Hot, Warm or Cold ?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark, Apr 14, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am a little curious as to how people like their shave? I personally prefer warm water. Hot water and cold water seem to sensitize my skin. How about you ?

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Hot face wash, warm for the shave and between pass rinses and cold for the final rinse.

BigT likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I start with hot water but by the time I'm into it, I'd consider it warm. I like to finish cold though. When I feel like my skin is irritated already I'll do a cold shave with Proraso Green.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I like a warm scuttle lather

5. Redmond

Redmond Member

Hot water lather. Finish with cold rinse.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Cold from start to finish

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I can make due with all the above. I prefer warm or lukewarm though.

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Same here......

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yep...:signs011:

10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Another cold water shaver here, the colder the better.

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Warm please. If the water coming out of the tap won't let me comfortably keep my hands in the water, it's too hot.

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

This.

13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

When the Summer gets going real hot, I'll load the sink up with ice cubes.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

During the winter and spring the city tap water is cold enough. During the summer and into the fall, though, the water becomes almost luke warm. During those months I keep a bottle of water in the fridge. I'll rinse with the tap water then follow by splashing the super-cold water from the fridge onto my face.

15. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

This is what works for me.

16. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I like hot water, although sometimes I find making my third pass with cold water is refreshing. I don't have sensitive skin, so it's strictly a matter of how it feels to me.

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I used hot water for my shave for the longest time before seeing the instructions on my Rise Super Foamy-warm. It made sense, because as Dick Butkus, Jerry Lucas, and Andy Robustelli say in the ads "Rise seeps moisture into your beard." Seems like warm will do.

18. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Hot water for me. I put my mug in the sink with hot water, and put my brush in for a minute. Hot wash cloth on my face and I'm ready. I got enough cold water shaves in the Army, even if it was a few years ago.

Spyder likes this.
  19. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

In the summer months I do two passes with hot water and the last pass with cold water, which feels very refreshing at the end of your shave. You get the best of both worlds.

Spud likes this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

It is still summer here. Today it was 59 degrees Fahrenheit, and very rainy ... with summers like that, I go for warm water.