Let's Talk : Facial Scrubs

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by AnotherMonday, Jul 23, 2014.

1. AnotherMonday

AnotherMonday Member

I recently made my own scrub with sugar, olive oil and a touch of fragrance. I usually use it prior to shaving and since applying it to my routine, I've noticed a dramatic decrease in razor burns, cuts, etc, as well as preventing ingrowns. Also, I've tried 'exfoliating scrubs' before and haven't found them to be aggressive enough...

That being said, are you guys using scrubs and if so, do you make your own? I'm looking to experiment with different formulas.

tuxxdk and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

What do scrubs accomplish? Do you think that it would clear my face off but make it not dry?

3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Sugar? Is the sugar to give it roughness, or is it for the anti-septic qualities of sugar?

4. AnotherMonday

AnotherMonday Member

Depends on what it's made of and when you use it in your routine, I'd imagine.

As of right now, the virgin olive oil I use in mine is pretty thick and covers the face very evenly. The sugar granules are FAR coarser than the plastic beads used in the OTC exfoliating scrubs, but the drawback is that they dissolve rapidly. The coarseness is tempered with the olive oil so you're not just using sandpaper, lol.

But yeah, a little goes a long way, maybe one or two scrubs with a index finger's worth of the stuff. I usually do this right before a shave, followed by a light facial cleanser to get rid of any excess oil. Then, shaving cream and blade.

5. AnotherMonday

AnotherMonday Member

More so for the roughness, but I've heard of the antiseptic abilities of sugar. I've also read of some using salt instead of sugar because it's even coarser, but... salt sounds super painful to accidentally rub in a open cut, haha.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Pre de Provence soaps—which are tops in quality—contain coarse natural ingredients that do a very good job exfoliating, but also leave the skin feeling refreshed, smooth, and not dry (Shea butter content). Good for both face & body....
    PDP 'Sage' soap

AnotherMonday and markjnewcomb like this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I regularly use whatever SWMBO has cluttering up the shower caddy.

Edit- it's usually one of St. Ives apricot scrubs.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Boojum1, markjnewcomb and Omelmad like this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Shea Moisture makes a very nice scrub.

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I use an apricot scrub a few times a week. Good stuff. I've used it most of my life, off and on. I'll occasionally mix it up with a different type scrub, or alternate. I do that to exfoliate. Exfoliation is important, shaving doesn't do it. I've used sugar scrubs, but have never made my own. I have oily skin so I try to not add more oil to it.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I make one with ultra-fine sugar, shea butter & sweet almond oil. The sugar is for the scrubbing effect. I do not liike salt scrubs, as they irritate my skin.

Adonis, markjnewcomb and Omelmad like this.
  11. AnotherMonday

AnotherMonday Member

Nah, you either wash the oil off thoroughly prior to shaving or apply the shave cream to the oil layer as an added protection from cuts. Either way, the oil shouldn't stay on after the shave.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  12. jpal251

jpal251 New Member

Noxema has a daily scrub that's pretty nice that I use. I've used sugar to clean my hands If they are super dirty and won't come clean

13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I use THESE as I can control how much exfoliation I want and where.

14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

At $12 a piece, how long do they last?

15. Mr. Shaverman

You can get those and similar items in drugstores for less than half that.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  16. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Interesting. Are they worth it?

17. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I use HeadShed by Headblade about once per week on my dome. It does a great job but it's a little coarse for an everyday use. Uses walnut shells for the granules.

18. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Let the good times roll, from Lush

19. Mr. Shaverman

I tend to exfoliate my body with things like that, but for my face I use apricot scrub. For my body, scrapy things like that are great. Usually drug stores and health food type stores are good at finding different mits, sponges, grates, used for exfoliation.

20. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

What, you're too good to use steel wool like the rest of us?

wristwatchb, Sara-s and Mr. Shaverman like this.