adjustable razors - where do you set and forget?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Apr 14, 2014.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Oh yeah, I've seen Spinal Tap. I may have been under the influence of adult beverages..

burnout961 likes this.
  2. digitaldome

digitaldome Well-Known Member

Fatboy, 2 Slims, 1 SuperAdjustable...set em all on 5

3. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty Long Handle. All on 3.

4. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

In my futur I set it at 2.5 and leave it

maltedmilk likes this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Any of my slims or fat boys I set to 3. I haven't changed them in a long time. I haven't seen any difference between a slim and a fat boy.

maltedmilk likes this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

FULL THROTTLE, BABY!

burnout961 likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Two adjustibles have found their way into my den:
    • Valet Autostrop model B1
    • Wilkinson Sword Empire
    Both are SE razors, neither has numbered dials. So I set them at least agressive for the first pass, medium for the second and most agressive for third pass and touch-ups. Works pretty well for me!

ajdhn, gorgo2 and maltedmilk like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

2-4, depending on the blade. 5 for a week or so worth of beard. If the growth's any heavier than that, I use something with an open comb to mow it off first.

I do not recall ever having a blade that necessitated going above 5 on a regular basis, but that's just my mileage.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For the longest time I thought I was the only one who went midler-to-aggressive!

macaronus likes this.
  10. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Interesting. Starting mild. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

macaronus likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have tended to start on a conservative setting with newly-acquired adjustable razor. By doing this, I am able to gauge exactly how mild the lowest blade exposure setting reveals (i.e. what type of shave it produces).
    With the Gillette Fat Boy & Slim (1-9), I started at 1-2, but eventually would up with them both dialed wide open for the majority of uses. This was, of course, after several weeks of experimenting and slowly dialing up the exposure.
    With the Futur (1-6), the lowest '1' setting was already more aggressive than the lowest settings (1-2) on the Gillettes. I found my comfort zone with this razor to be '4' on most morning shaves; dialed up to '5' on those days where I have extended times between shaves.
    The wide-open Futur (set at 6) setting I used a few times, but found I could get just as close with the 4-5 setting without any additional risk.

12. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

The vintage Gillettes are definitely milder razors than a Futur. I gave a Slim to someone last year whose face just couldn't handle today's multiblade razors and he was satisfied with the 1 setting. Another important factor is the blade. The Feather is the most aggressive. My favorites are Medical Personna (Personna Prep Blades) and Astra Superior Platinum.

I seldom use an adjustable razor because I have found non-adjustables that are just right for me, but I'd think an adjustable would be a great training ground for a beginner. He can experiment and find the sweet spot for himself.

13. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Why don't you just make ten more aggressive and make ten be the top number and make that a little more aggressive?

burnout961 likes this.
  14. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

There's also a reference to the Spinal Tap quote in "It Might Get Loud" - also a fantastic documentary.

Edit: I had the wrong title of the other documentary - is actually "It Might Get Loud" http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1229360/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    burnout961 likes this.
  15. Mark_Toronto

Mark_Toronto New Member

Slim's usually set on 3, I sometimes go up to 5.

I think I'll watch This is Spinal Tap again, with my kids.

Did you know that Christopher Guest is a baron?

16. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I'm still trying to find that # for my Slim and Fatboy. However I've been using 3 - 5 - 7 depending upon the blade with success.

That said beginning to not like my adjustable razors - more because I forget to fully lock them closed in the morning and figure it out after I've razor burned my neck to oblivion. Maybe I need to develop a better habit with these for blade storage between days? So far it seems to be my leading cause of razor burn. I usually take the blade out and rinse/scrub the TTO, rinse the blade, put back together but not twist the TTO fully closed - somewhere I read in several threads that it protects the mechanism from breaking under tension? Anyone have any thoughts or truth to this? Has anyone actually broke a TTO by leaving it fully closed with a blade loaded for 24 hours?

17. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Wow... there is enough in that to generate several threads that would probably draw MANY differing comments. I'll shoot a couple of bullets, though:

¤ Just like the varying internet advice on how to properly treat cast iron cookware (I call it the cult of cast iron), I suspect there is a lot more legend and tradition than there is scientific method when it comes to washing off the blade - especially modern coated blades! I have chosen to reduce handling and merely rinse and store. I just don't see the benefit worth the effort and risk of an "oops." Spitballing at 3 shaves per blade and buying a 100 pk of your go-to, you can get a year's worth of shaves for less than $20. Why twiddle the blade for an extra day... or week, for that matter? UNLESS... extending blade life is part of what you enjoy about wet shaving. In that case... good sailing.

¤ I would hazard to guess that TTOs rarely fail under the static tension of being left tightened. Unless someone just severely cranked one down, then they are most likely to fail when being turned - open or closed. That said, as long as the Samsonite gorilla hasn't been the one cranking your TTO (and you never really know a given vintage razor's history, do you?;) ), I think my razors will outlast me... and though no spring chicken, I ain't ready for my dotage yet!

I think some of these traditions start when it happens to the one guy. Like Chicken Little, he spreads the panic. It becomes a "thing." Though you sometimes gotta respect the "thing," I think it prudent to question the "thing." Shoot... the folks at Snopes.com have become a legend for that very tenet!

I vote that you lovingly tighten your blades into place and then set-n-forget that piece, too! Sounds like your face will thank you and you will enjoy (and trust!) your adjustables all the more.

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I started (Slim, Fatboy) at 3 many years ago. Within a year I was at 5, and about a year after that settled in on 7 or 8 depending on the blade and ran that way for about 3 years. For the last 2 years I am on 9 (wide open) regardless of the blade. If there was a 10 or 11 setting available, I would probably be on that by now. What ever setting you go with now, as your technique improves the desire for increased efficiency might drive you north as it has many of us. Enjoy the ride.

maltedmilk likes this.
  19. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I keep all of my adjustables - slim, FB, long handle Super - on 9. I'd like to get my hands on a vintage Apollo that can be adjusted all the way up to 18 using the included adjusting key.

20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hey, TheJody is around!
    Long time no see, mate. Hope you're all in good shape & health!

IAmTheJody likes this.