Folding the edge...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Apr 14, 2014.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You hear this many times on the forum when somebody says I just got a razor that was "Supposedly" shave ready but it won't shave..

Usually one of the more experienced members will ask about the stropping and mention "Folding the edge" this is usually hidden by tons of posts with tons of opinions and tons of fixes having nothing to do with the issue [​IMG]

I just got in two Dovo's that were honed by two different vendors, both of which under Magnification tell the same story

I tried to capture what I saw with my USB but it was clear as day under the 65x loupe

These are Folded edges, these will not shave, this has nothing to do with the original honing, this is all about the subsequent stropping, this is what the experienced members mean when they say "You might have folded the edge" ...

Depending on the severity, this can sometimes be Stropped out, obviously these two need re-honing however...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See it really isn't a myth [​IMG]

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So no matter how well I manage to hone my razor, if my stropping technique is lacking, I am effectively 'killing the edge.'
    I need to break out my loupe and start checking my edges pre and post-stropping...
    :shocked003:

GDCarrington and Stroker like this.
  3. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

I think the easiest way to prevent it is to strop on a paddle or take your hanging strop and place it on a table and strop that way..

4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks for the great info. Getting to the point where I feel I have a clue is a much steeper hill to climb than figuring out safety razors.

45auto and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Boy howdy, SDK...

I actually do look at my edges with the loupe, and I don't see anything like that, but I've been having some truoble maintaining the keen edge again lately. Ever since I posted how I had finally honed my razor to some degree of useable sharpness, I can't seem to strop it back to that after using it. Frustrating, since I hadn't been having any trouble with stropping before. Back to the stones...

Jordan Smith and GDCarrington like this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Lol. Not just steep, but this is the sort of thing better taught in person. I feel like if I could spend an hour or two "hands on" with a skilled honer/shaver, it would be more valuable than a months worth of watching YouTube videos.

I feel your pain....

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

So, if you were to manage shaving with the reverse side of that edge, would it tear your face up?

GDCarrington and gssixgun like this.
  8. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Great explanation! The photos show perfectly what you are describing.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Hard to say depending on skin type but I'm pretty sure those edges would give me a feeling like I was shaving with a machete that was sharpened on a cinder block

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Actually you are only seeing a fold to one side, if you look at the other side you will see the same thing, the edge can fold both directions on the same edge :(

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Great explaination and graphic photos of the effects of bad stropping techniques. :signs011:

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

No myth about it. Rolled edges are real.
    After years of carts and disposables, I had a very hard time learning to not press the DE razor into my face.
    Now, I'm having a hard time breaking myself of pressing the straight razor down onto the strop.
    I'm getting there, but it's taking a while.

Thanks for the pictures Glen.

13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Luckily, I have never rolled an edge, even when I was a beginner. I see it's not a myth, but wonder what people are doing to roll the edges like that?

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

IMO and from watching Newbs at the meets, I think the #1 reason is lifting the spine, especially on the away stroke, you can hear it change pitch on a Hollow Grind when it happens...
    There are probably other reasons too, but I really do believe that is the biggest culprit...

Stroker and GDCarrington like this.
  15. That and thinking it's done like in the movies by bearing down with too much pressure. I've seen a few guys do that, as well as you said Glen in that they lift the spine or have to give the blade that raise and slap on the strop.

gssixgun, Stroker and GDCarrington like this.
  16. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I know I folded my share of edges when I started. Then hit the hones with true inexperience lol.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

After viewing this thread, I am far more conscientious about watching and maintaining good 'spinal' contact with the strop. I am certain that, especially early on, I've constantly rolled edges on my razors. Hopefully, folded and rolled edges are a thing of there past. I may have to change my name now to 'HolyShaveh'….:D:D

Karl G, macaronus, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  18. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

It took me a long time to realize my problems started with my stropping. I would hone a razor and have it pass all the tests (hht, thumbnail, shave) just to dull it a few days later. It wasn't until I tried a bench strop that I realized I was my own worst enemy. Once I learned how to properly strop, my shaves were smoother. I even noticed better results honing.

Take it from me, (the guy who has learned everything the hard way) it's all about the basics. When straight shaving, no detail can be overlooked and practice makes perfect.

19. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Ok I am already putting the strop on the edge of my work bench for stropping ( still learning) .
    You and me both brother!...it is very much worth it to learn to do it right the first time.

20. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That was his opinion in the thread and to stop completely before turning the spine for the away strop

oscar11 likes this.