Mike's Soaps: Shampoo Bar experience

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Darkbulb, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Mike's Soaps: Shampoo Bar experience

So, never having tried a shampoo bar in my life but hearing a lot of good things about them I decided to try one out.

I settled on Mike's Soaps as I've never used any of his products and thought this would be a great way to see what he creates.

Ordered it online and received the soap about 10 days later.

Neatly packaged in cardboard and wax paper wrapping that would make any wannabe hipster proud. :)

[​IMG]
    The list of ingredient on the back of the package:
    [​IMG]
    Mike was also kind to include a sample of a bath soap;
    [​IMG]
    Unwrapping the soap it does look very 'home made' but in a rather nice, wholesome sort of way:
    [​IMG]
    It's relatively hard - feels like most other soaps. Not 'brittle' in any way and no chunks of soap will be falling off it :)

This morning I gave it a try for the first time during a shower.

Scent: I am not a big fan of peppermint. I believe this is the only scent-combo Mike has currently so I ordered it knowing that but was secretly hoping it would be stronger on the Lavender side of things.
    Unfortunately it's not. It's pretty pepperminty.
    I didn't find the scent overly pleasant. It even came across as a bit 'artificial'. Maybe I'll get used to it. If I could have this soap in a Stirling "Sharp Dressed Man" scent..I'd be in heaven.

Performance: Wow. Wow.... Absolutely exploded with nice lather in my hair. All I did was rub the bar gently against my wet hair and within seconds I had better lather than I ever get from liquid shampoos. It felt amazing.
    What also felt very different was how the hair felt after I rinsed out the shampoo - it felt, really, genuinely clean.

After the shower I applied some Old Spicy 'Spiffy' pomade to my hair and I swear my hair took to the pomade better than before.

I am extremely pleased with the product. If there was another scent I'd be all over that but just based on performance alone this is one amazing shampoo bar. I love the natural ingredients.

Now I see what you shampoo bar users meant :)

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Been using this non stop since I got it.
    Amazing. Will never return to liquid store bought shampoo.

richgem likes this.
  3. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

Me too, I've been using shampoo bar soaps for a couple of years now from various small, artisan soap makers. Some better than others. I'll have to give Mikes a try.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is a good ingredient base. My personal favorite (Rose of Sharon Acres) is also pepperminty. I prefer spearmint, but it works so well, I can deal with it. (In my case, it has nearly eliminated very stubborn dandruff.) The tea tree oil in Mike's soap will help with that, if it is an issue.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I converted to shampoo bars a year ago and wish I made the switch years ago. Mike's is hard to find in stock so I usually buy QCS shampoo bars. Both make great shampoo bars.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Since you have experience with both Mike's and QCS is there any difference between the two in performance - which one is 'better' than the other?

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My preference is for QCS, it seems to leave my hair a little healthier. But Mike's is also very good. I had mild dandruff and think QCS with lavender as well as the vinegar rinses helped rid me of dandruff.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for posting this. With 2 girls in the house my shampoo options aren't always the best for me. I'll check this product out.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Be patient. There seems to be a very narrow window to order product at times, due to the high demand, and it closes rather quickly.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Mike's shampoo bars last time sold out w/in 24 hours.
    He announces a new batch via his Twitter account.
    I'm stalking it to stock up.....

Last batch was up for sale May 12...and sold out on...May 12 :(

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

There's always Chagrin Valley :love029:

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Any good?

richgem likes this.
  13. richgem

They're my original discovery along with Rose of Sharon Acres.

CV is a huge bar and there are many different options.

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

But are they good? :-D

15. richgem

YES! :p

Tho, I have no idea how they taste.