Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Since both badger and boar hair are naturally covered in the secreted oils of the those critters, I venture to guess the milder oils used in PSOs would have little to no negative effect on integrity of the brush knots.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I usually give my brush a good dunk in White Vinegar every month or so. I figure this would be easier than cleaning it once it gets a noticeable build up in the base of the knot.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Kilgore Trout likes this.
  3. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Well whaddayaknow... Had a bottle of almond oil, a bottle of castor oil and 4 bottles of EO/SO's laying around from my soap making experiments :)
    Think i'll try a mix of bergamot and tea tree oil, and put the bottles of musk and tabac back in the closet again - i'm sure i'll be able to trade or PIF them (at least the tabac one) with someone here at a later time

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Haven't had any issues with any of my brushes - badger, boar, or synthetic. Been using PSOs for almost 3 yrs.

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: I use PS oils and PS creams regularly and neither cause problems with the brushes I use.

6. virprobus

virprobus New Member

I was trying to find essential oils to use in my pre-shave and found articles suggesting some brands are not safe for skin. Any suggestion on good brands to use?

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It's not about the brand, but about the specific oil.

8. virprobus

virprobus New Member

My mistake.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When you look online, the description of any given oil should specify whether or not it is skin-safe.

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Very helpful tutorial! It inspires me to do some experimentation. Thanks!

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I hope you will let us know about your results!

12. lgbran

lgbran New Member

Glad I didn't buy PSO . I'm off to the local chemist supermarket to get the goodies to make some. Will keep you posted.

13. lgbran

lgbran New Member

Glad I didn't buy PSO . I'm off to the local chemist supermarket to get the goodies to make some. Will keep you posted.

Omelmad likes this.
  14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Its very basic and much much cheaper to do it yourself =) i always have a small batch made. But I have recently stoppad using. But today Im removing a few days of growth, so i think i'll use some =D

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It is very cheap & easy to make. It is also fun. If you buy some nice bottles, it is also nice, if you want to give small gifts.

16. lgbran

lgbran New Member

Made some today with rejevenate EO ( mixture of Bergamot, Sandalwood,Rose Geranium,Frankinsense, Lavender,Lime,Lemon,Vetiver) . Castor oil $5:00 for 100 ml EO about$16:00 and$6:00 for an old perfume bottle.Already has the Olive oil.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Is the EO a mixture you made yourself, or one that you bought?

18. lgbran

lgbran New Member

The mixture came premixed. Smells a treat.

19. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I am SO excited by this idea! Unfortunately, it is yet another nerdy shaving thing my son is going catch me doing and be baffled by... he is 17, and oddly, can grow luxurious sideburns, but the rest of his face is totally without load-bearing hair follicles. So he doesn't quite get the joy of shaving. He seems to constantly be walking into rooms where I am busy polishing vintage razors, decaying aftershave, reshaping shave sticks etc. Usually I just get a sad head shake as he passes through. In any case, I am buying ingredients for this project tonight on my way home from work.

Omelmad likes this.
  20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahaha I get that look from my girlfriend