swimming in the bay? (3 new flavors)

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by maltedmilk, Apr 16, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Though I wasn't in imminent danger of running out, I wanted a backup bottle of Clubman V.I. Bay Rum. I can't get it locally, so have to get my money's worth out of the shipping for a given order. It was with this in mind that I noticed something pretty cool about Atlanta Barber Supply: their shipping rate didn't go up for each item in the basket!

SO... to "save" on shipping (and to finally satisfy my curiosity!), I ordered the houndog out of some Bay Rum! Coming today, a Bay Rum bottle of each:
    Lucky Tiger
    Black Magic
    Lustray
    Clubman (refill, not new)

I have some Masters, which I like, but the Clubman has edged it out for me. Funny, 'cuz my initial preference was reversed.

SWMBO is going to lump me for sure, but I am looking forward to sampling all the variety. I think I'll have enough to swim in, for sure!

But how else do you know if you'll like it? I read all the YMMV opinions. It didn't help much, really. If my nose detects a dud, I'll likely PIF the offender(s).

... fingers crossed

SDK likes this.
  2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Please post a review of the Lucky Tiger. I have been wanting to try it!

3. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I could not believe my eyes, they actually carry Sea Breeze. That was my only AS for many years until I thought they had stopped making it.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I look forward to reading the results of your comparison of those BRs.
    I have not tried any on your list, with the exception of the overly clove-y Clubman.
    I do recommend the Ogallala Bay Rum; which I prefer their 'Lime & Peppercorn' version. I used that particular BR for the reference standard when I made my own.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I thought you were going to swim to Alcatraz.. :angry032:
    I have Clubman VI Bay Rum. I really like bay rum. I look forward to read what you like-dislike with each one. Especially the Lucky Tiger.

maltedmilk likes this.
  6. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Got muh box. <— said in best Forest Gump voice

I am imposing a little self discipline and NOT applying three AS to skin tonight. However, here are my sniff-the-bottle impressions:

Lucky Tiger - Very light. Reminds me of a childhood memory of being drug to the beauty parlor with my mom. Smells a bit like I remember hair spray smelling... but lightly.. and with a faint hint of barber shop memory thrown in. I had read that this one doesn't last long. I don't know if it will change much on the skin, but I doubt it will become my go-to.

Lustray - OK, I got almost nothing out of the bottle, so I caved and splashed some on my wrist. It has a super faint smell of ... something... cinnamon-ish.
    (I was sent to the store, so...) 20 minutes later and there is almost no smell left at all. I had SWMBO sniff it (keen nose, that one). She detects the slightest
    powder scent. Yeah, me too... just a little tiny bit... generic talcum sort of powder.

Black Magic - Of the three, this one has some smell out of the bottle, but still a bit light. I would not sniff and immediately say "Hey, what kind of Bay Rum is that?" but instantly classify it as a "men's product" smell. ...but not the modern Axe/Gillette AS kind, either! My wifed rejected the first pass wrist smell, even thought I let it dry and then warmed it by rubbing. She told me to go away for at least 30 minutes. (Like I don't hear that every day, anyway!) I think this one will end up as an occaisional AS for me, but the current status quo is pretty safe.
    EDIT: After the required 30+ minutes, SWMBO flunked this one. <sigh>

I will go ahead and give these the ol' face test over the next few days. On the whole, I was hoping for a real winner. I guess the old winner, Clubman, keeps the title at my house. I like it and SWMBO 1) doesn't object and 2) has at least once commented that she liked it.

BONUS ITEM: I also had Atlanta Barber Supply throw in a shave brush. I'll post that pleasant little surprise over in the Brush forum. >>here<<

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Looks like Clubman is hard to beat.. Thanks for posting, I was hoping Lucky Tiger was a good product.

8. maltedmilk

Article Team
    <sigh>

You know... I was really wanting to try the Ogalalla, but thought I could try 3 for the price of that 1. I should have gone with the Ogalalla. Oh well... live and learn, right? I'll still try them for skin effect.

Hmm... after reading about Garry's Sample Shop, I am wondering if I should give them away in smallish bottles (well, sell at cost... it is a bit much for me to PIF right now. The AS is a sunk cost to me, but the shipping and 2 oz bottles would run about $7 per shipping location). If you've been jonesing to try one of these, send a PM.

I'm not convinced that Clubman is THE Bay Rum for me, but it is my current king of the hill. So many scents, so little money... :sad027: :sad024:

SDK, HolyRollah and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you'd like to try on Ogallala BR, I can send you a small sample bottle. It'l be enough for you to compare & not have to invest the $$ in a whole bottle. PM me if this offer is of interest to you.

10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Have you tried the Kramperts?

Just curious as I have not seen it mentioned by you. It is "really" good stuff, especially for a Bay Rum aficionado.

maltedmilk likes this.
  11. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Alas, no.... but it is on my list. <sigh>

12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I have been dying to try the Clubman Bay Rum. PM me if you are CONUS and interested in trading samples. I warn you that there may be no other option but to buy some once you try this stuff ;)

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you enjoy the dominating scent of CLOVES, then Clubman may be the BR of choice for you.
    [​IMG]

Chuck F and SDK like this.
  14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Good thread, I've been wondering about some of these products. Sad about Lucky Tiger.

15. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Oh, yeah! Thanks for reminding me...

I splashed on the Lucky Tiger today. Pretty much the same smell as in the bottle (see above); rather muted. It felt OK going on. Certainly not the liquid flame for which the Clubman BR is known!

I intentionally skipped the salve that I frequently apply after a close shave (new Personna Blue in a pre-war fat handled Tech). The LT was initially soothing, but I don't think there was "a little something" for later. Reading the ingrtedients, I wasn't really surprised.

I think the smell was gone in 15 minutes. However, when I licked my lip around lunch time, I could detect a chemical presence! (Still can a little, but I feel like a preschooler trying to lick popsicle off of my face. Good thing my co-workers aren't looking!)

Sadly, it's official for me now. I've marked Lucky Tiger off my list. :( NEXT! :kar:

16. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I actually do, so hopefully my sample does not disappoint!

17. maltedmilk

Article Team
    ... and so much for Lustray. The lack of smell was matched by an equally unimpressive skin effect. Though it was cooling and dried quickly, before I got to work my skin was feeling dried out. At one point as I sat down to my desk (about 30 min), I thought I might have smelled a powder scent. ... maybe!

Off my list. :( NEXT! :kar:

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

MM, it appears the criteria you have set forth for your ideal Bay Rum is:

• scent must be long-lasting; not overpowering
    • Cooling/refreshing upon the skin (not burning)
    • Not drying
    • must be SWMBO-approved
    • Natural (non-chemical) ingredients
    • Reasonably priced

I'll be interested in reading your opinions on the Black River bay rum as it appears to be a good 'fit' for the list above—although #4 is entirely subjective…;)

[​IMG]

SDK and maltedmilk like this.
  19. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I would like your take both Kevin's BR and the Kramperts I am sending you.

We seem to have the same taste in Bay Rums. I am seriously considering just making a big batch of the Black River homebrew.

Kevin- Does yours keep well, say if I made enough for a year or so? I seem to remember seeing a recent post of yours about opening up a second bottle that had been aging...

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Since it is filtered and has an extremely high alcohol content, I imagine the BR has a loooooong shelf life. I don't believe the aroma will change with aging, but there's only one sure way to find out...........wait. ;)

maltedmilk likes this.