storing an alum block PS

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jcr12388, Feb 7, 2013.

1. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

You let the block soak in the witch hazel!? Wild. I would have assumed it would dissolve.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The stick dissolved about halfway. Poured the Dickinson's into another container and fished out the now-pinky sized stick of alum. The alum has clouded the WH a bit but no big deal. Also spiked it with the last of a bottle of M-Bomb I forgot I had, so now it's triple purpose WH.

3. virprobus

virprobus New Member

I usually dry mine off quickly after use and let it air dry for a little to make sure it is really dry before I put it back in its container.

4. El-a-Menthol

El-a-Menthol New Member

I keep mine on a small ceramic tray(?) for bars of soap.

5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

About 6 months ago I came to a realization. The alum must be dissolved before it can be applied to the face. The water on your face dissolves the alum block. The water left on the block continues to dissolve the block after you have finished. Wiping off the water or letting it drip dry means that part of the alum is totally wasted.

I dissolve my alum in water and put it into a spray bottle. A couple of squirts can cover the face and neck. There is virtually no waste.

6. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

It's interesting that you mention this. I started using Alum 2 months ago and I have always used it in the solid form (i.e. Wet the Alum and apply it to my wet face). However, I recently have been using an AS (HTGAM The Beach) that has alum in it. I have to say that is has been leaving my skin feel fantastic. You may be on to something in terms of dissolving it in the witch hazel.

7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have been dissolving it in water. I hadn't thought about putting it into witch hazel. Interesting idea.

8. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I just dry the block off on a towel and put it on top of the Noxzema jar back on the shelf (not a cabinet - it's open to the air. If that makes any difference). I buy 'em at a local Indian grocery and there's no box, just cellophane wrapped. Never had any problems though.

K.I.S.S. ;)

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

+1
    You can't beat the packaging on the Razorock Alum Stick. So easy to use and store.