Confessions Of a Night Shaver

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Spud, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Hello, one of the new guys here. I thought I might let in to a rant about why I prefer shaving at night. I'm not sure how common it is, as I do not broach the subject with co- workers or friends, but I realize this behaviour might be against the grain, pardon the pun, as most men, I expect, shave in the morning to enjoy the sweetness of a BBS shave for as many of his waking hours as he can. I, on the other hand, enjoy a shave, both the activity and the many hours after, when it is done just before bed.
    I began shaving at night around the time I started shaving. The cartridges took their toll, leaving my neck red, blotchy and stinging; the redness and bumps lasting for several hours. My face also becomes glossy, shiny. Anyway, i was never happy with the results, regardless of how smooth I was.
    I quickly discovered that shaving at night took care of my problems. By the time I'm up in the morning, my face has had a few hours to heal, if you will, and the shine is gone. My beard doesn't grow especially fast, and I am still reasonably smooth for most of the following day(I only need to shave every second day). Safety razor shaving has helped with the rash a lot but I still get the shiny face and razor burn, I expect, will be something I will have, to some extend, even after my technique improves.
    Aside from the aesthetic benefits, there are some psychological benefits as well. I work in a busy hospital and there is no better way to end the day than with a relaxing shave. The pleasure has grown exponentially for me now that I have discovered traditional shaving. Plus, the feeling of my smooth face on the pillow makes for relaxation and therefore transition to sleep easier.
    I hope I didn't bore you all with this but I thought it a way to share a little more about myself. I am interested in knowing if there are any more night shavers out there or anyone who has some thoughts on the subject. Thanks and have a great day.

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I will occasionally shave at night. If I've had a long day or just feel like shaving I'll do it. It is extremely relaxing, but I feel like I can't extend my various scents to the world if I shave at night. I also shave after my showers, and I'm almost exclusively a day time shower kinda dude.

Spud and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I do like a night shave also. All for the same reasons you wrote about. Don't ever worry about boring us.

SRNewb and Dapper-in-a-can-man like this.
  4. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Night shaver as well. Welcome to the "dark" side.

Spud likes this.
  5. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I shave at night from time to time. Mostly because mornings don't always work and when you need a shave you need a shave!

Spud likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Since we started early morning devotionals last month, there have been many opportunities for me to perform nighttime shaves.
    I find I truly do enjoy the evening shaves. They're a great way to 'end the day'—face feels refreshed, clean & smooth (something my wife appreciates). The aftershave/balm smells good, and having performed the shaving duty the previous night allows for a more expedient process of getting out the door in the morn.

Spud likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Like you when I used carts (last 30 yrs or so) I would shave at night for work before bed and for the same reasons, to let my face heal up a little from the razor burn and irritation.. Otherwise(if I shaved in the morning) I would spend at least half the next day at work in pain. Shaving at night also worked better for me then because I had a long commute to work and so the fewer things I had to do in the morning the better. I'm retired now and I enjoy starting my day with a shower and a shave.

That said the absolute "BEST" time to shave is when "YOU" want to:happy088: I think however you will find that as time passes and your face prep and lather making abilities, as well as your shaving technique improves and possibly you will find products that work better for you (i.e. razor type(DE, SE, Injector or Straight), blades, soaps/creams, pre and post shave products) you will see not only more and more improvement in your shaving comfort level, but indeed quite possibly a complete end to all pain and discomfort associated with shaving. I know I did..:)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Spud likes this.
  8. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

I've always been a night shaver as well. Two main reasons behind this: 1) I found my skin dries out too much in the shower so I prefer to shave on its on, not after a shower; and 2) I get up early enough for my liking in the morning without having to lose another half hour of sleep to allow for a shave (yes I am a "slow" shaver). I have found that reason 1 no longer holds since I have started using a DE razor so am happy shaving with or without a shower now but I still do like my sleep in the mornings. :signs062:

Spud likes this.
  9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I'm a slow shaver as well. I enjoy my time. If I were to shave every day it would only take 10-15 minutes.

Spud likes this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My first DE shave was at night, mainly because I couldn't wait to try it. Now I've settled into a morning routine. I like that it gives me more motivation to get up and get moving in the morning rather than hitting snooze. I also found that if I put it off until the evening, it wouldn't happen as regularly. I have a 1 year old and an almost 4 year old, so I have to wake up before they do to get any ME time. HollyRollah, I feel your pain. I have a men's bible study group on Tuesday mornings and Man Church on Thursday mornings. I just get up at 4 am on those days. Small price to pay for a good shave.

Spud likes this.
  11. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

Do you find that the stubble had returned the following morning? I've only done it once and I got a pretty bad shadow early in the day.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think I saw this movie. Darren McGavin was a reporter chasing a vampire or something.

13. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

My stubble tends to grow back quite slowly so it isn't a problem, plus I don't have a job where it's necessary to shave every day, so generally I'm only shaving every two or three days anyhow. I can feel a slight difference the morning after but generally everything is still looking ok.

14. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

Ok. I've done it once but it started to show to early for me. Though I probably have a thicker beard than most so that is probably why. Thanks for the response.

15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

My stubble is pretty slow-growing so I can pull it off. I'm not really smooth though, I can geel it ever so slightly. By the evening I have some noticable stubble. I have to say that even though DE shaving gets me a shave as close as a cartridge, I don't think the BBS feeling lasts quite as long compared to a cartridge. I expect that is because there is no "lift and cut" action, so the hair is not below the skin.

16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I shave at night too. I want to enjoy the experience and not rush it. Also, I'm always paranoid that I'll cut myself really bad and have to go to work looking like a mad man.

Spud, J_Man and HolyRollah like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Most cuts are hardly noticeable...;)

Mr. Shaverman and Spud like this.
  18. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I enjoy a evening shave sometimes myself, but by and large I shave in the mornings. I'm an early riser (best time of the day IMO) and a shave is a great way to kick off.

KnockOut Shave and Spud like this.
  19. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I used to shave at night, but these days I do it around 1:00pm when I'm the only one home and won't be disturbed. I like to enjoy my shave.

20. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I enjoy shaving at night in the summer the heat irritates my face after shaving so night shaving is perfect.

It is also very relaxing before bed

Spud and KnockOut Shave like this.