I've never had a real good badger brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by FanofAceVentura, Jul 24, 2014.

1. FanofAceVentura

FanofAceVentura Well-Known Member

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Very nice, but on the expensive side. And personally, I prefer silvertip badger to best badger. Check out www.whippeddog.com. He has great stuff at modest prices.

3. FanofAceVentura

i will con sider this brush

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

What Sara said...............

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe it's been my bad luck but every badger I've tried has been too floppy and sloppy for me to get to like. Maybe I'm just too used to stiffer pig hair.

Bristle Me and HoosierTrooper like this.
  6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

"Best" badger is just a subjective term that the companies use to identify the type of hair they used, it doesn't mean it's the best brush they sell.

GDCarrington and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Same. I agree on Sara's recommendation. Tough to beat WD for both price and quality in silvertip badger brushes.
    [​IMG]

FanofAceVentura likes this.
  8. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I prefer my boar brushes but I've been impressed lately with a couple of 2-Band Finest knots I've been messing with from The Golden Nib. They've got a nice soft feel on the face while still being fairly firm through the length of the hairs.

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

+1 on the Whipped Dog brushes

10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm the same away. I'm not a fan of badgers, but boars are great. I'd really like to try to find synthetic, actually.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've used old nylon brushes with very likable results.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I've been blown away by my Shavemac silvertip. I thought I was a boar-man, but nope...! Turned out I had just tried the wrong badger before this silvertip.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That said, I know not all badger is soft and floppy...mine were all vintage, maybe that had something to do with it. Someone here, maybe it was Gary, can't recall, advised I should try one of the stiffer types of badger. I probably will someday.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That Brush is very over priced.

If you want to get your monies Worth buy a WD Silver Tip from Larry. www.whippeddog.com. I have one, I would not give it up for love nor money!
    WD01_zpsad91d9c8.jpg
    The only other Brush that I have that will even hold a candle to my Whipped Dog Silver tip are the two Oscar11 Brushes that I own.

16. FanofAceVentura

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096GY082/?tag=thshde-20

ever since i got this my lathers have been a great quallity probley becuase my tecknicue or the fact the rest of my brushes where crap

17. FanofAceVentura

im thinking of geting the case model so I can buy there shave brush tube also my family came to america from England on my fathers side so it has some history to me

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Those are good reasons. Edwin Jagger makes nice brushes, I have a Merchant & Rhoades Best Badger that I'm pretty sure is a rebranded Edwin Jagger and it's one of my favorites. Here's a couple of pics of it next to a brush I got to reknot.
    P1000404.JPG P1000405.JPG

19. FanofAceVentura

Nice brushes

20. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

I am in agreement with the Whipped Dog recommendations! I got a 30mm silvertip from Larry in one of his black handles. Fantastic brush. Always wanted to try a large knot and with all the good reviews for WD thought that the price is low enough that it's worth the risk. Love the brush so much I got a 24mm the following week.

PatrickA51 likes this.