Palmolive Menthol and Proraso Blue Cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by mbastings, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

I just received an order of the Palmolive Menthol cream and the Proraso Blue cream. I am happy with both, but I have to admit that I'm quite smitten with the Palmolive. First off I love the smell, and I wish I had had it around Christmas time... the initial peppermint fragrance dies down quickly, but then the freezing menthol takes over. What a way to wake up!!! It lathers easily, is plenty slick, and is cheap enough, but what really made an impression on me was how my face felt afterward. I have fairly sensitive skin, but I have felt a couple of times that I didn't even need balm after shaving with the Palmolive, I felt soothed and moisturized. One other cream that leaves me feeling the same way is the underrated Erasmic cream, which I love as well and I wish they offered a menthol version of it was well. I've often wondered if the Erasmic was so soothing because of the Chamomile in it. I use Nivea Sensitive skin after shave balm which is very soothing and also contains Chamomile in it as well. I'll definitely be stocking up on the Palmolive Menthol. I am wondering...does the Palmolive Classic cream smell like the shave stick, or does it have the same minty smell as the menthol, but not as cooling??? Any info would be appreciated since Lifeandlooks.com has the Classic on sale right now.

The Proraso wasn't really a let down, but it didn't jump out and grab me. I was expecting more of a citrus scent based off of some of the reviews, but to me it is more earthy. I would be hard pressed to really describe the scent. Not unpleasant, but not great either. Not a face freezer, but you get a nice mild cooling sensation. Definitely a step down from the Green. I think where it shines is the skin care aspect because of the Aloe and Vitamin E. My face feels really nice afterward. Not quite as nice as with the Palmolive, but close. If the Palmolive gets 5 stars in all categories, then in my opinion the Proraso Blue would get 4 stars in all categories.

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

The Palmolive stick and classic has the same scent. But in my opinion the cream has a bit stronger scent.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Good to know. Thank you. I like the scent of the shave stick, and I really love the smell of the Menthol.

Omelmad likes this.
  4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have not tried the menthol one, I didn't know it excited until recently =P

5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I think Palmolive shave products are overlooked by far too many, far too often.
    I started with the classic (with palm oil) and have never looked back.
    The smell is absolutely fantastic, and I hope they never change it.
    The performance in any water (hard or soft) is first rate and protection/comfort is very good too.
    It's been my first choice as a travel soap for a while now, but I also use it at home at least once per week.
    I've not tried the menthol, but I'm going to now. :D

I also agree with your view of the Proraso blue crème.
    I like it, and like most Proraso products it does it's job well, but to me the smell is overwhelmingly Aloe. :angry019:
    Like you, I was expecting something a bit more refreshing.
    Overall, a good crème, especially if you need 10++ skin care. (maybe really good in harsh, windy, winter climates?)

6. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Soaps with menthol have never been a fan of mine. I tried Palmolive and Proraso Green and PIFed both. I have the Proraso White which, for me, is a most mild menthol compared to the Green. I use the White due to the overall scent and the dynamite lather.

7. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have and use both the Palmolive Menthol Cream (Italian), Palmolive Stick, and the Proraso Blue Cream. I personally like the Proraso Blue scent. All three are permanent members of the Den.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

crackstar and Omelmad like this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Palmolive Menthol cream is a top-favourite of mine. It's one of the coldest - in fact, it's the COLDEST menthol cream in a tube, along with Godrej Menthol Mist. The Palmolive has superior skincare.

9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I might revisit Proraso . I got really nice shaves , well besides the fact it seemed to dry out my skin.

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Palmolive Menthol is my favorite cream. It has way more menthol than Proraso Green, has better performance, and better skincare.

crackstar likes this.
  11. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

Curious how is the Proraso blue scent ? and how do you like the Proraso blue cream in general compare to the red and the green ?