What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Wacker Inox
    DRH Windsor
    "Brutus" homemade boar with too short of loft
    This brush was lofted beyond reason when I made it, too short for a boar. It's breaking in nicely and regardless I like it. Soft and scrubby. I treat it like a rented government mule. Nice shave this morning. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My favorite $15 razor……:)
    [​IMG]

Bristle Me, vwp528, oscar11 and 3 others like this.
  3. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

A rented government mule....

Drive it like I stole it?

vwp528 and oscar11 like this.
  4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Dovo Bergischer Lowe, vintage 1960's- '70's

[​IMG]

5. oscar11

That just looks like a great shaving razor to me.

vwp528 and lindyhopper66 like this.
  6. lindyhopper66

It is and a good brush too. That boar helps with soaps I couldn't lather before. The razor is the closest I get to modern, besides a modern Dovo and a modern Suzumasa I have.

vwp528 and oscar11 like this.
  7. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

First shave with this Shumate 125. Smooth as hell. Also was my first run with the Proraso Red. Not sold on the smell, but it performs beautifully with my WD silvertip brush. An excellent shave in one pass with some touch ups.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406006260.240961.jpg

8. lindyhopper66

9. oscar11

6/8 Wacker Inox
    dVH
    homemade boar
    [​IMG]

10. lindyhopper66

11. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Wow lindyhopper, does that include any customs you may have? I think I have only a Hart Steel razor and a Wacker Stosser I purchased new from new stock (in addition to customs).

Or not. I can't remember at this time. I've been shaving with a Mastro Livi New Grind exclusively since packing razors away on Friday night. It's hell getting old so I'll lean on the excuse that I'm exhausted from the move as the reason behind my lapse of memory.

On the bright side, the move is over, we're unpacking, and soon I can rejoin the ranks of the SOTD regulars :).

oscar11 and vwp528 like this.
  12. lindyhopper66

I have not a single custom razor. Most are so crazily expensive. Bob of OCD razors is a bit more reasonable at $250 for a basic razor, but many start at $650. I love my vintage razors and basic classic lines.

oscar11 and vwp528 like this.
  13. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Vintage Japanese Eiko YSK2 Yasuki steel full hollow 13/16

[​IMG]

14. lindyhopper66

Filarmonica 14 Sub Cero, pre 1952, 2nd generation
    Alfredo Gil, doc226 on other forums, sold this razor to me along with another Fillie and said this was the best edge he ever had on a razor. I agree. It is amazing. Sometimes with straights the first pass can feel slightly rough, especially since I'm shaving with one hand these days, but this Sub Cero felt like the touch up pass. I love the heft and the thin full hollow blade.

I used two of Steve's brushes today, a boar for Pre de Provence glycerin soap and a synthetic for the MdC. This is the first time I've gotten a decent lather from the Pre de Provence. The boar made a difference.

[​IMG]

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Someday I'd love to try one of those large-bladed beauties. I see the Filarmonicas come up at times on ebay, but the prices usually scare me away.
    If I'm outlaying that much coin, I'd prefer to do it from someone I know versus gamble on ebay. Robert, I had the same struggle with the PdP, and you're absolutely correct—the boar does make a difference with that stubborn puck.

lindyhopper66, oscar11 and vwp528 like this.
  16. lindyhopper66

I got better deals from BST on badgerandblade for the Filarmonicas. JapanNippon on ebay has had crazy prices, but recently is lowering his prices on Filarmonicas and C V Heljestrands dramatically. If you keep up with B & B in BST and the Hobbyist/Vendor you'll find some much better prices.

vwp528 likes this.
  17. lindyhopper66

C V Heljestrand MK8
    You can see the tang with jimps is very different from the MK31, 32,32. It is straight instead of semicircular. The blade width is similar to the MK31, 5/8 to 11/16, but the blade feels stiffer and heavier though it is also full hollow ground. the toe was square, but the point and that part of the edge was jagged for some reason. I used a DMT325 to breadknife it to the rounded off point. I like the feel of the MK31 better, but maybe I need to rehone this MK8.

[​IMG]

18. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Ace straight razor

IMG_20140725_093556.jpg

19. lindyhopper66

Thanks for posting. I was beginning to think I needed to the thread name to "What Straight Did Robert Use Today?".

vwp528 likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm still getting the hang of this Rodgers & Sons. Both the blade shape and weight are quite dramatically different from the majority of the SRs I use. 'Practice makes perfect', I suppose. I still had a terrific, yet cautious, shave with it last night! :happy088:
    [​IMG]