Please help me find this razor restorer!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mr. Shaverman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The site does razor restoration, from a comprehensive clean and polish to replating. If I remember, the bottom level restoration was about $20.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of their website. I thought I had bookmarked it, but apparently I didn't. I'll recognize it when I see it.

Anyone have any ideas about what website I'm talking about? I've got a 'new' (to me) Super Speed I'd like to have sent for a comprehensive cleaning.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Rustym

Rustym Member

Could it be Razor Emporium?

3. boxerman

boxerman Active Member

bzero007 likes this.
  4. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Doryferon likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Thanks Gentleman! The one I was looking for was http://www.razoremporium.com

I'm not interested in replating anything, but I am interested in their tune up service for the SS I just got off of ebay.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If you use them please report back. I might want to send them a razor.

7. Mr. Shaverman

I definitely will. I know there have been some hate threads over at B&B on them, and honestly I don't really care. I'm not replating and I'm not one to insistently call a service every day looking for updates and hand holding. There are also many good reviews of them at other sites.

Right now, I'm looking at it as I can spend upwards of $20 on cleaning supplies and try to do it myself, or I can ship it to them and have a much more complete cleaning for the same $20. So, unsure what I will do. I have a second SS coming in from Ebay, and I think I'll probably keep this idea in the hopper until I get that one too.

8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

This post was from The Shave Nook forum on January 2nd of this year. (I hope i didn't break any rule by cross quoting boards) This is the full post if you want to look; http://shavenook.com/thread-the-new-razor-emporium

All of the bashing from B&B is from the beginning of 2013 and before. I may send a razor that I have duplicates out to them to for a restore and see their process for myself. If someone is going to invest in their business like that, then I can see finding out for myself.

Doryferon likes this.
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I sent them a slim adjustable somewhere around December of last year for rhodium plating. It came out beautiful. Other than 4.5 weeks of waiting (I don't like waiting), I have no complaints with razor emporium.

10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

One thing to consider is that the above equation works if this is the only razor you plan on cleaning up and restoring. If you think you may keep buying vintage razors it will change the math....

11. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

@onotoman
    Edited Due to communication issue that are no fault of "Restore Razor", I am revising this post. Restore Razor communicated with me via TSD, which I find very refreshing. Since for some reason, I believe my ISP is blocking these communication, which I will take care tomorrow. So I will revise my assessment and give 2 thumbs up to "Restore Razor".

Krona Kruiser plated two of my razors and I am very satisfied with his work. He only does nickel plating, but he does give discounts for being a member of a Shaving Community, and for Military members.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  12. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Not sure what you are trying to restore, but between using my dishwasher to sanitize, $3 in brushes, $7 on polish, and $1 on mineral oil, old rags, and a bit of elbow grease, $20 + shipping and questionable service seems like a no brainier. They do have some nice DIY restoration videos.

13. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

I am getting a 1930s Gillette replated since it has lost most of the protective coating die to age.

14. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Unfortunately this is on the Krona Website: Due to unforeseen circumstances, replating services are not provided at this time. Krona Kruiser-

15. Sarge

Sarge Active Member

Well he is in college, so he may have a full load of courses.

16. Mr. Shaverman

Thanks for the info/suggestions everyone!

Misphit likes this.
  17. Rustym

Rustym Member

I just got a D4 Fatboy (my birth year) and while it's already in decent shape, I want to have it replated. I plan on using Razor Emporium as I think Matt has certainly put a lot of effort into his company and establishing himself in the Wet Shaving community. When I do have it replated, I'll update here as the progress and quality of his work.

18. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I do some replating, but I do not advertise it often because of the high volumes I already receive. I have heard great things about this gent @onotoman and I wish him lots of luck with his new job.
    Everything is done in house from the polishing, sterilizing, and replating. I have been doing this for many years on jewelry for our store and purchased two commercial grade plating machines for my shop to use solely on my razors.

19. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Can you replate Sheratons?

20. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Yes, I however do not do any adjusting. Such as, fixing broken or next teeth, loose handles, etc.