adjustable razors - where do you set and forget?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Apr 14, 2014.

1. bharvey60

bharvey60 New Member

9 for FB, Slims, Super Adj. These razors are not particularly aggressive even at high settings. The head weight helps them shave close. With a light touch they give a great, comfortable shave.

2. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I'll agree that rinsing the blade for longevity is a bit silly. That said, some of the blades I have are ones that I have only 1 - 2 of. Rinsing in my mind is more to keep the crud out of the razor TTO to prevent bacteria/mold than anything else. The TTO's just seem to have more crevices where nasty stuff can hide out.

I'd tend to agree - however I have had some non-razor experiences where an old spring subjected to water was under tension for some time and relieving the tension did cause it to break. My limited knowledge of tensile strengths and elasticity of metals reminds me that these things do fatigue over time - however not sure how rust/tarnish/patina effects that. So I wouldn't call the reasoning to loosen a spring unfounded - I'm just not sure how common it would be for these old TTO springs to break from tension fatigue.

I have friends that know the folks who started snopes. As I recall it started out as a joke amongst friends in reference to the quote 'it must true of its on the internet'. There's probably a Snopes entry for that...

I'm thinking that's what I'm going to start to do. I've rotated to my EJ 89 while my face heals from the loose blades in the adjustable. I want to start trying my Fatboy again.

Thanks for your thoughts!

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Don't!!! Do you drive your car in only one speed???
    No, and like a car or a bike you shouldnt use your adjustable razor only in one speed. And like your car or bike you start off with the strongest setting for doing the most work. You have to move away from the curb, ie cut away the most hair. They move on to finessing it right up to the top.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    9-6-3 on my Exec FB.

5. Deniz

Deniz Member

I set my Black Beauty shirt handle on 4, an leave it there.

It really just depends on how aggressive you want to go. I could get a DFS on 4 with no issues.

Hope that helps!

6. gms541

gms541 Member

My Slim is set to 5.
    My Schick Dial Injector is at 4.