Update - Light Box Set-up and Shave Bowl Photo

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by LookingGlass, Apr 15, 2014.

1. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

With a number of recent posts concerning the light box, I want to show how I set-up for a shoot. Currently I am setting-up in my woodworking shop using boards and wood clamps to make the frame for the lights. I plan to pick-up some 1X6 boards and build a more permanent frame. You can reposition the lights as needed to get the desired results. Since using the light box is new to me, I want to experiment with the light angles, intensity, etc.; perhaps tinted lights. This is a lot of fun and the results are only limited by creative thinking. Another plus is that you do not need a high-end camera. I think just about any point and shoot will work. So far I have done hand held and used a tripod...both with good results. I am a rookie at this but will be happy to help others make a set-up, if needed.

Attached Files:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice job. So if you want to post your shave gear for the day, will you need to carry everything into your wood working room? Or is this something that can be folded and used at will? The picture looks like it's taken in a professional studio. Again, great work!

3. lobomalo72

lobomalo72 Member

Man I want one now.. I'm gonna steal the blueprints Ed.

4. LookingGlass

I am building the frame so I will not have to carry the shave gear in to the wood shop. Too much of a chance to ding the gear, especially the pottery. I'll make the sides hinged so I can fold it. What you see now is a bunch of boards clamped up - too time consuming. I'll make a follow-up post when I complete the frame.

And thanks so much for the kind words...it is appreciated.:)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

Yeah! I really like the idea of the box folding. I wonder if one could use those car windshield collapsible shades? Hmm. Time to check my wife's car..

lobomalo72 likes this.
  6. LookingGlass

Here are pictures of the folding light box frame. I purchased two door hinges and a 1x6x8 at Lowes. I can fold it compact for storage and I have lots of flexibility in adjusting light angles.

Attached Files:

HolyRollah and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

Great job!

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I like the flexibility you've built in to allow for the tweaking/adjusting of the lighting angles and intensity. :happy088:
    I see a similar alteration happening to my set-up soon....;)

9. GRB722

GRB722 New Member

Very cool. What are you using as the diffuser on the side and top panel?

10. LookingGlass

Plain old tissue paper taped on with Scotch Tape. This makes the top and sides kind of fragile. A pack of 6 or8 sheets cost less than a dollar so if you ding a side, replacing is cheap. One site called for using muslin cloth. I might grab a yard and give it a try. The nice thing about this set-up is that you can do straight side or top light or all sides. I have experimented on the side lighting only with some cool results.