Trac II.....IMPRESSIVE!!

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by sandmountainslim, Jan 2, 2010.

1. sandmountainslim

sandmountainslim New Member

I am a DE shaver and have never had anything but irritation from cartridge razors and the Sensor was the only cart razor I ever tried to use on a regular basis.

I have shaved exclusively with DE razors for the past ten years, first with a Super Speed and currently with an Old Type Gillette.

Fast forward to today when I recieved an new Trac II clone made in India and a package of the regular Trac II blades without the glide strip.
    I gave the Trac II a go and prepped/shaved like I do with a DE and this is one fine shaving machine!! I figure the reason I had no luck with the Sensor was its pivoting head and the fixed head of the Trac II is very comfortable for a DE user to employ. The only problem was the head doesn't get under my nose as well as a DE but otherwise I got a DFS in practically no time at all with a two pass shave. Hats off to the designers of T2. I can ALMOST understand why people abandoned their Super Speeds to go to these things back in the early seventies.......almost but not quite :D
    Wp

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I agree. The Trac II is a good shaver. I use one from time to time and I especially like using vintage Wilkinson System II twin blade cartridges. Very easy and efficient shave.

3. haiti222

haiti222 Member

I have found all the vintage cartridges to be be really good (Super II, Wilkinson and Gillette, anyway). If you are patient, you can still get some good deals on them on ebay......

4. houlejames

houlejames Member

I have the Schick II handle with Personna II blades with no lube strips and it is a great shaver. Nice and heavy handle like a DE and a very close, no irritation shave. Blades at Walmart or HEB are 10 for under $3 and one cartridge lasts well over a week of shaving. My sledgehammer slant and Feather blades have been sitting idle ever since I started shaving with this setup. The Bumpfighter handle is quite nice also, but not as heavy or nice looking as the Schick.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Many years ago, I think back in Israel, I had a Trac 11. I used to cut myself all the time, so I threw it away, and went back to DE's.

6. sandmountainslim

sandmountainslim New Member

I have found the Trac II's calling :D
    I have always had trouble shaving the back of my neck with my DE and my barber charges me three bucks between shaves to shave it BUT the Trac II with its long handle and hard-to-cut-yourself blades is PERFECT for shaving the back of my neck!
    At that rate it will get used once per week :cool:
    Wp

7. sas71

sas71 Member

yesterday went to Wally World and bought the Bump Fighter handle ($3 and som change) and hit the grocery store (Food Lion) and bought their brand Healthy Accents blades ($3.49 for 10) and had my first shave today.

first off that Bump Fighter handle is nice and heavy. Feels like metal with a rubber coating. way better than the handles the G and S brand have (damn plastic). The blades see (see above) were pretty sharp i expected them to be dull for the price they were.

So i have my first shave under my belt and all i can say is looks like ill be spending more money trying the other blades that fit the Trac II type slot.

Maybe it was fate since i was born the same year the Trac II came out. :transport035

8. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I typically use my Trac II (with BumpFighter handle) about once a week. It does a good job, with minimal effort. Two passes plus touchup.

It's far easier to get a close shave under my nose with it.

It's also my go to razor when I hacked up my face, and need to give my face time to recover. :sick007

9. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I used a trac II since the first day I ever shaved until I picked up a straight razor two years ago

It worked for me, but the cost of finding and replacing the blades became so great and irritating to me that I decided to learn to use the straight I had been given years back. Now of course, being enlightened by the charm of the straight, I don't think I could ever go back to the Trac II regardless of cost

10. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I started shaving with the trac ii back in the early 80s. I tried all the newer cartridge variations over the years, but always ended up back with the trac ii. I'll never choose to go back to cartridges, but if I had to, it would be the trac ii.

Jordan

11. jthampson2

jthampson2 New Member

Hate to bring to life an old thread, but I figured since I was looking for information, someone else would be.

I'm currently using disposable schick razors since they don't pivot much, but figured I would try and pick up a bump fighter (for backup) since I'll be trying DE. I couldn't find these bad boys anywhere. They don't carry them in the Walmart stores around me (only online), and I couldn't find them in other places either. I FINALLY found them in stock at CVS for around $5. So here's a quick list.

Amazon - $6.45 as an add-on
    CVS - $5.49, call local stores and provide with SKU number to check availability (574897) -> this is what I did.
    Walgreens - $5.99, use "find at store" feature, but there were none local to me.

Hope this helps some of you guys.

Any recommendations on where to buy the carts? CVS had their own brand, 20 carts for ~$9.50. Amazon has the personas (50 for $20.99,http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A6KFI4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UILHLLDUMCAM)

12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Razors direct has pretty good prices on trac 2 carts. I've bought from them before and they're reputable.

13. Maestro

Maestro Member

I am a child of the 90's my first interaction with the Trac II had been seeing my elder brother use one, being my champion and idle, I decided to purchase a Trac II in or about 2008 as at that stage they were readily available in the RSA. It came in a blister pack containing two blades. I must emphasise that had been one of my most memorable shave experiences. A good solid razor!

After the two blades were disposed off, replacement blades of equivalent quality have been close to impossible to locate. One significant consideration was that the Trac II WITHOUT the lube strip provided a much more pleasurable experience!
    Happy Shaving SMS

14. jonmich

jonmich Member

Post free from Singapore - No lube strip - 20 carts Super Max SII $11.99 (60 cents a cart).
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Superm...t=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item4ac9a21c49

However if you can bear to suffer a lube strip, Personna can be obtained for as little as 38 cents a cart if you buy 50 carts or even less if you bid for 200 carts.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/dmckenna1/m...h=item233416c077&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

You could always remove the lube strip with a de or se razor blade.
    Good hunting and Happy Shaving.

15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I still use authentic Trac II/Wilkinson Sword Wilkinson II aka System II/Wilkinson Sword Profile/Schick Super II.
    I have just bought my first Gillette Indian made PII but yet to try them. I am now curious about the Supermax SII/Laser II/Gallant II and Zorrik ZII carts.

16. jthampson2

jthampson2 New Member

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've been thinking about getting one of those. That was my first Gillette cartridge razor.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep.

jthampson2 likes this.