*DONE* PIF for merchant marine/military/coast guard/nat guard

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by markjnewcomb, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

We have winners!

Due to the fact that yesterday was my birthday, I decided to up the ante for this PIF.
    The first place goes to:
    jpb437

He will be getting a slightly better Slim adjustable and the brush. He will get an L-1, which has less plating loss.

Runner up:
    JR Reyes will be receiving the the M-2 slim adjustable described in the PIF.

Let's all thank them for their service.

For those interested, the answer to the trivia questions was:
    The Merchant Marines

The regimental battle standard flag is carried by the US Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York. This flag commemorates the sacrifices of 142 cadets during WWII. The junior officers gave their lives while serving, prior to graduation, aboard US merchant vessels supporting the war effort.

The merchant Marines suffered the highest casualty rate of all the services during WWII.
    Until November, 1940 merchant marines vessels were not ever allowed to carry weapons. Following is a comparison of casualty rates during WWII.

Service Number serving War Dead Percent Ratio
    Merchant Marine 243,000 9,521 3.90% 1 in 26
    Marines 669,108 19,733 2.94% 1 in 34
    Army 11,268,000 234,874 2.08% 1 in 48
    Navy 4,183,466 36,958 0.88% 1 in 114
    Coast Guard 242,093 574 0.24% 1 in 421
    Total 16,576,667 295,790 1.78% 1 in 56

Please read all the rules BEFORE responding

Hi folks, it is time for me to do another PIF, especially since I won 2 in the last 30 days. - this one is for a slim adjustable and a home made brush.

The slim is an M-2. It is mechanically perfect and shaves well. There is a good amount of loss of plating on the comb and will probably not be a good candidate for re-plating. But, it was made in 1965 - what can you expect? The razor has been sterilized, but like any personal hygiene tools, you should disinfect to your own satisfaction before using.

The brush consists of a handle from whipped dog and a 24mm "high density" silvertip knot. Even though it is only 24mm, this is a pretty big brush. It is also a very soft brush. I like the brush, but it is just too big for my face.

How will the winners be chosen? I will line up the list of names and flip beer bottle caps at it until I land on someone's name.

The rules:
    1) You must not already have an adjustable double-edge razor.
    2) You must be considered full-time active duty. This includes national guard who are full-time (not just this week or this month), anyone enrolled at any of the five service academies, and Merchant Marines who are still under obligation.
    3) Respond here with an "I'm in", and send me a pm with the answer to the trivia questions.
    4) You MUST NOT respond with your rank (This will allows me to avoid any possible prejudice I might have against those who do not work for a living).
    5) You must have been a member of this group before today (04/16/14).
    6) You may enter for someone else whom you have a close relationship with, even someone who is not a member of this group, assuming they fulfill all other requirements (one entry per member). When entering for someone else, please put "for my brother", "for my son", "for my friend", or something similar so I will know to whom it will go.
    7) By entering, you agree that you will try to remember that this is a gift, and you will attempt to give it away to someone else if you no longer want it. In other words, I don't want to see this on ebay.
    8) This will close on Friday, 04/25/14. Shipment will be within a week. I will try to ship in a day or two, but I get busy.

So, here are the trivia questions:
    What is the only service academy which is authorized to carry a regimental battle standard?
    Why is this academy authorized to carry a regimental battle standard when none of the other academies are authorized?

Please do not answer the trivia questions in a post.

Good luck.

Mark

brush2.png brush1.png

P.S. The trivia answers do not need to be correct in order to win. They merely need to be answered.

The following are in so far:
    wells1229
    jpb437
    JR Reyes
    henry87349

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Batman9402, RaZorBurn123 and SDK like this.
  2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Not in (not in service / not CONUS / don't know the answers). But great PIF anyhow. And thanks to the contestants for their service!

3. Batman9402

Batman9402 Active Member

Great pif sadly not in service anymore. Good luck to everyone

4. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Active Member

Awesome PIF!! Thank you to all that have and are serving! (Not in) just wanted to express my gratitude!!

Sincerely,
    James

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Not in, but great PIF.

6. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Not in. But thanks to all for their service. Great PIF and lots of fun too. I love trivia PIF's.

7. viper6

viper6 New Member

I'm in, but sadly I don't don't know what "pm" you means, please explain I'm a noob to the forum still learning the lingo.

8. Batman9402

Batman9402 Active Member

Pm is private message so send him a pm with answers :)

9. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I am in for sure. This is a fantastic PIF. Thanks for the chance. I am active duty and due to sign for my reenlistment in December.

10. Wells1229

Wells1229 Active Member

I am in as well, and good luck on your next contract. You learn more and more as the years go by in service.

11. markjnewcomb

click the "inbox" at the top of your screen. I sent you a pm. You can respond there.

12. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Thanks for the PIF and congrats on being the lucky winner of 2. I'm In, and PM has been sent for the trivia questions. Thanks for the lesson.

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Outstanding PIF. I'm not in, I have a Slim and love it a lot. I have active duty time, but still only a Nasty Girl (National Guard.)

crackstar likes this.
  14. markjnewcomb

"still only a national guard" qualifies if you are full time.

By the way, and for the record, we both know there is nothing "still only" about it.

macaronus likes this.
  15. markjnewcomb

sorry, I didn't read your posting carefully enough. Not open for those who already have a slim.

16. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Yeah I said I wasn't in. Just trying to show my support for the ones who do nice things for vets.

crackstar likes this.
  17. markjnewcomb

This will close sometime tomorrow.

I will be flipping bottle caps for the winner late Friday night.
    I will post the winner on Saturday.

Mark

18. henry87349

henry87349 Member

If its not to late Im in if its to late I understand.

19. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

cheers...hoping for some lucky bottle top flipping tonight.

20. markjnewcomb

We have winners!

Due to the fact that yesterday was my birthday, I decided to up the ante for this PIF.
    The first place goes to:
    jpb437

He will be getting a slightly better Slim adjustable and the brush. He will get an L-1, which has less plating loss.

Runner up:
    JR Reyes will be receiving the the M-2 slim adjustable described in the PIF.

Let's all thank them for their service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.