From Defective to Enhanced

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Dec 1, 2013.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

We have all seen the advertisements of a certain company that is selling brushes with "defective handles" on a certain auction site. Well I decided to get one of these brushes to see how "defective" the handle was. The company had a statement about the handle on the selling post which is quoted as follows: "I select these shaving brush for sales, because the handle is not very important for shaving brush, I hope these shaving brush will be sold best while the Global economic slowdown, so if you didn't mind the handle, it is worth to buy, thanks!"

Well I understand their point that the handle is a tool to get the business end of the brush, the knot, to apply lather to the skin, however in terms of long term use the handle is important to the user both ergonomically as well as aesthetically. So I decided to take the defective brush with a handle that had a very deep and visible crack, and use the knot as a donor.

In addition I had received in a purchase of old handles a plain stained wooden handle which had a 20 mm hole that could accommodate such a knot as is. I don't know what wood or stain was used, but it had potential. The problem was that the handle made simply with no adornment of any type. So first, I went and found a concho in the shape of a 1943 Liberty Lady U.S. Dime. I went ahead and prepared the hole in the base and then proceeded to apply clear epoxy all over the handle as a finish both outside and inside the handle and applied the concho to the base and let it sit and cure to a nice shiny finish that will keep water out. I loaded up the inside of the handle with some ballast to increase the weight of the finished brush. Next I went and cut out the knot from the defective donor handle and epoxied the knot into the recipient handle. Here is the finished product and it lathers up very nicely and fits well in my hand.

[​IMG]

P.S. In the final analysis, I guess I did mind the handle.

2. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

:happy088: Nice job. I picked up a similar defective brush but mine was badger. When it arrived I could not find anything wrong with the handle. It's now one of my favorite brushes.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have bought some "defective" brushes
    Sometimes was only a sticker missing or a not perfect buffing work
    Sometimes the knot was glued wrong
    Those brushes are very cheap and somebody for example can keep the knot and re-handle.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It has been a while for this one ...

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon, SDK and oscar11 like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

How did you remove the knot from the defective handle?

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice, Gary.

8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Yet another beautiful job :happy088:

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very carefully with a Dremel cutter wheel to cut the sides and where I believed the knot base cleared. Some conservative guess work until the knot is visable to do the final cuts and clean off is complete. It is much easier to use a new knot, but where is the challenge in that.

Sara-s likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The knot was worth the effort.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Shave that is planned for 13 August 2014

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The August 14, 2014 Plan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

Shave 8/24

Slipperyjoe and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Umm..onion soup..:eatdrink020: Looks good..:pot::shaver

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. defectivechimp

defectivechimp Well-Known Member

I like the lady liberty its a unique touch

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Planned Shave 9-25-2014 ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

(01~23~15)

[​IMG]

19. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Very nice GD! Putting your ingenious skills to good use :) Some good verses at the bottom there as well!

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Fidem Scit

Fidem Scit New Member

I have always wondered about those brushes.

GDCarrington likes this.