :)

4. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I've been using shampoo bars for the last 6 months or so and won't be changing. I've tried bars from Mystic Waters and Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve and they've been very good. Right now I prefer Chagrin Valley because oz for oz it's cheaper, shipping is cheaper and it's a local company to me. In general I just like the scents and the effect it has on my hair and scalp. Having said that, you can get bad ones for you. I've tried 3 Chagrin Valley ones and while they are all good soaps one dried my scalp and hair badly enough for it to flake. Switching to another resolved the problem in one wash.

I tried shampoo soap as a novelty I guess but it turned out to be a great product.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

They seem to have some really interesting scents and I like how well they explain the whole shampoo bar concept.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I converted 9 months ago and it takes a week to get used to it. The first week your hair will feel dry and then after that it will free great. I also use a vinegar rinse and twice a week treatment with olive oil and honey.

7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I use a shampoo bar for traveling. JR Liggetts. Works like a charm.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Everything you wanted to know about shampoo bars but were afraid to ask ---> *click*

Darkbulb, richgem and Erik Redd like this.
  9. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I use shampoo bars. Taconic has a nice bay rum scent bar.

And the link Steve posted above is a great read on shampoo bars, it's what got me to try them.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very interesting!

11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Nope, never heard of them. :innocent

12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I use shampoo bars exclusively after someone recommended them for dandruff. Mine completely disappeared after I started using a neem and tea tree oil bar. Also gets that many more potentially harmful chemicals out of my life.

I would highly recommend trying them, and the better companies have $2 to $3 sample bars. I am going to try the conditioner bars soon as well....

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great info. Thanks!

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thank @richgem , he put it together.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

He is such a sweetie pie.

16. richgem

Ummm..... thanks?

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

:eatdrink047: No, really, great job on that post. I learnt a lot.

18. richgem

My pleasure!

19. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I've been using bath soap (nice bath soap, like Stirling, etc.)
    instead of shampoo for the past several months. One less thing to take to the gym, etc.

Seems to work fine for my hair, which is pretty easy going, what's left of it.

But I have not tried a true shampoo bar, maybe it would be a whole lot better...

20. richgem

Generally, this can be done with no problem, although many bath soaps aren't true soap. They are detergent bars and thus contain SLS or similar. This is no better for your hair than liquid shampoo, but if it works for you, go for it. High quality soap and artisan soaps tend to be real soap and don't contain detergents.