what to expect when switching to DE or SE from cartridges

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Atnot, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Atnot

Atnot New Member

I have shaved my head for over 20 years now but I have never used a DE or SE before. I am considering making the change but it seems like the (assumed) lack of flexibility in the blade would make it a difficult switch.

Is it much different? How much do I need to invest to get a decent shave when I switch?

thanks in advanced
    Atnot

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I didn't know cartridge blades were flexible... DE blades are very flexible- I think it is a bad thing in a razor with lots of blade exposure. It can make for a very unforgiving shave. SE blades are rigid, so are injector razors.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The investment is up to you. You can go with a $10 razor, $2 soap and a $5 brush. I'd spend a couple bucks more though. Yes, you'll save money wet shaving. :transport016: <--- what I've spent on wet shaving I could've bought that..:happy102:

ps. What fram773 wrote about blade flex. :happy088:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    markjnewcomb likes this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I shave my head every other day with a Gillette Fat Handle Tech. I think I have nicked myself twice over the past 3 months. The Tech seems to like any blade I put in it for head shaving. The short handle seems to help me keep the proper angle for shaving my skull. My perception is that my DE head shaves are better overall compared to my previous life of cartridge or electric razor headshaves and the bonus of lathering up with a brush makes my skin feel better.

GDCarrington and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Atnot

Atnot New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Would a Razor blade sharpener like this do much if I switch from cartridges or are the blades just so much cheaper that it really isn't needed/worth it?

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you're switching from cartridges to DE or SE you won't need that. (looks like a gimmick, to me)
    DE blades can be found for as little as 8 cents a piece. Most folks get 3-5 shaves out of a blade. Compare that to the cost of a cartridge!

fram773 likes this.
  7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Watching the video on that site made me cringe. DE shaving has spoiled me. Blades can be anywhere from 12 - 40 cents a blade.

8. Schwank

Schwank Member

HI, I only shave with DE's now. it was slower at first but Ive gotten pretty fast with practice. I like vintage Gillette "tech" razors, and Derby blades. they last me about 3-4 complete head/face shaves.

I did better with "head slick" when I was first starting head shaving with a DE, it took me a while to get the right consistency with shaving cream and a brush.

Good luck!

9. Atnot

Atnot New Member

Thanks for the tip I will check it out. Nice Avatar :)

10. fcbayern20012013

fcbayern20012013 New Member

I have been using a straight razor to shave my head every day. It took me a few weeks to get the hang of it after using the Mach 3 turbo for almost 8 years I switched to the straight about 2008.

11. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

You can expect a small learning curve. Once you get the hang of it, you can expect awesome close smooth shaves! Took me about 4 shaves to consistently keep the angle right, not use any pressure, and not be scared of nicking myself LOL

12. axegod

axegod New Member

im sorry i am new to this site. i have been shaving my head for a few years now with a rolling razor cartridge and i like it so far. sould someone please explain what a DE or an SE is please? thank you in advance.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Here's a list of acronyms that may help you out.

But real quickly, a D/E is a double edge razor:
    [​IMG]

While and S/E only has a single edge blade:
    [​IMG]

More examples of these types of razors in this thread.

Tattoobob likes this.